Notices

This site fills me with frustration...

Old 07-13-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
~Music is my mantra ----{-@

This site fills me with frustration...

Okay, what is it with people that say they are addicts, yet still take extremely addictive and dangerous drugs and think that it's okay because they are prescribed them by a doctor? This is such a crock that I can barely stand it. I have already met people here that seem to be very nice, open, and honest; but the double standards and denial so many still have are driving me nuts, and seriously turning me off.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DragonInTheSky View Post
and seriously turning me off.
Turning you off what?
Old 07-13-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Because your opinion isn't the same as everyone else's.

I'm sorry but if it bothers you, it bothers you. We all won't see eye to eye all the time.

We all will live our lives by what we deem acceptable for ourselves.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hmmmmmmm. I'm an addict. I take dangerous and can be addictive drugs prescribed by my doctor. That's no double standard. I take this meds because they help me. Where is the double standard?
Old 07-13-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
Turning you off what?
Turning me off using this site. It bothers me to feel like I'm surrounded by hypocritical people.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How is that hypocritical? I don't understand.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My take is a little different: this site fills me with hope...
Old 07-13-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It seems the majority of alcoholics on here are using benzos. Benzos are an addictive drug people! Don't say you're sober if you're not. Just because a doctor prescribes something doesn't mean you aren't addicted to it. I became addicted to pain meds that my doctor prescribed me. Just because it was prescribed to me didn't make the addiction any less real or serious. I guess it's common for addicts to develop other addictions once they give up their drug of choice. In my opinion, you use or you don't use. Any drug that alters your sense of reality is using. It doesn't matter if someone with authority told you that it was okay. It's hypocritical.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Turning me off using this site. It bothers me to feel like I'm surrounded by hypocritical people.
How many days sober are you now?

Are you sure you are focusing on the right threads and support opportunities this site has, rather than others issues?

There is a lot of work to do to get and stay sober, what steps are you taking?
Old 07-13-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You seem to be very passionate with your opinion. If it frustrates you so, maybe take a breather?
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

It seems the majority of alcoholics on here are using benzos.
How did you determine this?

I am an alcoholic who doesn't take benzos.
  # 12 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

<shrugs>

I am sober.

I'm not addicted to benzos.

Just because you had a problem with prescription drugs doesn't mean we all do.

I'm sorry you had to go through that.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Most drugs are dangerous if not taken as prescribed. Many of them are helpful though, and for many people the slight risks are far outweighed by the benefits.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The doctors that would prescribe benzos to an addict are few and far between. I tried to get a prescription when I was going through opiate withdrawal, and I couldn't get one.

Croissant...I am on day three, but have been through the ringer with meetings, outpatient rehab, etc. in the past, and I have a lot of knowledge about how addiction works.

Coldfusion...There is another thread going on where lots of people were posting about their use of long term prescribed benzos.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

EVERYTHING irritated me in very early sobriety. It sucks but you will get through it. You will come to understand this isn't about anyone else. I see music is your mantra. How about this one
Bellamy Brothers - Let Your Love Flow 2012 - YouTube

What's a benzo?
Old 07-13-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Quite frankly, I have to say that if people need medical help and prescription drugs and their usage is monitored by regular MD consults, blood work, and are proving useful in getting the patient OFF OF and AWAY from the habitual problem use of alcohol....then why not? Anyone who uses these types of medications as prescribed by their Doctor are certainly counselled on the risks, and monitored closely. So what's the problem? If you play the tape to the end for some folks, without the meds, they cannot beat the booze.

To judge others based on your own beliefs is human to a degree, but to bring others down with them is kind of unnecessary. Lets all support one another!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The doctors that would prescribe benzos to an addict are few and far between. I tried to get a prescription when I was going through opiate withdrawal, and I couldn't get one.

Croissant...I am on day three, but have been through the ringer with meetings, outpatient rehab, etc. in the past, and I have a lot of knowledge about how addiction works.

Coldfusion...There is another thread going on where lots of people were posting about their use of long term prescribed benzos.
That's exactly my point. You have your journey, others have theirs.

If I can be honest, you seem to be projecting your frustrations and expectations about getting sober on to other users of the site. Many posts used to frustrate me early on, but the fact is, I had to focus on my own recovery, not point the finger at others.

What would you like, them to be banned from the site until they stop taking prescription drugs? Everyone is going at their own pace.

Time to start working on your own plan to get sober, and if your measure is to be clean from any prescription drugs, then that's great! Go for it!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am more referring to people with alcohol AND drug addiction problems. I truly honestly don't understand how someone that has abused opiates or other drugs in the past could use benzos safely. It doesn't make any sense to me. And having been to many NA meetings in my life, anytime someone decided to use any drug, even just a little, it wasn't long before they completely fell off the wagon. Sometimes with dire consequences.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This site is here as a "means"of finding support in my opinion. For me that means I can come on here and find words of support and encouragement.

Does that mean every single thread I read will give me that? No of course not, so I take what I find helpful, try to offer some support back to others. Do I agree with everything I read? Nope, so in those cases I just move forward.

I have been on here for over a year, and although there are many threads I don't understand, there are also many that I do. And it's those threads that I credit with helping to save my life.

I encourage you to keep on taking any support you can find here, there really is so much to be had:-)

Best wishes!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I am more referring to people with alcohol AND drug addiction problems. I truly honestly don't understand how someone that has abused opiates or other drugs in the past could use benzos safely. It doesn't make any sense to me. And having been to many NA meetings in my life, anytime someone decided to use any drug, even just a little, it wasn't long before they completely fell off the wagon. Sometimes with dire consequences.
But your alcoholism and use of drugs might not make sense to other people. Does it matter?

I get your side point, honestly, I do. But the separate statement that it's turning you off the site, I see as the real issue.