Notices

Craving almost did me in

Old 03-18-2014, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Craving almost did me in

Today was a rough day. Anger and frustration towards my kids almost made me relapse. I thought about going to the liquor store and grabbing mini bottles to hide in my purse. Thankfully I didn't but am scared next time I won't be able to stay strong.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to ride out the cravings and ways to channel my frustrations so I'm not turning to the bottle.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

That must be hard on you; sry to hear that but @ least didnt get the booze! Not sure if thot of joining a recovery program eg aa. There's nothing to be ashamed about it plus keep your anonymity private to just fam members only for eg. My point is sobriety is very difficult to go @ it alone. But you can meet a nice group of ladies to help especially in very beginning when body constantly seems to be screaming for a drink. Im sure some are also mothers& can relate to where you are. Give it a try
Best wishes
Old 03-18-2014, 10:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can understand the urge. My son is 7 and has more energy than I would know what to do with. When I feel myself getting frustrated the first thing I do is stop and breathe!!! I mentally remind myself that he's just a child and thankfully doesn't know the demon of alcohol. I'm 8 days sober and for some reason ice cream and peanuts really kill the craving/urge to drink. I have several bags of hot peanuts in my purse at all times.
Just remember to breathe and take things 1 day at a time. Give your young ones extra hugs with the joy of knowing that you don't smell like liquor. I had to find out the hard way the a child has a nose of a blood hound.
You can do this!!! You are stronger than the AV. Best wishes to you. Turn off everything and go to sleep. This day is done
Old 03-18-2014, 10:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some good tips for cravings here summerhaze

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 03-19-2014, 02:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Glad you didn't succumb xxxx
Old 03-19-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Summerhaze1 I can relate. I'm a mom of 3 and sometimes dealing with my kids really pushs me to that point. I had a very close call over the weekend myself.

When those thoughts of "I really, really want or need a drink to deal with this" come, I try to stop that internal argument as soon as possible before it can take hold and wear me down. I take a deep breath, count to ten and remind myself that it's hard, but I will not drink over it. I distract myself with something mindless...play a game on my ipad, read, go on the computer, get out of the house for a bit, etc. Something to give my mind a rest and change my thought pattern (a little escape- other than alcohol- I guess). I eat or drink something, usually either something with protein or something sweet. Sounds simple, but not eating or staying hydrated can affect my moods. Sometimes I even need a good cry - it's a release. But the most important thing I remember is - I want to stay stopped more than I want to drink. So to do that I have to give the cravings time to pass and they do. I know that I will always have those stressful times, it's the nature of parenting, and as overwhelming and uncomfortable it can be to deal with - I don't have to and can't drink over them. Some days are harder than others, but I'm always glad I pushed through.

I'm really proud of you for getting through the day - I know how hard it is. Well done and stay strong.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cravings are born out of stress. And stress will come and go, without warning, in various degrees, for the rest of your life. Obviously, alcohol is not the answer. Nor will it ever be. Thus, the most important thing you can do when you're angry is to delay.

Delay. Delay. Delay.

The next time you get angry, don't say or do anything, take long, slow, deep breaths, and start counting to ten.
1-1-1000
2-1-1000
3-1-1000
Etcetera...

If this doesn't work, start counting to one hundred. If that doesn't work, simply walk away and call somebody. A-n-y-b-o-d-y.

Hope this helps
Old 03-19-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Summerhaze1 View Post
I didn't but am scared next time I won't be able to stay strong.
This is your AV talking.

Consider this analogy: I haven't hit a baseball for years, so I go to the batting cage and find that I can, in fact, swat a few. Then I leave and think I don't know if I can do that again.

How does that make any sense? I just did it. Of course I can do it again. In fact, I'll probably be even better at it because I have some practice.

If you become confidently sober your addiction will die. It will fight you by telling you lies like, "you can't do that again!"

Tell it to go take a flying leap.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the words of advise and comfort. Today was a great day. I felt good, happy and no cravings!!!