Notices

O/T: Feel bad about pressing assualt charges

Old 03-19-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

O/T: Feel bad about pressing assualt charges

I have been in many alcohol related incidents that were my fault. I've taken responsibility for them as well. I've been sober for a couple of weeks now.

About a month and half ago, I was at a party with my friends. We were all getting pretty drunk. A guy I know was outside talking to his ex-gf, they had just broken up. I walk outside to smoke and they tell me that they are having a personal talk and want me to go back inside. I tell them to just go to a car if they want to talk. I eventually go back inside.

About 5 seconds later, the ex-gf barges in and claims I called her a *****. Which, I did not at that point. She starts screaming at me. Well at that point I do call her a *****. She slams the door and leaves. Her ex-bf barges in and starts yelling at me and charges me. He starts punching me and takes me to the ground. People there pulled him off. He wanted to just shake hands after it happened but I told him no and that he messed up. I had multiple bruises on my face and ringing in my ears. I called him the next day and told him I wanted an apology, he told me to apologize first. I did not.

I pressed charges on him the next day. Today he leaves me a voice mail because apparently he just got served today and has to appear in court. I could tell on the voice mail that he was scared. I feel bad for him, but should I? I gave him a chance to apologize. And either way, I didn't make him attack me. Just wanted to vent.....

EDIT: Yes I know this all sounds extremely juvenile, it is. That is why I want sobriety so much. I'm tired of being a drunk and getting in these situations.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Personally, if it was me, I wouldn't feel bad. Nobody should lay their hands on anyone else.

Maybe that person needs a wake up call for his alcohol use. Maybe this is what it will take.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When you break the law you pay the price. He knew what he was buying when he raised his fist. I wouldn't feel bad for a minute.

Definitely cuts down your risk of being punched if you stay out of places where people are drinking to excess though ..

Glad you were not seriously hurt in the fracas. Stay well.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. One of the main ways I'm achieving sobriety is that I no longer frequent places where I've drank in the past. I've also cut contact with a lot of my old drinking friends. I have a huge heart, and I feel bad for people when I shouldn't.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I hope and pray that by you pressing the charges and allowing this to go through the courts that BOTH of you LEARN something from the experience.

Love and hugs,
Old 03-19-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How well do you know this person? Is this type of behavior out of character for this person? Personally, I'm a forgiving person, but I would have to know that the guy wouldn't go out next week and do something similar before I would drop the charges.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

He has assaulted me before in the past when we've all been drinking at least 4 or so separate incidents going back about 6 years. I let it go at the time b/c I was younger, but this time it was different b/c it was a full on assault and I really felt wronged.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't know what the nonsense code guys live by is that says that if someone says words that you don't like it is ok to use physical violence to physically injure them, but I suffered from that delusion myself.

We live in a society and the rule of law. This is his consequence for acting totally unacceptably.

It sounds like you are taking responsibility for your part in it. You may be contacted by a victim/witness coordinator to get an impact statement for sentencing. Tell them how you contributed to the incident, and how you feel about it.

Ultimately he violated your physical security. He's lucky that all you did is call the cops, IMHO.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well whatever you decide, I'm positive it's time for you to break contact with this person.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
Well whatever you decide, I'm positive it's time for you to break contact with this person.
I agree. I actually have not talked to him since asking for an apology and have avoided all situations where he may be present.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

battery is against the law, do the crime, do the time.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hi Rick, I've also repeatedly gotten myself into bad situations like yours through my drinking. Sometimes i start it, sometimes i'm just in the wrong place/wrong time, but either way stupid drunk stuff doesn't belong in my life. I never get into trouble when I'm sober and I'm sure you are the same. Just another reason for us to change, right?
Old 03-19-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
hi Rick, I've also repeatedly gotten myself into bad situations like yours through my drinking. Sometimes i start it, sometimes i'm just in the wrong place/wrong time, but either way stupid drunk stuff doesn't belong in my life. I never get into trouble when I'm sober and I'm sure you are the same. Just another reason for us to change, right?
Exactly. I've never even had a speeding ticket sober. Unfortunately, the drink has gotten the better of me in the past. I had a very bad incident where I blacked out and stole a shuttle bus and crashed it. I was able to get out of that with all the charges dropped except a traffic charge and 1 year probation. I took responsibility and paid all damages. Took out most of my savings. I've never attacked anyone though, thank god, but I've said some horrible, mean things when I'm drunk. Things I'll never be able to take back.