View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 05:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
ForMeForThem

Summerhaze1 I can relate. I'm a mom of 3 and sometimes dealing with my kids really pushs me to that point. I had a very close call over the weekend myself.

When those thoughts of "I really, really want or need a drink to deal with this" come, I try to stop that internal argument as soon as possible before it can take hold and wear me down. I take a deep breath, count to ten and remind myself that it's hard, but I will not drink over it. I distract myself with something mindless...play a game on my ipad, read, go on the computer, get out of the house for a bit, etc. Something to give my mind a rest and change my thought pattern (a little escape- other than alcohol- I guess). I eat or drink something, usually either something with protein or something sweet. Sounds simple, but not eating or staying hydrated can affect my moods. Sometimes I even need a good cry - it's a release. But the most important thing I remember is - I want to stay stopped more than I want to drink. So to do that I have to give the cravings time to pass and they do. I know that I will always have those stressful times, it's the nature of parenting, and as overwhelming and uncomfortable it can be to deal with - I don't have to and can't drink over them. Some days are harder than others, but I'm always glad I pushed through.

I'm really proud of you for getting through the day - I know how hard it is. Well done and stay strong.