Notices

What next? Living life after quitting.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What next? Living life after quitting.

I wanted to start a new thread. My previous threads have mostly focused on the process of quitting things and I've tried to kind of document that both so I can read back and see how far I've come and maybe to help others see the journey. (If you don't know, you can find my other threads by clicking my username and then 'Find all threads started by DG0409').

Now, I have 10+ months no cigarettes, I'm a few days shy of 7 months no alcohol, I have 3.5 months no weed, and almost 2 months off of caffeine. I no longer feel like I'm in the 'quitting' phase. And none of my old threads seem like the appropriate place to post as what I'm going through doesn't really relate to a specific substance but to a continuing recovery process in general. Although, I am starting to think of it more as 'living life' than as 'recovery'.

I'm not sure this really even belongs in the Newcomers forum, but I wasn't really sure where else to put it.

Basically, I'm starting this thread to document my thoughts, feelings, goals and progress in this new phase of recovery. My hope is that others in the same phase perhaps gain something from this, and also that perhaps newcomers can read and just see how things are different after several months. My other hope with this thread is that it will give me extra motivation to stay on the path I'd like to be on and not slack off in regards to my new life.

For today, my focus is to be productive at work. Day by day I've been getting better at not procrastinating. The more I achieve the better I feel about myself.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My sober date twin I hear you loud and clear!! Feeling quite similar. It's no longer a daily or even weekly struggle it all just is. I'm in the phase of picking up the shattered glass from the years I "slept" away! I've recently thought we need an "in the middle" section here. I'm not a Newcomber but also not a veteran.

Anyway enjoy your day your life your victories!!!! Happy early 7 months I will be thinking of you Thursay
Old 11-04-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you feel comfortable with yourself at this time and are moving on in recovery.

I have found that recovery is a lifelong journey and I continue to find new things revealed to me as I'm on this path. I think recovery is about living the best life you can, and it sounds like you're ready to do that.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on your recovery. All of you who have had continued sobriety help me to know if I just stick with it I can be in your shoes in months if I want it and try hard enough. Thank you for sharing!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

thanks for u post, it kinda has made me think more on how to become less addicted to certain things.

You have done alot and thats great. wish u all the best. xx
Old 11-04-2013, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm glad things are going well for you.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think you're making awesome progress DG! I also agree, there are many phases in recovery. I call it a "life journey". My attitude changed, my goals changed and most importantly, I changed.

Thank you for sharing your journey with us!
Old 11-05-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ImperfectlyMe- Thanks. And and early congrats to you on 7 months as well!! This last month seems like it's flown by, seems like we just celebrated 6 months.

Anna- I definitely agree with your assessment about recovery.

Citrus- Yep, just take it one day at a time and you'll be here sooner than you know.

Erratic- I'm glad you've found the post helpful. Wish you all the best as well.

Thanks Least.

Opi- Always good to see you pop up in a thread.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Early on in recovery, I felt very gung-ho about everything. In some ways, it was easier then to focus on taking things one day at a time and focusing on healthy behaviors. Now that I've been at this for some time, I sometimes just don't feel like engaging in my healthy behaviors. It's little things like neglecting to get enough exercise. The problem is that when I let that happen, I don't feel as positive and healthy about life.

I think part of it is also that in early recovery, I was focused pretty solidly on recovery. Now, I'm trying to do more and it becomes more difficult to juggle more things.

Early on in recovery, I got in the habit of writing out my schedule for the day and including things like exercise. I still do that, but I'm not always as good at sticking to my schedule.

Just for today, I want to focus on sticking to my schedule and not neglecting any of the healthy behaviors I have listed out.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sometimes, I become impatient because I feel that I never accomplish enough in a day. I wish progress was faster. If I look back at how far I've come though, it's really amazing. And each day, I accomplish just a little bit more than the day before. I have to remember to have patience and keep in mind that I can't live my whole life in a day.

Just for today, I am focused on sticking to some recovery behaviors, doing a bit of work and making a few appointments (the Dr. for me and the shop for my car).
Old 11-06-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

DG, it sounds like you're doing great and keeping on top of things.

I always say that Balance is crucial to me in recovery. And, I hope that you can find some balance in what you plan to do each day and what you really do. Early on, I would go to extremes to get done what I said I'd do, and now I'm more relaxed about it. Be kind to yourself and believe without a doubt, that you are right where you should be at this moment.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna.

Balance is actually something I struggle with a lot. It's easy for me to get focused on one thing to the exclusion of other things. For example, I'll get focused on work and neglect to eat lunch because of it. Definitely something that I need to continually work on.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DG0409 View Post
Early on in recovery, I felt very gung-ho about everything. In some ways, it was easier then to focus on taking things one day at a time and focusing on healthy behaviors. Now that I've been at this for some time, I sometimes just don't feel like engaging in my healthy behaviors. It's little things like neglecting to get enough exercise. The problem is that when I let that happen, I don't feel as positive and healthy about life.

I think part of it is also that in early recovery, I was focused pretty solidly on recovery. Now, I'm trying to do more and it becomes more difficult to juggle more things.

Early on in recovery, I got in the habit of writing out my schedule for the day and including things like exercise. I still do that, but I'm not always as good at sticking to my schedule.

Just for today, I want to focus on sticking to my schedule and not neglecting any of the healthy behaviors I have listed out.

First and foremost I just want to say I have always enjoyed reading your posts. Good for you on your recovery and new healthy (non addictive) lifestyle.

I very much relate to the bold. I am still newly sober and trying to figure this all out, but I immediately tried to replace my old addictive behaviors with new "addictive" behaviors...or at least shift them to something productive. Exercise. I try run/ walk everyday. I enjoy the feeling that comes AFTERWARDS, and even enjoy it a bit whilst as opposed to drinking where I enjoyed it DURING and HATED it afterwards. I feel accomplished after a good run. Its something I can control...and it is a positive healthy release of stress. When I fail to run or walk on a particular day I find myself restless or feeling "defeated"

I think, for me at least, it comes down to switching something I controlled. Not to say my drinking was under control, but it was ME who chose to drink, it was ME who controlled my actions (so to speak) so now I am attempting to shift that into healthy, life changing things. Diet, lowering caffeine consumption, exercise, reading, etc.

I think these things are important, at least in early recovery because it gives us addicts something to focus on. Something we CAN control, and something that is beneficial.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Impressive

Congrats on your hard work! I'm relatively new to all this, have been trying to taper down/moderate my drinking for months and finally decided to stop completely. I'm really grateful to posters such as yourself who are sharing their experiences after the initial couple of weeks/months. This is going to help me a lot. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you Weaver. I can definitely relate to what you've said as well. I too made a lot of the same lifestyle changes as soon as I quit drinking.

SunriseSky- Glad you made the decision to stop completely. I tried for a long time to moderate my drinking with no success. Sobriety, although it has brought some challenges, has brought many great things to my life. Keep at it, it's worth it!!

Since I quit drinking, I have gotten in the habit of eating again. Which all and all has been rather a positive thing. Even before my drinking days, I tended not to eat enough and perhaps to be kind of borderline anorexic. So not having my ribs trying to poke out is a good thing. But I have put on a tad more weight than I am comfortable with and over the last few months I've been slowly putting it on. I'd definitely like to reverse that trend before anything gets out of control.

Really, it's probably only about 5-10 pounds that I'd like to come off. I'm not looking to overdue this and it's more important to me to be healthy than to be skinny.

So for today I am going to focus on not over-eating. I'm certainly not looking to starve myself, but I probably don't need second-helpings at dinner either so that I'm stuffed and don't feel like doing anything other than sitting in front of my computer or going to bed. Also going to make it a priority to get in a bit of exercise.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

DG,

Wow! You have four major "quits" on your timeline. All that YOU have accomplished in such a short time is huge. I am impressed with all your strength and will power. Thanks for your posts.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Dealing with the Blues

It's easy for me to slip into feeling blue. As long as I'm focused on the task at hand, I'm ok. But it takes continually reminding myself to pay attention to what I'm doing and pick something productive to do next. When I don't keep on it, I just waste my time and feel bad.

Which is kind of where I'm at at the moment and has kind of been a general trend for the day. Although I've gotten back on track several times today, I seem to keep derailing. So, time for a deep breath and picking the next task. In this case, I'm off to play my drums.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

7 months no alcohol

Well, today is 7 months no alcohol for me.

I feel like it's important to celebrate milestones, to take some time to be proud of ourselves when we hit them, and to appreciate how far we've come. I always like those days when I hit an important milestone in my recovery. It just adds a boost to the day.

It's Saturday and I don't have any particular goals for the day. I'll probably do some chores, try to sneak in some exercise, play my drums for a bit, and just enjoy the day.

I spent yesterday taking the cars in for maintenance, to the car wash, etc. When I was drinking, I was never very good about getting them in for things when I should. Now, I'm trying to be better about it and stay on top of routine things that need done.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post. I am at two weeks and this is the time when it gets hardest (not my first two week mark) because the last bad night doesn't seem as bad as it did when I decided (again) that I need to abstain totally. I still feel committed but I get that voice in my head that says maybe I still have it in me to not have a drinking problem. Of course, I also remember that I've said that before and always ended up in the same place.

I know it's a long road and I am anxious and excited to get to the point where I am back to living life instead of constantly thinking about drinking, or rather thinking about NOT drinking.

Congrats and thanks again.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

WH- that voice is just the AV coming up with lies to try to lure you back in. Best to remember it's BS and just move on. You can do this.