What to expect in first month of sobriety?

Old 10-07-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to expect in first month of sobriety?

I am on day 5, have noticed a few changes, anyone else have these as well?

Sleeping better and through the night, no nightmares
Skin isn't as dry/dehydrated
Face isn't puffed up, eyes are whiter
I am sleepy and ready for bed by 9 pm, haha.
Eating more frequently
My focus has improved and ability to 'process' information
I feel happier for sure!
Thirsty as heck!

Old 10-07-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewLifeGirl View Post

Eating more frequently
I feel happier for sure!
Thirsty as heck!

Yup, and some!

Congrats on the 5 days
Old 10-07-2013, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep all of the above and it only gets better....Many congrats on 5 days...Amazing job.....Steve.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Im on day 9 and starting to see myself and my life more clearly. I got the motivattion to exercize today for the first time in forever. Im cleaning the house, reading, and planning my life without being drunk. Baseline anxiety is way down but not completely gone. Also getting less negative intrusive thoughts and guilt.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job Newlifegirl. More good things to come.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Im on day 3 only....but finally after 3 years my husband took notice of my problem and told me he was concerned. I guess that has helped me realize that now my problem is noticeable and I need to stop. I eat so much now, which I find hard...very irritable and inpatient and down. I cant wait to make it through the month. If I can go two years in a row without boos because I was pregnant then I sure as hell should be able to do it for myself! Nice to read everyones post and be able to relate.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I wouldn't want to go through the first month again.
The highlight was the new friends I found in AA, they made me feel welcome and gave me hope.

Other than that I could not sleep because the skeletons in my closet came out dancing every time I closed my eyes. I had tremendous mood swings, feeling good one moment, then feeling like the world was coming to an end the next.
Sweats, shakes, lack of appetite. Tremendous fear at times. Sore skin.
Unable to get out of bed in the morning, dreading each day.

My selfish, instinct driven, behaviour lead me into conflict almost daily.
No friends would talk to me and my family openly expressed the view that I was not sincere in my efforts to recover.

When I went out, I had a fear of running into people I had harmed, who might want revenge. I was constantly looking over my shoulder.

I was deeply ashamed and could not speak in the AA meetings. I couldn't string a sentence together. I just sat down the back and looked at the floor.

Deep down I did not believe I would recover, I felt very undeserving of the kind words and encouragement offered by the AA members.

I just hung in, one day at a time, following suggestions to the best of my limited abilty, too stupid to argue, and in the next month or two I began to get better.

I see now that everytime I tried to stop on my own I copped these horrible symptoms. Being sober was, in my experience, absolutely horrible. That is until I began to apply AA principles in my life, then sobriety became a joyful experience.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

wow, GottaLife, that's intense! I am so glad my first week hasn't been like that, I give you a lot of credit for making it through!!!

I did all my drinking alone, so most of my destruction went towards alcohol shutting me out of being with friends and living a real life.

I have been physically feeling great until today, lots of stomach upset.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Way to go!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Everything that happens in the first month, first six months, first year can all be summed up in one word - change. Sometimes whether you want it to or not.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

wow, GottaLife, that's intense! I am so glad my first week hasn't been like that, I give you a lot of credit for making it through!!!
You are too kind I have no idea how I survived, I only brought a little willingness to the table. In terms of intelligent action, choosing what socks to wear was a big decision. I was well screwed mentally. The credit should go to the AA folks who helped me each day, and some kind of power, beyond my understanding, that seemed to give me the courage to hang in there.

Hopefully you are blessed with enough insight to avoid a journey of that type.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

At first (and especially now) I did notice a decrease in anxiety.
Looking back, I guess on day five or so I was feeling a sort of "coming out of the fog" feeling. I was expecting that to happen on day 1 or 2 of no drinking... That's another thing, I feel as if around day five or so, I would get discouraged (I tried to quit drinking a few times but failed.)
I have just a tidbit of advice... Just don't get discouraged! If you feel all those things that you mentioned today, and then don't feel them tomorrow, please don't feel as if "nothing" changes when you become sober. Or that they change, but then just go back to being the same old, same old. Things really do become very different, or at least much, much better.

Let's see, some other things I was feeling around day five:
thirsty, like you!
vivd dreams
a sense of accomplishment
frustrated
irritable
tired!

Good work on your sobriety. You're taking an incredible step!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Eating more frequently
I feel happier for sure!
Thirsty as heck!

OMG I am on day 23 and each and every one of these things you mention has also happened to me!! Every time I look in the mirror I get a surprise at the changed face that is looking back.....it is that noticeable!! And I feel so much better too!! It's great isn't it?
Old 11-05-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hazeleyes24 View Post
OMG I am on day 23 and each and every one of these things you mention has also happened to me!! Every time I look in the mirror I get a surprise at the changed face that is looking back.....it is that noticeable!! And I feel so much better too!! It's great isn't it?
That's awesome!
I'm on day 6 and haven't has as spectacular results thus far... however, the past two days I have been exercising which used to be my coping skill (eventually fell to the wayside for alcohol) so that's pretty cool for me right now.
I haven't noticed much difference in my facial appearance... but we'll see. I'm not getting discouraged because I have seen some improvements such as the aforementioned exercising and also last night was my first night without night sweats! Thank GOOODNESS! Those are the worst... feels so disgusting and so frustrating being both cold and hot at the same time.
My dreams are pretty gnarly though- weirdest nightmares and I'm finding it pretty difficult to sleep. Hopefully that decreases soon.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats NLG! Thirsty all the time lol.....totally relate. I chose AA so I could find some sober friends who are always willing to do what works for them. Now I'm lucky enough to live with 2 of them. They each have their unique personalities, and sometimes we but heads, but the common denominator we share is we're all growing spiritually, emotionally, mentally, and physically. Pretty cool life sobriety brings. Meditation, exercise, and watching what I eat alleviates most of my uneasiness. Also, talking to someone I can trust, or just keeping busy. These are all suggestions. If you want to get better, you'll find what works for you. Best of luck. Look forward to reading your future posts!
Old 11-07-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Im working my way there... i was an every night drinker, and opened up to my husband and then went to every other night, and this week I have only had a few drinks...im scared of withdraw, but Im so sick of the way I feel...im hoping I can get to the place you all are at
Old 11-07-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I guess Im looking for help from others who have experienced it, its hard to relate to those who dont know how hard this is. Reading these stories is helping so much and making me realize I can do this, and that the thing I should be scared of is the alcohol
Old 11-07-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Eating more frequently
I feel happier for sure!
Thirsty as heck!

I was able to turn the cellphones back on...and read my email.
Also I stepped outside quickly to get the mail.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

This is such an inspiring read, glad I've come across it. Currently going through the insomnia and the shakes, and that horrible impending doom, but this has given me hope. I've done it before and know it does get better. I didn't even realise how physically awful i look. Drawn and thin and just really sickly. I am taking this a day at a time in the knowledge it does get better. Withdrawal is awful but i want my life back instead of an existence. The guilt and shame and self loathing i feel are also frightening. I have decided to look for a sponsor and do the steps ... four years around AA and i keep releasing. Need to do something different....and i hear they work! Because jeez i need a miracle. I Will not live to see Christmas if i kept going the way i was.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Try18

Pulling for you.