What to expect in first month of sobriety?

Old 01-12-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Had 17 days sober. Slipped New Year's Eve. Back on the wagon 3rd January so 10 days now on my second attempt. I feel much worse this time.

My question is... My anxiety is off the scale this time. Granted I have work problems but I can't seem to get a grip on it. I have all the tiredness, thirst, sleeplessness and regret in spades.

Anybody else get increasing anxiety day 10 and onwards? Most posts here seem to say anxiety abates after 5 days or so. I'm worried!
Old 01-12-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
waking down

Day 14 for me was horrible, but 15-17 have been great. It comes and goes for me. I've read this can be the case for quite some time. Everyone is different.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

The first month was filled with incredible highs and even lower lows. There was a period of intense fatigue that was following by insatiable desire for anything sweet with some intermittent crazy anxiety. And then there were really good days. On the whole it was unexpectedly awful.

Be kind to yourself, sleep if your body wants to sleep and eat if your body wants to eat. Exercise and eat well if you can. Realize that the obsession of the mind is going to try to figure out a way to justify taking a drink.

I had only one daily objective for the first month (and every month). It was don't reach for that first drink.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

This is great and inspiring to read. A lot of what I've read are the bad effects in the first few weeks so it's nice to know there may be some immediate benefits as well