Notices

Calling all prayers

Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Calling all prayers

Hello All,
I am scheduled to work 8 hours a week. Wednesday 8-12 and Thursday 8-12. This is what happened from bringing up the situation of the Manager berating me in front of customers.
I am filing a complaint with the California Labor Commissioner of Industrial Relations. I spoke with a lawyer this morning. I have already applied for a few jobs. I just need to vent, so whoever is reading this Thank You.

Calling a co-worker a homophobic slur that starts with F is unacceptable.
Calling a co-worker an Alcoholic, and belittling her to me is unacceptable.
Grabbing your child by the arms, and shaking her in the business is unacceptable.
Having your workers work 8+ hours with out a break is illegal.
Bouncing paychecks, and not paying for full hours is illegal.
Yelling at me in front of customers, and others is unacceptable.
Manipulating me in text is unacceptable.
Hiring on a person for full time and then constructively firing them ( lawyers term) is unacceptable.

I opened the Eatery this morning only to find that the owner in all of her agreement over the Managers behavior has decreased my hours to nothing. She then asks me if I am available to work for her this Saturday. I said "No, i do not think that will work for me!"
I grabbed my bag, let her know that i was not feeling well. I was shaking. I left.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Onwards and upwards Mizz ,

Bestwishes, M
Old 05-02-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Best of luck Mizz, hope you find something else soon. Amazing the place can still be in business.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sending positive thoughts & prayers your way. I'd be so angry as you are. Try to find a way to release that anger though. You are moving on to better things!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Best of luck Mizz, hope you find something else soon. Amazing the place can still be in business.
Amazing that nothing has been done about these people. I am astonished.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
Amazing that nothing has been done about these people. I am astonished.
Unfortunately, with the economy and many laws being changed back heavily in favor of the employers in recent years, much of this happens. Jobs are so scarce that employers can do almost whatever they want, because they know they have a limitless supply of fairly desperate workers out there to choose from.

Kudos do you for standing up for your rights and beliefs, I firmly believe that you will be rewarded down the road for that.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Unfortunately, with the economy and many laws being changed back heavily in favor of the employers in recent years, much of this happens. Jobs are so scarce that employers can do almost whatever they want, because they know they have a limitless supply of fairly desperate workers out there to choose from.

Kudos do you for standing up for your rights and beliefs, I firmly believe that you will be rewarded down the road for that.
I have to admit that I am scared about this. I am not even sure If I will get paid tomorrow. I am doing everything within whatever powers that I have to turn this negative into a positive. Thank you for your support.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You deserve to be treated better than that.

Obviously it's a snake nest. Move on and happy trails.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sending you strength and light Mizzuno!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Im feeling pretty horrible about myself at this moment. I thought that, I hoped that, I was under the impression....
This is not comfortable. Almost 2 months ago, I lost a very lucrative job due to my Alcoholism. I thought that losing that job would be it. I dont need another fire under my belt. The schedule that was written for this upcoming month isolates me away from everyone that works there. I open, and then when others come in I have to leave. WHy? I am not the one running around calling people the F word. I am not the one who is belittling others in front of customers. The owner was in agreement that this Managers behavior was unacceptable. She said that she would take care of it. This is how she has taken care of it? I am not so damn sensitive that i cant handle unruly crap. I am an Alcoholic. I know what rebellion and being out of line is all about. I put all my rebellion away and decided that it had no business in my life anymore. I was behaving myself.
In the last month and a half that i have been there, the Eatery has gone through 4 people. Myself included. When I set about to fill out the Labor Law Violation Form, I have checked off 14 violations from the form. I should not let it get to me. It does though, and I cant help but to feel it.
Jesus can it get any worse. Yes, it can. I pray that this is the end of my bad life for awhile. Demo work is slow to come in. I cant give up. I just feel so broken. We are screwed if I dont get paid tomorrow. We could lose our home. Breathe.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

throw out the arse kikin machine! you are doing the right thing. this is how i see it:
yer lookin for prayers, so ya must believe in God.this could very well be God putting some things in your life that are gonna lead ya to things a LOT better! when one door closes, another opens as long as you have faith.
heres a suggestion for ya, and i highly suggest don it:
go look in the mirror. not at yer hair or the dust bunnies on yer sleeves; look right into your eyes ndand tell yourself you love yourself!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Is that person part of the Department of Labor? They will certainly take your complaints!

Wages, conditions, etc have rules and regulations and each business must follow these according to their state standards.

I wish you well in this endeavor!!!
Old 05-02-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm no lawyer but if you worked the hours you have to be paid. There are jobs to be had. You will find your fit. Just don't drink.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mizzuno, I am really sorry this is happening. It sounds like you've done what you could. You told the manager about the situation, and you talked to a lawyer. I hope that they revise the schedule and give you more hours.

I really believe that everything happens for a reason.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Mizzuno,

First, hugs.

Second, please stay strong.

I appreciate you posting and identify. I have recently in the last few months openly battled a new boss through HR , labor law and peers. I have never in 25 years gone to such lengths to fight back in a workplace. Not even close.

I'm not known as a troubkemaker. But wrong is wrong. And the law is there for a reason. And sometimes people like us who aren't looking for trouble, are forced to take trouble on.

Keep following your values and thank godness we are sober as we proceed.

And remember: "Your magnificence knows no bounds."
Old 05-02-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sally3127 View Post
I'm no lawyer but if you worked the hours you have to be paid. There are jobs to be had. You will find your fit. Just don't drink.
Right. I do have to get paid. This place does not have the money a lot of the time. Checks bounce or there is a "Please dont cash this for a few days" period.
Its all insane.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
throw out the arse kikin machine! you are doing the right thing. this is how i see it:
yer lookin for prayers, so ya must believe in God.this could very well be God putting some things in your life that are gonna lead ya to things a LOT better! when one door closes, another opens as long as you have faith.
heres a suggestion for ya, and i highly suggest don it:
go look in the mirror. not at yer hair or the dust bunnies on yer sleeves; look right into your eyes ndand tell yourself you love yourself!
Ya know? I took your suggestion, and I went into the mirror and I told myself that I love myself. It helped those tears to dry up. I then set about to hang some pictures on the wall. Do you know that i have lived in this place for 10 1/2 months, and I am just starting to decorate my home? This has nothing to do with anything.
I put my husbands great grandfathers paintings up, Landscapes. They are really beautiful.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You are well over qualified for this job and cutting yourself short. Seriously. Your a motivated person and like people. Your doing them favors now its your turn. Don't worry we for your back and we are here for you always. Don't ever let someone treat you like this especially in a work place. I have never heard of a story like this before and I was in the military for 20 years. Heck only person ever yelled at me was my wife and my drill sergeant Lol
Old 05-02-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Richierich777 View Post
You are well over qualified for this job and cutting yourself short. Seriously. Your a motivated person and like people. Your doing them favors now its your turn. Don't worry we for your back and we are here for you always. Don't ever let someone treat you like this especially in a work place. I have never heard of a story like this before and I was in the military for 20 years. Heck only person ever yelled at me was my wife and my drill sergeant Lol
Really? You have never heard of this? Yes, I am overqualified. Yes, I am cutting myself short. Yes.YES! Of course i will find something else. Im still trying with all of my woman power to get this Demo thing up and running. I will succeed at this. I am Good enough, smart enough, and people like me.
Its been a rough one today.
At least, i got the wheels on my little wooden cart painted. Next, drill holes in the container part and plant something in it.
Thanks Rich!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

((Mizz)) - I'm so sorry for what you've had to put up with at work, but I'm glad you are following through with the complaints.

FWIW, I lost a nursing career due to my addiction. I found myself waiting tables and even working at a McDonald's for a while. Overqualified? Well, yeah...I just finished another degree.

I beat myself up, I told myself "this is what you get" but at some point along the way, I realized that even doing work that would be considered "below me", I was GOOD at it. I did my best.

I left the waiting tables job with quite a stink, in MY favor, and they were not happy. Oh well. I left McD's after being told to "shut up" by my manager, yet came back the next day with my letter of resignation. My manager was very unhappy..he KNEW this manager was a problem but his hands were tied by the store manager.

Point is...I found my voice. I found out, basically, the he!! with what I did in the past. I'm doing my best NOW and I don't deserve to be abused. The same goes for you.

Hold your head high, tell yourself "I love you" in the mirror, and rest assured that life is really tough, sometimes, in recovery, but you are putting one foot in front of the other and moving forward.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy