Notices

being bipolar and alcoholic at the same time sucks

Old 02-02-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

being bipolar and alcoholic at the same time sucks

I was diiagnosed in 2009 with bipolar disorder and am on meds. I figured out why I want to drink a lot lately especially today. Not because I am not doing the work in AA its because I am slightly manic now and have been for awhile I need to get meds adjusted again seeing therapist tomorrow and going to see if I can into psychiatrist sometime this week. I cant take this anymore. When I get hypomanic or manic i like to drink. It has nothing to do with working the steps I think right now just chemical imbalance. Oh and I talked to my sponsor today.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know a lot of people with similar issues, myself included! I was diagnosed with bipolar when I first came into recovery, and my doctor was fiddling with my meds while I was trying to get sober. I was a complete mess! There were times I couldn't sit through meetings because I would have panic attacks. I couldn't sit still long enough for a whole meeting, so I brought art supplies with me so I could keep my hands occupied and I could listen. I've since learned that the meds were actually making me worse because I wasn't actually bipolar. I have depression and anxiety, and the alcohol use made it difficult to diagnose properly.

It can be really difficult dealing with mental health issues while getting sober, but a lot of people do it. The bottom line is that drinking only makes it worse. In early sobriety, I had to accept that I was going to be depressed at times, anxious at times, restless at times, and want to drink at times. None of my feelings changed the fact that I can't drink. This acceptance allowed me to say, "Ok, this is what I'm feeling. It's temporary, and I don't have to act on it."

We do the best we can with what we have! You're working the program, working with your sponsor, asking for help, working with your doctor, and you're not drinking! It sounds like you're doing awesome to me!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Untreated alcoholism mimics bipolar activity in a person. Especially when not treated by drinking and not being treated with recovery.

I wish you well
Old 02-03-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I was drinking I never drank when I was depressed but would drink when I was manic and feeling fantastic.
I was told years ago by a psychiatrist that I was manic depressive, I learnt recently that is now described as bipolar. I have never taken medication for this condition and who knows if I really had it.
Sober now for 20 months and my moods have never been this stable in my life.
Hang in there.
caihong
Old 02-03-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know I am bipolar without a doubt in mind I have tried going of meds and it was a disaster. I will never go of meds. I need my meds for life. I bought a book a w.omans way through the 12 steps workbook I am going to be using that book. I just love the book and can relate to it totally. IMO I feel like in AA we should be able to talk about other things that have helped us that are not AA related because while the big book and steps help me there are other things that have helped me too not AA related and I feel like I am not allowed to share that. Now I will get of my soapbox just my opinion.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anoronha View Post
I feel like in AA we should be able to talk about other things that have helped us that are not AA related because while the big book and steps help me there are other things that have helped me too not AA related and I feel like I am not allowed to share that. Now I will get of my soapbox just my opinion.
Of course, you can say whatever you want to say in an AA meeting, but you can't control other people's reactions - they may like or dislike what you have to say. Unfortunately, if you have a diagnosed MH condition this is something you'll have to get used to, good luck with that. Maybe find someone with similar problems and good sobriety and ask them how they deal with it.

As for sharing things that help you...OK. But remember "Our common welfare should come first". Not everyone has bipolar so while talking about this in a meeting might help you, it may not be for everyone. In some UK meetings, we remind everyone to confine their discussion to 'problems related to Alcohol' and ask them 'to refrain from violence or aggression or any other language or form of behaviour that might confuse, offend or frighten others'. For someone still drinking and suffering with Alcoholism, talking about Bi-polar MIGHT be confusing or frightening. Just something to think about.

The great news of Alcoholics Anonymous is that WE have found a common solution that works...for Alcoholism...and we tend to talk about that because it's something we can all relate to. Often it's best to talk about other things before, after or outside the meeting.

I've walked a few different paths in Recovery, I tend to limit my discussion in a meeting to things that might help others, anything else I can save for one-to-one discussion.

Good luck with the journey

P
Old 02-03-2013, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Many areas have Dual Diagnosis AA Meetings available.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's not that you can't have other things in your life that are helpful to you, it's just that we are not medical professionals. Your meds are between you and your doctor. When I go to an AA meeting, I discuss my problems with alcohol and the solution offered in the program of AA. My mental health diagnosis does not give me an excuse to not do the steps. Just like "How it Works" in chapter 5 says, "There are those too who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest." The program has helped me and many other people find happiness in sobriety, even those of us with mental disorders. I still get treatment for my medical issues, but I don't discuss that in AA.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You all misunderstood me. I meant talking about other methods that work for me in recovery that are not AA related. Like for instance if I find a newspaper article or the twenty four hours or a day at a time or the book drop the rock I just think it would be helpful to discuss things that help that are helpful. Other people have told me they feel the same way too.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is a program called smart recovery and it is treatment center and court approved and at their meetings they discuss all methods of recovery. That is just me I feel personally that I find it hard to share because I feel like I am saying th same thing over a d over at meetings so I don't share a whole lot. Please I hope I am not offending anyone. I do really like AA and owe my life to it. It has saved my life and I have made so many wonderful friends.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't see anyone getting offended. I guess I don't understand what your trouble is. I thought you were posting about how to handle mental health diagnoses in conjunction with trying to stay sober. A lot of people have given you a lot of thoughtful responses to this and other posts, but you seem to consistently respond, "Yeah, but . . ."

We go to AA to discuss how we got sober with AA. That doesn't mean you can't do other things or discuss them. But that's not what the meetings are for. Maybe someone else will have something to add to explain it better. You haven't worked the program yet. You can't expect relief yet. Maybe that's why you feel you keep saying the same things over and over again. Growth doesn't happen immediately, but it seems from your posts that you expect it to.

Early sobriety is difficult, but we all got through it and you can too.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

With all due respect you don't know me and what I do to stay sober. Or how much I work at it. Only god and my sponsor and friends know that and my family. I don't think it's fair to judge another's sobriety. Then again these are just my opinions and I am just a weird person and feeling very opinionated today which Is weird I don't usually express any of my opinions.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not judging your sobriety, you told us yourself you were on Step 1. So you haven't worked all the steps yet. I'm trying to be encouraging and let you know that things get better as you move through the program. Or as I was told, "Don't quit before the miracle."

Clearly my heartfelt posts encouraging you, relating my personal experiences, and trying to answer your questions aren't what you wanted to hear. I truly wish you well.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Im really really sorry please accept my apology. I am just being a **** tard today Im not usually like this. So thanks for your feedback. I overreacted. I hope you have a great night.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

bipolar?
you and half the country

of course, the meds can help
but aa can help, too
with other areas of your life
and
the steps are a guide to a new way of life

i've been taking meds for years
but
i make meeting, too
and
meds may help you with your diagnosis
but
aa helps with your alcoholism

fraankie
Old 02-04-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

(((((Anoronha)))))

First let me say I do understand, oh how I understand!

You see I spent my first 9 years in recovery with UNDIAGNOSED Bi Polar. Yep, 9 years. By the time my 9th birthday rolled around, I was asking at different meetings if anyone had the name of a Psych Dr that works with sober alkies. You see, I was at the point that I KNEW I was INSANE, not just crazy but INSANE. I KNEW I was going to end up locked up in an asylum in a straight jacket, that is how bad it was, and they were never going to let me out. I was cycling so rapidly it was making my head spin. It is a terrible place to be especially when I no longer could use my old 'standby' to keep me sane. I would not wish that on my worst enemy!!!!

I suspect that HP was in there guiding somehow, because I received the name of a Psych Dr, same name from several different folks in different meetings, that it turns out literally SAVED MY LIFE. Now it did take another 3 years or so to finally find a combination of meds that worked, but they did and do work.

I also realized something in talking with her in our 'sessions' and with others that were sober and Bi Polar, that those of us with Bi Polar 'process' information differently and our 'thinking process' are different. Yes we can come to the same conclusion as other non Bi Polars do, but somehow we do it in a different way that seems logical to us but not to others, rofl Yep I can laugh at my self today.

You may go through several 'medication changes' in the coming years, won't change the fact that you're an alcoholic in recovery.

The best way I found to share other 'things, writings, etc' that helped me, was to again do my steps, after I was diagnosed, and then share what 'worked' for me with those that I sponsored. And believe it or not, I seem to draw to me, gals that also had 'mental issues'. I always share how the steps helped me and other things as well, what I had to do for me. However, in meetings, I share about what in AA has helped me over the years. Then at the 'meetings after the meetings' (ie going for coffee, lol) I can get into other books, science reports, whatever that I have found 'helpful'.

Continue to do your steps, using whatever 'help' packets work for you and sharing your step work with your sponsor! Hang in there, you too will become sponsor material and be able to share what has and is 'working for you' to stay sober. Also as time goes on you will find others, sober in AA with dual diagnosis maybe even a meeting here or there.

All I can tell you, is HANG IN THERE, is does get better with each step you work!!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 02-04-2013, 03:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
(((((Anoronha)))))
Hang in there, you too will become sponsor material and be able to share what has and is 'working for you' to stay sober. Also as time goes on you will find others, sober in AA with dual diagnosis maybe even a meeting here or there.

All I can tell you, is HANG IN THERE, is does get better with each step you work!!!!!
Well said.

Hang in there Anoronha. Everywhere you've been and everything you're going through will become your greatest assets. Walk the walk and you can pass it on, something to give our lives real meaning and purpose.

Best not to look for shortcuts though, whatever other help we get and need, best to work our common solution so we can share it with others. Plus, we know it works!

Good luck

P
Old 02-04-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

Originally Posted by Anoronha View Post
You all misunderstood me. I meant talking about other methods that work for me in recovery that are not AA related. Like for instance if I find a newspaper article or the twenty four hours or a day at a time or the book drop the rock I just think it would be helpful to discuss things that help that are helpful. Other people have told me they feel the same way too.
This is what we discuss before or after meetings or in social gatherings at someone's house or even after a meeting when we go out for coffee, breakfast, or pizza.

I discuss these also with a network of people I call regularly and keep in contact with and with my sponsor. They aren't discussed in a meeting as that diverts us from our primary purpose and goes against our Traditions.

Those Traditions keep AA alive. 12 steps, 12 traditions, 12 concepts. And one rule; number 62.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
And one rule; number 62
How dare you bring up rule 62?? It's not even official AA lit! I'm off to complain to the mods... :

Old 02-05-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You are not alone. I am dual diagnosed also.

Check out this article:

Being a Bipolar Addict | The Fix