Old 02-03-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
paulokes

Originally Posted by Anoronha View Post
I feel like in AA we should be able to talk about other things that have helped us that are not AA related because while the big book and steps help me there are other things that have helped me too not AA related and I feel like I am not allowed to share that. Now I will get of my soapbox just my opinion.
Of course, you can say whatever you want to say in an AA meeting, but you can't control other people's reactions - they may like or dislike what you have to say. Unfortunately, if you have a diagnosed MH condition this is something you'll have to get used to, good luck with that. Maybe find someone with similar problems and good sobriety and ask them how they deal with it.

As for sharing things that help you...OK. But remember "Our common welfare should come first". Not everyone has bipolar so while talking about this in a meeting might help you, it may not be for everyone. In some UK meetings, we remind everyone to confine their discussion to 'problems related to Alcohol' and ask them 'to refrain from violence or aggression or any other language or form of behaviour that might confuse, offend or frighten others'. For someone still drinking and suffering with Alcoholism, talking about Bi-polar MIGHT be confusing or frightening. Just something to think about.

The great news of Alcoholics Anonymous is that WE have found a common solution that works...for Alcoholism...and we tend to talk about that because it's something we can all relate to. Often it's best to talk about other things before, after or outside the meeting.

I've walked a few different paths in Recovery, I tend to limit my discussion in a meeting to things that might help others, anything else I can save for one-to-one discussion.

Good luck with the journey

P