http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...pt-5-a-21.html

D
Old 06-25-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun!!!

What do I win?
Old 06-25-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You win... a warm and fuzzy feeling. And we could all use one of those.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Emily, have you heard of Campral? That is supposed to help with cravings. I wonder why she wouldn't be willing to prescribe that.

Ginger, I'm sorry to hear that you have been struggling with some blues. What do you to do take care of that?

Luling, so how far and how often do you have to run to train for this marathon? My husband and I did a little trail running this weekend and it was a lot of fun. Granted one of us had the baby on our back and the other one had a diaper bag so we felt like pack mules, haha. If I didn't have such bad joints I think I would really get into it.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

GB wrote: “Hey Saskia, great decision! Let us know how we can help you!”

Thanks, GB! You’re all doing it by being great role models and being supportive when needed.

Dee: Thanks for your welcome back, too 

Luling: “Welcome back Saskia! You sound like you're totally ready to do this. Way to go!...
AFM, we're planning our family's vacation over here. It's not until August, so maybe if I don't slip between now and then, I'll be ready? Right? “

Thanks, Luling! I think you will be ready  And training for that half marathon sounds like a wonderful goal.

ThursdayNight: “I think Deserto recommended reading "Rational Recovery" so I ordered a used one from Amazon. WOW, this book is really an eye opener. I feel much more empowered about continuing my sobriety, and I'm only a third of the way through it. I was going to continue reading it tonight, but I was concerned you guys would think my silence this weekend meant I fell off the wagon.”

I just finished two other books Deserto recommended (“The Tao of Sobriety” and Alan Carr’s “No More Hangovers”) and tonight am starting “Rational Recovery”. Love your posts!

FP: “I've discovered that sobriety has provided me the freedom to plumb the depths of my latent immaturity.”

Oh my, FP – you are getting deep now! Hmmmm, now, perhaps we need “Ode on the depths”

Emily: Hugs to you, my dear for your caring, sharing and insight. I’m so much enjoying getting to know you better now that your posts are longer and I can read more about what you’re thinking.

Deserto: Thanks, buddy! I’m picturing the beast as all kinds of nasty yet inadequate paper tigers. It definitely helps. Both books I’ve read that you so kindly suggested have helped me a great deal. Now, I do want that armrest on the bus ;-) I’ll wrestle you for it!

OneLessLonely: So sorry you get so down on yourself. You are amazing and are doing so darned well! Love the arm-wrestling image, too – and the idea that when battling the Beast, there are no rules!

IW2
: you are another inspiration!

ER: I appreciate the way you handle slips. You don’t go into a lengthy apologia and that one short phrase “oops. Day 1” lets us know where you are. You will get there, of that I am sure. Just keep on posting. Whatever happened, I believe you will resolve it.

Crew: you always seem to be here when you’re needed!

Payton: you are one of our very valued band of sober brothers and sisters 

HRB: You’ve helped me since the beginning and I’m so grateful!

Pink62: I always appreciate your posts and see you sometimes “lurking” via the “thanks”.

Tanja: You’re very thoughtful and supportive!

SoberJaneDoe, 2Magnolias, FindingSoleil, Reviving Ophelia, KittyCat, Jeni, Leezmer: thanks to all!

I’m sure there are others of you but this boat is so packed with great folks that my poor brain can’t keep track of all of you!

AFM: I’m over 24 hours sober now and doing well so far. I just got lab results back on my liver tests and the news is good! That feels like an anchor gone – I was really bummed at the idea that my drinking might have finished the job and that it was too late. So I feel like the condemned woman who has just been given another chance.

Have a wonderful evening, sober-mates!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Payton, it wasn't that she was unwilling. She was just a counsellor. She wasn't qualified to prescribe anything. It turns out that I needed to be referred to the medical part of the alcohol services, not the counselling part.
I didn't know there was more than one part.
[And no, I hadn't heard of Campral. I will look it up and maybe tomorrow, try and get a proper appointment]

Edit: I looked it up. It is available on the NHS, but you need a full medical before they'll give it you.
And that's got me cross as hell. Not the fact that you need one, but that when I went to the doctor and she insisted on knowing how much I'd been drinking and how long it had been since I quit. I wasn't sent for so much as a ****ing blood test. Nor the next time I went. Nor did the (very nice) counsellor want to send me for one.
They want to put in my notes that I have an 'alcohol dependency' but do **** all about it. What do I have to do to get this medical? Turn up pissed in casualty?
Old 06-25-2012, 03:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cool Em, I'll take the warm fuzzies.

Payton, I typically run 5 days a week, gradually building up my weekly mileage until a couple of weeks before the event. The number of miles I would run during the week varied with the training plan I was following, but every weekend I'd do a long run. I tried to get in at least 1 to 3 20-milers before tapering before running a full marathon. With the half marathon, which is what I'm signed up for right now, I'm only going to build up to 13 mile long runs. I don't have to worry about over-training as much, so I'll just do those every weekend once I build up to it.

Right now I'm just running short distances, 3 - 4 miles, sometimes with walk breaks if I'm lazy, too hot, or see an interesting bird that distracts me. I'm out there every day though, sometimes twice a day, because I'm using running as a replacement for drinking. I think my next move has to be cutting back to five runs a week so I can start to build up my long run mileage. You know, quality over quantity. I have a long time to plan though, and I might just join a running club and let them boss me around for a while so I don't have to think about it.

Sorry -- you ask a simple question, and I give you a novel. By the way, trail running is sooooo much fun. Trail runners are a different species of runner than your typical road racers. And they give you candy at the aid stations during their races, instead of just water and Gatorade.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! Im just checking in real quick to say hi to everyone. I don't want to say more until I've had a chance to read most of the preceding posts so I can see what's going on with everyone. After that I will have a more, let's shall we say, "robust" posting. Hope everyone is doing well. Miss y'all.

Harpo
Old 06-25-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great News Saskia I had a feeling that you would be fine! You are one kind, sweet supportive woman. Thank you for taking the time to address each and every one of us. I am off in few minutes to another AA meeting. I hope everyone has a good evening.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, Tanja!

Sorry to say Harpo is one of those I missed! Good to see you post again, Harpo :-)
Old 06-25-2012, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Harpo! Great to see you check in. Looking forward to hearing more.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey classmates!
Just checking in to say hello. I have had a very busy few days at work. Last night 12.5 hours of craziness with 5 minute to get food and 5 to scarf it down without even chewing. I was in such a bad mood when I woke up today. I paced around the house like a caged lion for 30 minutes. Blew off steam talking to my partner about it. Then we went for a walk and I ate. Guacamole burger with fries... Immediate mood stabilizer! (Luling I need to start running too because I LOVE to eat).

Anyway, I've been trying to conncect with my family and old friends on Facebook. I just joined. It's kind of pathetic how alcohol takes everything we hold dear away from us. It makes us into a social recluse and makes us believe it is our only friend. What a crock of ....

It is such a blessing to get back in touch with the people we love. I have been laughing about old storys, looking at old photos, catching up and I feel so great tonight.

I have not had a chance to read through all the posts yet but I just wated to give a big shout out to everyone. I love you guys! And no that's not a sloppy drunk "I love you guys". It is sober and heartfelt!
Old 06-25-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Holy tamoli -- another re-thread? Woohoo, class of May.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I call back-right seat!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Perhaps this is a good time to reach out to Flicked? I ran through the posts at a rapid rate, so I may have missed something, but the last I heard Flicked hit a bump and also recently moved.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crewisms View Post
Perhaps this is a good time to reach out to Flicked? I ran through the posts at a rapid rate, so I may have missed something, but the last I heard Flicked hit a bump and also recently moved.
I sure hope Flicked is ok. Moving I always find to be very stressful so hope that being too busy is why we haven't heard anything recently!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Saskia. You are a beautiful soul!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post

AFM: I’m over 24 hours sober now and doing well so far. I just got lab results back on my liver tests and the news is good! That feels like an anchor gone – I was really bummed at the idea that my drinking might have finished the job and that it was too late. So I feel like the condemned woman who has just been given another chance.

Have a wonderful evening, sober-mates!
Yay!!!! I'm so happy and relieved to know that your liver test is okay. (((((hugs))))) That is just fantastic. :ghug3
Old 06-25-2012, 07:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Luling. You inspire me. I've worked hard to work out, then have slacked like the worst pair of slacks. I will run another event, be it a half marathon or a mini-triathlon or a bike race. Something to set a goal, eh.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'll send her a PM!