Notices

How do you write inventory?

Old 10-24-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you write inventory?

?
Old 10-24-2011, 06:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My sponsor had me list my resentments, shame, guilt, and fear. From there I did it just like the BB does. For each one I listed specifically what it was, the cause, and how it effected me. For me, what I found was that most of them effected my self esteem and/or security, all of which stem from fear.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The only way to do it wrong is to not do it at all. Like MarylandRick said, list all the negative stuff (according to the BB, the reasons why we drank). Many of us tend to overlook our "assets" --- the BB suggests a balanced inventory, although I personally had a tough time identifying much that I liked about myself when I first got into recovery.

I had to focus on the guilt and shame, because they were ultimately the source of my denial, and on old resentments and hurts because I drank to fill the hole they left behind.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wrote my story out to clear my confusion about what had happened and to see my patterns, then made 4 lists...resentment, fears, relationships and faults (defects).

The writing just took a few days, the drama my head donated stretched the process out to 4 months.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Came to Believe

Thanks Bryan and Maryland Rick (and omegasupreme for asking the question in the first place). I'm working on my fourth step now with my sponsor and I'm having a hard time with it (I'm a lot more angry and afraid than I thought).
Old 10-24-2011, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My original 4th Step was written exactly as the BB directs. A three column resentment inventory per Bill W.'s example, then answering the pg 67 questions in paragraph form. In inventories since then, I like that expanded 3rd column I've mentioned here a few times, where every one of the 3rd column 'affects my' topics get addressed from a position of delusion (high self-esteem). Fear gets in a list, with a funneling down process of 'we asked ourselves why we had this fear' to identify some root fears that drive me (and fuel my resentments and determine my actions. Sex inventory is from the book, answering the 8-9 questions, and forming a sex ideal from the 'what could I have done differently' direction.

My daily 10th Steps inventories are straight from the 9 questions on pg 86. I've found a lot of benefit from formally writing these down, although I'm not always disciplined about it. I never write more than a page. If something keeps nagging at me, I'll write a formal 4th Step style inventory on it, then carry it through Steps 5-9.

Originally Posted by BryanS View Post
--- the BB suggests a balanced inventory
The BB suggests nothing about a 'balanced' inventory or any inclusion of my assets.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
The BB suggests nothing about a 'balanced' inventory or any inclusion of my assets.
Oh sheesh, I need to do my homework before I post. That's out of the 12X12.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh sheesh, I need to do my homework before I post. That's out of the 12X12.
I don't believe the 12 and 12 mentions it either.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
I don't believe the 12 and 12 mentions it either.
Page 46
Old 10-24-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I do it a lot of ways.......but, of course, there's the "Big Book" method that I follow when I'm doing what I call a "formal" 4th step. (Now, I use Joe Hawk's "Big Book Awakening" to do 4th steps......especially his 3rd and 4th column guidelines). I've found that my 3rd column is very......um......enlightening now where it used to be somewhat academic.

IN ADDITION to the way the BB asks us to do it, I also do some daily journaling (been slacking on this one lately) which is inventory in another format.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Page 46
The purpose of inventory (one of the main ones anyway) is to search and be rid of the things that are blocking us from God. While it's possible our good qualities are blocking us, simply including them on inventory so I can feel better about myself doesn't sound like a good use of my time - WHEN I'M DOING A FORMAL 4TH STEP.

Funny enough, I've found a lot of my "attributes" really weren't necessarily "good things" - not the way I used them anyway. So, in that sense, listing what I thought was good about me opened my eyes to more defects and exact natures of defects......so I didn't get to keep that 'feels good' feeling so long but I did get to see that there was more going on with me than just the defects I was aware of from the get-go.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all... I still haven't done a 4th step and I'm at 8+ months. Like others, my sponsor said there is no wrong way other than not doing it. I'm going to start by doing resentments. I need to do something to get going and overcome my fear.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I used the big book and followed directions when I did the 4th
should I need step 10,I go back to the 4th format
on step 11,I just follow directions in the big book,simple
Old 10-25-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The same as many of the others. I did it the way it is laid out in the book. I only did a full inventory on resentments to start with. Three columns - person/place/institution toward whom I am resentful, why, what it affects. Then covered those up and wrote down my mistakes.

On a daily basis, I sometimes will write my debits and credits as the 12 and 12 suggests. If I am upset about something, I do the same inventory I did for my 4th. It is amazing how IT WORKS! Good luck.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Basically the way it is outlined in the BB.

I list out the resentments against people, principles or institutions, and in column two, why i was upset with each. Then in the third and fourth columns i follow the questions in the book, what had been affected, and where had i been selfish, dishonest, self-seeking or afraid. My sponsor had me write short sentences or phrases for the third and fourth columns.

Writing out the sentences really helped me focus in on my part, which then helped to illuminate character defects as well.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

we have forms here in atlanta that makes it easier.i could send u one as an attachment if youd like.dont focus so hard on what it is yet.just get it on paper then in the 5th youll study or find the causes .just do as the bb says where did it effect me
my ego/selfesteem my financial security these forms were very helpful as i just needed to get it down on paper dont do to much overthinking right now just try to be thourogh and BRUTALLY HONEST ! was the toughy and moral **** MORAL TOO hahahah youll do just fine just getter donee its not rocket science to much thinking //humm i read some where i have a thinking problem so i was told to stop thinking and do it .
Old 10-30-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Omegasupreme, I feel the only way to do a wrong inventory is to not do it at all. My preference at this stage of the game is to focus on the big two, resentments on page 65 and fears on page 68 of the BB. If sex has caused harm or is a problem, then that should also be included on page 69 of the BB.

BB 1st ed.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

There are many ways to do an inventory. There is the original way to do a 4th step as written in the big book with directions from a sponsor. Mine took 3 hours on a Saturday followed by a 5th step on Sunday, which took almost 6 hours (discussion with sponsor).

This was not rushed, yet it was honest & thorough. Nothing less than what the first 40-100 did. I have had no craving since I worked these (& the other) steps. It helps when the sponsor has done them more than once & who knows the text and the history of AA, in my opinion. Why change something that has worked for many decades?

Best wishes!

Don't hesitate between steps 4-9, stopping has not benefitted many. Get out of self ceenteredness and be present in the moment!