Notices

...constitutionally incapable...

Old 11-18-2009, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

...constitutionally incapable...

When reading "How it works' I've often thought of myself as this type of person, one who is constitutionally incapable of being honest with myself.

It's not true, I am capable of being honest with myself, i just don't want to be. There's a difference. It helps to look at myself as honestly as I can, and admit that my way of managing my life has been disastrous. That's a good place to start.

constitutionally.......sure is a big word, lol. Better break out the dictionary.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you think you are constitutionally incapable of being honest, you are probably just blowing smoke up your own ass.

Think about it-just the fact that you can't admit that you can't be honest is being honest.

Unless you are looking for a loophole to wriggle out of.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

I had moments when I wondered if this was me. I never believed it but if I was how would I know. Then I saw a guy who was incapable of being honest with himself in a treatment center. Everyone could see it but him and he would get really angry and spin out of control when anyone tried help him see the truth.

There are such unfortunates.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I was so sick when I came back to the Fellowship,
I had to get out the dictionary and look the dang thing up
to make sure I understood the meanings
I was THAT AFRAID of what I was going to uncover
I lied to myself ... alla time.

It really helped me to do that.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't worry about the "constitutionally incapable of being honest" line unless you think you're really a psychopath or a sociopath or something.

In any case, that would put you under the category of a "cannot".

Statistically, most that cannot get and stay sober are "will-nots". So... I'd focus on being a "will-do" and just get on with it like Jim says.

Good night kiddies.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post
admit that my way of managing my life has been disastrous. That's a good place to start.

constitutionally.......sure is a big word, lol. Better break out the dictionary.
It's a good place to start for good reason. It's step #1!!!

Leave the dictionary where it is. You'll only confuse the issue. Stick with how managing your life is/was disastrous and you'll do just fine.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by Music View Post
It's a good place to start for good reason. It's step #1!!!

Leave the dictionary where it is. You'll only confuse the issue. Stick with how managing your life is/was disastrous and you'll do just fine.
That wasn't my experience, my experience was a dictionary was helpful because not only did I not know the actual definitions of many words, I was wrong about many others, it was humbling and enlightening at the same time.

It was hard for me to know everything and be wrong about the definition of almost every word I looked up, it also helped me understand what it was I was doing in a clear manner
Old 10-22-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What doe's constitutionally incapable mean in laymans terms?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Definition of CONSTITUTIONALLY
a : in accordance with one's constitution <constitutionally unable to grasp subtleties> b : in structure, composition, or constitution <despite repeated heatings the material remained constitutionally the same>
: in accordance with a political constitution <was not constitutionally eligible to fill the office>
Examples of CONSTITUTIONALLY

<I'm afraid that I'm constitutionally incapable of carrying a tune.>

First Known Use of CONSTITUTIONALLY
Related to CONSTITUTIONALLY
Synonyms: congenitally, naturally,
Old 10-23-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

If you can't accept this, maybe you haven't drunk enough? Not enough consequences, yet? Try not drinking for 90 days. Then see how you feel-emotionally...

AA has a big book dictionary.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Constitutionally means not in my makeup, not in my nature.
I am constitutionally incapable of growing a beard because I am a female and I don't produce enough testosterone to grow facial hair.

Hope that's a good example. I really don't grow facial hair!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It is an old thread ... Some good replies... I saw Dallas had posted and was happy to hear from him... Hope he is well and doing OK
Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That paragraph is talking about two groups of people: "cannots" and "will nots."
Old 10-30-2011, 09:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

a sponsee and myself was studying chapter 5,step 3 this morning,this thread came to mind
seems like there are several "classifications" here which may or may not,shed light on the subject "constitutionally incapable"

RARELY HAVE we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average. There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

first,we came to the conclusion they ( constitutionally incapable ) are rare cases, "rarely have we seen a person fail"

futher down on we read

There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

I can have a grave emotional or/and mental disorder,but I can still get sober if I can just get honest with myself about my drinking

they separate out the emotional and mental disorders from the constitutionally incapable

at this point,the words of my second sponsor who died 5 or 6 yrs ago rang in my ears this morning.I asked him what he thought it meant one day.
he calmly answered
stubborn,hard headed
over the yrs a few other options came to light,but I do not know for sure if they are true.
brain damage of some kind,or a unknown factor

but whatever it is,some can get sober,if they only try,their chances are less than the average alcoholic.But the main thing is they have a chance at sobriety,which to me spells out hope.I am not to fault them,but spread all the hope I can

we had a great meeting,and a good way to start off a Sunday
Old 10-30-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I like the way my sponsor's husband used to explain it when he shared:

"The Smart Azz and the Wet Brain, so if you are sitting on the curb and wondering which one you are .............................. Wet Brains can't think."

No, he didn't pull any 'punches', lol he called 'a spade a spade' and called me on a lot of my 'chit' those first years. I still thank HP that Bev and Hugh were put in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first time I heard him share that ................... I was maybe 2 to 3 weeks into recovery ........................ I knew I was in trouble, and if I wanted to fight for my sobriety, I better give up my 'smart azz ways' pretty damn quick.

I'm still here and I'm still sober, so ........................... something sure worked those many years ago and STUCK with me.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 10-30-2011, 03:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

"The Smart Azz and the Wet Brain, so if you are sitting on the curb and wondering which one you are .............................. Wet Brains can't think."

thats pretty good Laurie