Notices

8th August is my day to become me

Old 08-06-2011, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8th August is my day to become me

I have decided to stop binge drinking. I have drunk for the past 5 years every weekend and now for last 6 months I drunk every day due to break up with my ex.
I purchased an interesting book "Don't let the Bastards Grind you down by Georgia W. I chose this one as it is concentrating very much on the first 30 days.
I researched about supplements and bought Rhodiola Rosea. No doctor involved. As Im trying not to expose my addiction. I tried this herbal pill couple times and it worked. May be a little too strong. So I will break the pill and have smaller doses.
The only things Im concerned are what activities should I do and what should I do to stay strong?
Old 08-06-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. Starting the 8th on Monday. I hope the best for you, recovery is a wonderful gift to give yourself. I understand the desire for privacy but I think we should be open and honest with our physicians. Heavy alcohol consumption is a serious medical issue and it can impact prevention, diagnosis and treatment options. I think a lot of activities are up to what you enjoy doing that don't involve booze. Trying out AA and/or other support is a good bet as is reading and posting on AA. I believe a healthy diet and regular exercise is a valuable adjunct. In any case the best to you with your sobriety.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

MycoolFitz

I can't go in public. Some of my friends work in industry like AA. So I have to stay hidden.
Shall I write a diary or not. Im just scared of the moment when my mind goes in shock.
None of my friends know about my addiction. My brother thinks I drink too much, but he does not know that I drink way to much. I could follow the instructions how to stay sober if I had any.
Like step one: do not buy any alcohol, get a bicycle, cycle 1 hour, make a tea, eat fruit. Not sure what to do.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you for recognizing the issue and trying to make a plan to quit. I truly wish the best.

I worry that you want to "hide" your recovery the way you have hidden your drinking. That is a difficult way to get and stay sober. Most of us cannot do it on our own, we need help and support.

I hope that someday you will be strong enough in recovery to not feel the need to hide, and you will be healthy and whole.

As for instructions on on how to be sober, well, the ones i follow come through the program of AA. Outside of that, i didn't find any.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Monday the 8th is also my quit day healthyfood...I have been tapering down since thursday as advised by my doctor,tomorow will be my last day drinking and im only allowed to have 4 beers.....Lets do this together healthy....come on lets do it....
Old 08-06-2011, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I understand, I was a professional in the business. I was just suggesting being straight with your MD.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Why are you waiting until the 8th? (that's a rhetorical question actually.. I'll go ahead and assume that's to give you more time to drink?) I 'set dates' to quit for years.

Just know, withdrawal can be very dangerous.. fatal even.

Good luck. It's always best to see a medical professional, but that's of course your choice. There's a section on here about 'how we quit, what we did' that you might be interested in reading. Personally, I attended counseling (1 on 1) a few times a week for several months, as I obviously wasn't the best addictions counselor for myself.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

stevie88

Finally I found someone who wants to do the same as me. Lets do it together.
Im so happy you chose the same day as me.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I do hope you understand that quitting alcohol and detoxing can be very dangerous. It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before you stop drinking.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Anna

I can not see any doctor. Some of my friends work there. I am worried about my mind going in shock, but what can I do. Not sure now what to do.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Scared

You should read my thread, everything you said sounds like me. I am on my 6th day of sobriety, withdrawl was hell. Only today, day 6, do I feel halfway human again. My mattress is soaked with sweat, had the shakes, couldn't eat, lost my equilibrium, could not shave, shower (afraid I would fall), you name it....I felt it. I wish you luck, and even though last week was the worst of my life, I am so glad I got past it.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are not sure what to do?

There have been several suggestions, all of which have been dismissed because your friends are, seemingly, everywhere.

AA is anonymous... Maybe not perfectly so, but if you see someone at an AA meeting they are there for the same reason. Physician's take an oath of privacy and their staff is expected, and required, by federal law, to honor your privacy.

Find a way to get some face to face help.

I wonder, are you afraid of being accountable? I know I was.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

basias

It is scary. 6 day of being sober. Im scared of just one.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi HealthyFood

When I recommend people see a Dr its not just something I say. I suffered several mini strokes in my last home detox. I wouldn't wish that on anyone - and I fully realise now it could have been worse.

I understand you want noone to know - it's a common feeling...but be careful you're not doing yourself a disservice.

I'd look again at your priorities - nothing is more important than your health.

If you start putting conditions on your recovery now, you're making a hard road that much harder.

D
Old 08-06-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Lies kept me dying.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Your friends wouldn't support you seeing a Dr?
Old 08-07-2011, 01:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

None of friends know that Im binge drinking. I don't think that stopping wine intake would harm my health. If I feel sick or something I will be prepared as the body is not used to wine free day. Long walks, I will sit at the beach every night if necessary.
I can not wait to say wow I am sober for 56 days. I want to see my parents more ofter and have beer and wine free party.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Wine, beer, Vodka....makes no difference. Alcohol is alcohol once it enters your system. Please see a doctor--you don't want to find out when you are alone that you were wrong-- It affects everyone differently. Is your life worth the risk that you "might be just fine"?
Old 08-07-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

People in AA understand. Binge drinking does have effects on people. You really think they don't know about your drinking, you'll be surprised what they already know. This deception bothers me. Many professionals have their own problems. I see them at meetings. Drugs of choice for them - cocaine, pills, alcohol...save your 'butt' not your face. The only one who doesn't seem to understand is you.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

August 8th is a perfect day. It was for me! Tomorrow i celebrate 1 year without a drink! A year from tomorrow i will look for your post saying the same! You can do it trust me at one year i have never been so glad to be sober and don't have any desire for that life i left behind!