Notices

8th August is my day to become me

Old 08-07-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

craze283

I like this day as well. Tell me honestly that you haven''t had a single drink 365 days?
How was it in the beginning? How long did it take you to say ok I think Im enjoying my life?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Healthy its gonna be hard,but i'll be there with you...I quit last week for 2 days and it was terrible,no sleep,feeling sick and stomach pains....Like i have said before i have been tapering down since thursday and i should only have 4 beers today.....Lets see...Either way its cold turkey time tomorow...We can do this healthy,lets think positive....
Old 08-07-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

healthyfood, for a long time I was embarrassed for people to find out that I had a drinking problem. I was determined to do it alone. This only resulted in me continuing to drink. I realized that my family and myself were the priority and that it really didn't matter what anyone else thought. (Incidentally, when people did find out, they were nothing but supportive!) I hope you put your health first. I know you don't want people to find out about your drinking, but is it worth your life?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yes honestly it has been one year without even a single drink. It was hard, my in my situation i had to use a detox for 6 days this time to do it though because my health had gotten pretty bad and the dependency was much greater than past times i quit. It did take a while to really "enjoy" life, but honestly that is more due to the damage i did to my life and my health, as for the living and enjoying life without the alcohol that part is very easy.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Craze 283

In you case how long did it take you to actually wake up in the morning and feel happy for real. When I get up I think of wine first. But tomorrow is my day. Im excited and worried.
Im also very concerned about my first weekend.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yoga helped me

I needed a strong physical workout to help me stay sober. Bikram yoga, the hot yoga, really helped me. Such a blessing that I have included Bikram classes in my life now.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

JulyBabe

I used to go to the gym, but its boring. I think I need to get a bicycle. Cycle long hours.
Cycle to the beach and then back. Yoga is superb, people who do yoga physically can not drink, they feel sick. Yoga says that alcohol stops good things coming into our lives.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I guess for me i started waking up happy after i got home from 6 days of detox. Had a lot of time to think about life and talk to others in the same shape. I woke up happy realizing that i could get up and begin my day without "needing" a drink let alone "wanting" one. No one is going to lie and say its a magic wand that the next day everything is fixed. In the past i will say my physical and mental recovery when i had quit was far easier but i was much further along in my drinking addiction this time. Everyones situation is different but in my case (at least this time around) waking up realizing that i had another chance at life was a happy day. After being in the condition i was in everything seemed better than that. That is why this time it is permanent for me. Trust me i have gone through like most people the quitting then saying i can control it and drink casually thing....i know i was just kidding myself and each time got worse....this time it nearly killed me...its just not worth that....Was time to just grab ahold and face this world sober rather than hiding behind the bottle (can in my case) lol..you can do it and have tons of support here and in the end it will be the best decision you have made.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

my day too!

Hey! I was going to start a new thread and saw your post. Awesome. I thought I was ready to quit several days ago - didn't. I gave myself a week to get mentally prepared to quit. Today is my last day. I am torn between being terrified of tomorrow and SO looking forward to it at the same time. Please keep me updated on how it is going with you. It is good to know someone else has decided to get their life back at the same time.

A little about me: Am 56 and have been drinking heavily for 40 years - it seems to be like losing a longtime friend. A friend who has been destroying my life.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Craze283

Thank you for sharing. You must be happy now as you are free not like me yet.
If I will get through next weekend I will be extremely happy.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

makemyday

Have you done you preparation for tomorrow? I bought a book to keep me focused. Book is more about first 30 days of being and staying sober. Today I bought my last bottle of wine and Im very happy that I do not have to touch those shelves full of alco. What motives me is alcohol fog lifts up within 90 days. So I really want to experience this higher feeling of happiness.
Also I quit because as of my last holiday I was struggling in front of my parents. They noticed my alco consumption and I was very upset.
If I can do it, you can too!
Old 08-07-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

WE can do it

Yes - I have done some mental preparation. Reprogramming my mind. Knowing that I have control over my muscles. My hand is the only thing that is going to bring that drink to my mouth. I have control over my hand. I have been in a drunken haze sooo long. It is time to take my life back. Yeah - we CAN do it. You are a precious life and deserve the best. Please keep in touch. Tomorrow is the first day.....
Old 08-07-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

makemyday

I sent you a private message... Tomorrow is coming aaaa......let's get ready.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:08 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

best of luck to all you guys

D
Old 08-07-2011, 07:35 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I wish you the best of luck tomorrow.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:48 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

So...what is that herbal pill s'posed to do?
I don't think there is any one pill or cure that will make you stop drinking. The only thing that will help you stop drinking is the desire and will to quit. Your heart and your mind have to be on the same page. In sync.
For myself, any quit date didn't work. I'd feel better about myself and before long start drinking because I thought I could handle it -then soon lose the control and wind up back where I was. It wasn't until I reached out for help that I successfully quit for good...and that was after a 30 year battle with booze.
I eventually lost my job...I went to a 6 week rehab program and counseling then continued in AA and am still going every week. I just got my 6 month chip.
The bottom line is that you will want to stop drinking more than you will want a drink. You will need to reach out for help...it is really hard doing it all alone. You need support, others that know how you feel. Others that can help you, direct you and be there for you.
Wishing you success...and the peace and strength necessary to get the help you need.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by makemyday View Post
Yes - I have done some mental preparation. Reprogramming my mind. Knowing that I have control over my muscles. My hand is the only thing that is going to bring that drink to my mouth. I have control over my hand. I have been in a drunken haze sooo long. It is time to take my life back. Yeah - we CAN do it. You are a precious life and deserve the best. Please keep in touch. Tomorrow is the first day.....
I found that my mind usually won the fight. It's the alcoholic mind that whispers in your ear to drink. Once you give your soul to the devil again...your hands just follow through the motions.

I wish you all the best of luck tomorrow on your quit date. Be strong...free your mind of stinking thinking...read the 12 steps...go to an AA meeting. Pray to your higher Power.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:43 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say thinking about you on your day one. Hope today is full of clarity and joy and excitement for the journey ahead of you. Sobriety, done right, can be an awesome ride!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hows it going so far healthyfood,you know that its my day 1 as well,so far so good as i have not drank today at its already 6.00pm,on a normal day i would of drank about 8 beers by now.....Remember you can always message me....
Old 08-08-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

EmeraldRose

That herbal pill make you feel calm and a little happy, not anxious and nervous.