Notices

8th August is my day to become me

Old 08-08-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Stevie88

I haven't had any drink yet. Im so happy that I did not need to stop the get the booze from Tesco.
I will take 1 day at the time!!! How are you feeling?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Keep it up Healthyfood, and Stevie88, oh and everyone else!!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

By the way, I too picked a date, months in advance and stuck to it!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

wheresthefun

What was your date?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

GettingStronger2

Thank you for nice words. Im ok at the moment. Need a plan what to do tonight. May be go for a walk and do some reading?
Old 08-08-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

7/25/11, and all is still well.

Did the same thing to quit cigarettes way back in 1987, picked my day & time months in advance. That was a 100% success, planning the same thing for sobriety.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:08 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

wheresthefun

So you are actually sober since 25/07/11? Wow how does it feels?
Old 08-08-2011, 12:22 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

How does it feel? Out-GD-standing!

Seriously, I was a complete mess. The 25th was brutal, went to work (would have drank if I stayed home), stayed hydrated, ate plenty of fresh fruit, popped vitamins and potassium. The next day was way better, and by the third day I felt great. A tickle manicy at times, but I've been having pep talks with myself constantly, gotta watch getting too naturally high... I'm in this for the long haul, and a couple of weeks is just scratching the surface, that I know.

But, I will say, after almost three decades of alcohol abuse and trying to quit more times than I can count, it just feels completely different this time, I'm truly ready, and I truly do not want to drink anymore. Don't think I've ever felt this way before, in fact I know I haven't. May sound weird, and maybe it's my age, but I've really just had enough.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:28 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

wheresthefun

Wow well done! You seem chose the right time! Perfect for you! I think Im ready too. I feel that this time I will manage to stay sober and reach mine 7, 30 and 90 days.
Could you help with weekend feelings. I haven't had dry weekend for years!!! Not sure how to stay away this Friday, Saturday and Sunday? If I get through these 3 days I will be hero. Please help with some trick.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:53 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Gotta tell ya Healthyfood, I'm not using any tricks, least I don't see it that way.

On the one hand I've kept kind of busy, but it's things I've been meaning to do for a long time, only most weekends I had gotten up and started drinking to hurry up and get "normal". But, also I spent time just sitting on our deck, sipping water or diet soda, talking to my wife (who was drinking), playing with my iPhone and just enjoying the day, our gardens - life.

Yesterday, while my wife was sitting on the deck, getting as she says "pickled", I was installing all the accessories on my bike that I bought Saturday. I live only a mile from a grocery store, and I decided I wanted to ride my bike for groceries instead of driving. Now, I'm ready to do that, and being sober the odds of me getting killed have been greatly diminished!

I wish I could give you more, I read here about people "white knuckling" it and I just don't have that going on. In fact, we ate lunch out Saturday and Sunday, my wife drank both times, and we even sat at the bar on Sunday and I had zero desire to drink booze.

Like I said, it's different this time, I've flat out just had it with alcohol.

That said, I'll help you or anyone else in any way I can, feel free to PM me, though I think we are in differing time zones, I'm in the Boston, MA, USA area.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:01 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi Healthyfood and Stevie88,
today is my first day too. Nice to know there are others out there going thru what I am.