Xanax

Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Xanax

OK, here's an interesting situation. Been seeing a therapist and psychiatrist (on top of SR and AlAnon), and he's prescribed Xanax to help me deal with anxiety and stress. But now I'm afraid to take it, for what are probably obvious reasons. Anyone else relate?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just started trying it a month ago. I'm on other meds Seroquel for sleep, Arimidex for cancer, Pristiq for antidepressants. I don't like taking any pills but I can't deal with all day panick stricken thoughts and feelings. My anxiety and nerves are so damaged from everything I've been going through, I can't deal normally. It's damnded if I do and damnded if I don't.

For now, this is helping. I'm being very aware of how much and when I take it and monitoring if it's going get out of hand.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been admonished before to not give medical advice here... but you could discuss your concerns with your doctor. Several friends of mine are on Xanax, and have been told that "if you need it, you won't get addicted."

I'm very, very cautious of any kind of medication that has the potential to make you addicted, but I also think that sometimes, it's a question of choosing between cholera and pestilence -- what's worse, the anxiety attacks or the risk of getting addicted? Can you function without it? Are there other things you can do (relaxation tapes, meditation, prayer, exercise) that might help without medication?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When in doubt, seek a second opinion from a doctor.

Can I relate? Sure. I believe the brain can fix itself and I also believe some people need help adjusting their chemicals. Simply put, I sit on the fence here.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Are the therapist and psychiatrist two different people? If so - consult with your therapist. If not maybe they should be.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All good feedback. Gonna hold back on the prescription until I talk it through a bit more.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

jayscott,
There was certainly a point where I was feeling very crazy, mixed up, uneven, whatever. I thought that if only I had a prescription then I would feel better. I would sleep. I would think. I wouldn't be afraid. etc.

Much like you, I started coming here and posting. I started seeing a therapist. The combination of both seemed to lift the fog and get me thinking straight and once that happened, a lot of anxiety disappeared.

You're going through alot right now. Keep your chin up and be proud.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

I've been divorced twice and both times very early in the process I saw a therapist to help me get through the rough spots. Both times they wanted to refer me to a psych so I could get ADs prescribed. As it turned out I was lucky in that I really didn't need ADs, I just needed to get divorced.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was prescribed Xanax about a year ago, with the Dr. instruction to take when you have extreme anxiety and only a max of 2 per day.

I have taken exactly 4 pills in a year because of the 'extreme anxiety' instruction and it has greatly helped those extreme times.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awakening

For me, when I was going through this, I felt like my mind was spinning out of control, and the fear and anxiety were almost crippling. I'm pretty sure that is how it was SUPPOSED TO FEEL.

When I was going through it, I was on edge, but I needed my EDGE. KWIM. It never occurred to me , nor were they offered, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have benefited from being CALM during that storm. I'm afraid it would have given me an "O.K......whatever you say" attitude. Wouldn't want to lose my "killer instinct".

I was given 2 xanax's before a nasal procedure years ago, and frankly, I wouldn't have cared if he cut my nose off by the time the xanax kicked in.

I just think you need to lose a little weight, maybe about 120lbs, or what ever she weighs.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coyote21 View Post
I just think you need to lose a little weight, maybe about 120lbs, or what ever she weighs.
Laughed out loud at this one. Very timely seeing as how I just got off the phone with her. She sounded like she needs the Xanax more than I do.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Xanax is a very dangerous drug and is know to have (by far) the worse withdrawal syndrome of any drug.

If you go with it ask the druggist for the info sheet and Read the Warnings. This can be addicting is as short to two weeks. The manufacturer admits this. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)for me after finding my husband.....
Old 01-25-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Jayscott. I talked about prescriptions with my psychiatrist a lot before agreeing to try anything and we talked about several different options. Then I spoke with my attorney, not about side effects or anything like that, but as to how it could affect my case. My main concern was related to the upcoming divorce and custody proceedings. (ie if now-XAH found out about it, could he use it against me in the custody hearing) Then I brought that up with the psychiatrist.

The lawyer told me the courts generally like parents to get the help they need and as long as I followed a doctor's treatment then it wouldn't be a strike against me.

The psychiatrist completely understood, outlined the possible side effects and we held off on starting a prescription until between court dates so I wouldn't be dealing with any side effects while trying to talk with my attorney or the court.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

As it turned out I was lucky in that I really didn't need ADs, I just needed to get divorced.
Same here. I was on ADs for 8 years and forgot to bring the meds when I rushed the kids out of the house that night. Haven't needed them since.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I wonder if this means I might be able to stop taking that migraine prescription...
Old 01-25-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by jayscott View Post
I wonder if this means I might be able to stop taking that migraine prescription...
I know you may be joking, but all seriousness aside, we had a thread on here a while back about all the "stress induced maladies" that spontaneously cleared up after active alcoholism was out from "under our roofs".

I had a patch of psoriasis on my leg that drove me crazy for 8 years, didn't respond to ANY medication, neither OTC or prescription. It began to heal on it's own a few months out.

Yep, lose some weight.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My recovery therapist told me to take Valarian from the healthfood store for anxiety. She knows I am a recovering addict.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Xanax is a very dangerous drug and is know to have (by far) the worse withdrawal syndrome of any drug.

If you go with it ask the druggist for the info sheet and Read the Warnings. This can be addicting is as short to two weeks. The manufacturer admits this. Good luck whatever you decide.

Exactly what he noonereal said, plus it is generally not recommended to be prescribed to people with addiction problems, for obvious reasons: not medical advice, simple fact that is printed on warning labels.

If you google "xanax withdrawal" and have a read of a few results you might think twice about using this medication.

I'm 6 months of xanax and have 20 symptoms remaining, including near constant migraine. I will never touch another benzo again, for any reason.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Full Disclosure-- I love Xanax. Love it. But, it's a drug like any other drug and drug rules apply. If, in the past, you've had issues with addiction please consider that before taking Xanax. If, however, you have occasional life experiences in which it would be nice to take the edge off, Xanax may work for you.

Also, like any drug, it may not work for you or you many not like the side effects. My AW, who has a Xanax prescription from her doctor which many feel is inconsistant with recovery, rarely takes them because she does not like the side affects. This is the same woman who has profound issues with alcohol. Doesn't make sense to me, but it is what it is.

If you don't like the side effects or it doesn't work for you, work with your doctor towards a different solution. Also, when not abused or taken regularly withdrawl issues are, as far as I understand it, rare.

For me it's like insurance. I rarely use it, but it's nice to know I have it when I need it. Sometimes, that fact alone is good enough for me to not take it-- just knowing that I can if I really feel the need.

Plus, it instantly knocks about 20 points off my IQ and I need every point I have. Same for AW. I know, immediately, when she has taken one. Frankly, I can't remember the last time she has taken one, and controlling me has been watching them like a hawk.

Take what you want and leave the rest.

Cyranoak