Xanax

Old 01-25-2011, 05:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

my dr. offered xanax when
i couldn't get a full breath in from anxiety...i asked him for something not as good..i was so vulnerable and barely funtioning dealing w/ my daughters drinking and using..i thought why tempt fate..but that was my instict kicking in..knew i was in a hard way and ripe for becoming dependant...never had a xanax but they must be good from all the kids at my daughters rehab who loved em!
Old 01-25-2011, 06:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I know you may be joking, but all seriousness aside, we had a thread on here a while back about all the "stress induced maladies" that spontaneously cleared up after active alcoholism was out from "under our roofs".

I had a patch of psoriasis on my leg that drove me crazy for 8 years, didn't respond to ANY medication, neither OTC or prescription. It began to heal on it's own a few months out.
A medical checkup was one of the things that pushed me over the edge and made me start making plans for leaving: The doc was shaking his head saying "You're living a healthier life than any of my patients -- you're eating better than I am, taking the right supplements, you're in great shape, and you're not drinking or smoking. What I can't figure out is why your test results come back looking like you're 20 years older than you are. It makes no sense."

Made sense to me. I didn't just lose 200 lbs, I also got 20 years younger. Or 30.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm pretty thankful my mom RARELY gave us medicine growing up. I developed the same mind-set, if I don't NEED the med I'd rather not take it. Even when my drinking was going out of control, if I got pain pills I took them only for a couple of days, switching to ibuprofen as soon as I could.

I know some people NEED psych meds, and that's between them and their (hopefully competent) physician. I'd just rather not unless I could function no other way.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

My opinion is - if you've got a 'gut' feeling - listen to it.

Go back and discuss it with your doctor.

I'll *always* vote for going with the intuition.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My personal (won't give profession opinion), I would take it as needed only at a lower dose because it's highly addictive and a nightmare to get off of.
You can use natural products that work just as well or better than xanax. I've tried meds and natural (I'm a naturopath) and natural worked great for me.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by myheadhurts View Post
I'm 6 months of xanax and have 20 symptoms remaining, including near constant migraine. I will never touch another benzo again, for any reason.
Research into strengthening your adrenal glands and the headaches may disappear. Bezos put a lot of stress on them.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Jay,

Remember that SR is a place about addiction so the feedback maybe a bit more reactionary about something like xanax.

But if you have no addiction problems of your own then I'd definately follow the doctor's suggestion and take it as prescribed.

I suffer from anxiety and have no addiction issues and have taken klonopin (in the same family as xanax) only when i feel very anxious and it helps. I don't take it daily either.

I understand your hesitation but from the other side of the coin, anxiety is horrible so trying it out will not hurt.

There are some of us who can take a few pills and not go off the deep end and abuse them, even highly addictive ones. Just be aware if you are relying 'too much' on it but using it as prescribed may really help you cope.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
Hi Jay,

Remember that SR is a place about addiction so the feedback maybe a bit more reactionary about something like xanax.
You do realize addiction and dependence are two different things?
My story.
For the record I am not and have never been an addict of anything, I took way, way less Xanax than ever prescribed and became dependent. Part of the problem was that I did not know it for years and years. I only took it when I needed it.
I started needing it more and more because (did not know at the time) I was going through interdose withdrawal. Dr kept trying to increase the dose to compensate for the increasing problems. Dr bills became exorbitant as no one diagnosed that all my issues were benzo interdose withdrawal.

It took two years to taper and I am now two years in withdrawal. Repeated hospitalizations. Bear in mind, I never abused the drug and NEVER took as much as suggested.

I also promise you the withdrawal syndrome associated with Benzo withdrawal is unlike any other. (This is easily documented with a quick Google search)

So you are where I was. Getting relief while I was being damaged unknowingly. Now I know better.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
You do realize addiction and dependence are two different things?
My story.
For the record I am not and have never been an addict of anything, I took way, way less Xanax than ever prescribed and became dependent. Part of the problem was that I did not know it for years and years. I only took it when I needed it.
I started needing it more and more because (did not know at the time) I was going through interdose withdrawal. Dr kept trying to increase the dose to compensate for the increasing problems. Dr bills became exorbitant as no one diagnosed that all my issues were benzo interdose withdrawal.

It took two years to taper and I am now two years in withdrawal. Repeated hospitalizations. Bear in mind, I never abused the drug and NEVER took as much as suggested.

I also promise you the withdrawal syndrome associated with Benzo withdrawal is unlike any other. (This is easily documented with a quick Google search)

So you are where I was. Getting relief while I was being damaged unknowingly. Now I know better.
this right here is the real truth. This is exactly what happened to me 12 yrs ago.
Dr's don't even know more than half the time the meds they give people. Dr's should be forced to take a pharma course. They give meds they would never even take! Scary stuff!

North America is a society of pill poppers. I'm not saying some meds are not good to get over the hump of anxiety and depression, but they have yet to cure either.
This is just my opinion and not wanting to start a debate on meds. I'm for both when used correctly.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Benzos are so misleading, especially Xanax. It works so well at first it's almost like they are a miracle drug. Upon my first prescription I thought I'd found the answer to all my anxiety issues, and I hoped I could take them for the rest of my life. So yes, for someone high strung, stressed out, or with PTSD as I had, they truly do allow a serene landscape from which to take on life's mishaps and internal problems. What a confidence boost it is to be calm in the face of things you would normally be bouncing off the walls over.

Just a bit of history on me... I'm a hard core alcoholic, my disease evolving since I was young. It should be obvious from that qualification that I've had many extremely painful and protracted withdrawals and detox from the booze. A few times I came as close to death as humanly possible without actually kicking the bucket, all due to alcohol withdrawal.

Here's the thing. Those pains and experiences with booze withdrawal, and I'm talking about the worst times I've ever had coming off of the drink, they were walks on a sunny day in a park filled with dancing bunnies and rainbows, compared to the withdrawal from Xanax. Mind you I abused the benzos for sure, and I drank on top of them. And because I was a knucklehead I never once researched to see just how badly they could effect me after long term exposure. So I just stopped cold turkey, everything all at once.

I won't bother explaining how it felt or what happened to me as a result of that decision, if you want to know read this thread, or this one. But I will say that I would rather die than experience that agony again. Seriously, I can honestly say that under no circumstances would I put myself through that again. If it was a case of me not having a choice but to face the 5 months (yes, 5 months) I spent in living hell coming off of Xanax and Ambien, I would just top myself.

Plainly, benzodiazepines are tricky and highly dangerous substances, to an addict yes, but even to those without dependency and addiction issues. The allure of this drug and it's initial effectiveness alone can cause any person to feel like they are worth repeat prescriptions.

OP, if you are in a really bad way I would say taking them as prescribed is OK, but I'd highly recommend you never use Xanax UNLESS you are in extreme anxiety - as in 1 step away from a total panic attack. And it's also extremely smart not to take them more than a few days at a time, leaving weeks and months between doses, no matter what any doctor says to you. That is, of course, my opinion. I've read up on this drug since, and from what I've come to understand there are plenty of GP's who have no clue about the serious (read:dangerous) nature of a benzo withdrawal, and plenty of doctors who are guilty of whacking out their own patients from that lack of knowledge.

Personally, I would tear up the script and look for an alternative solution because you are knocking at the door of benzo dependence just by using them. Benzos are NO JOKE.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

It's plain scary how many DRs prescribe these things like the Valium of the 80s. When it comes to my brain chemistry I don't trust anyone. Lord knows I've done enough damage myself! I'm very protective of the few healthy brain cells I have left...
Old 01-26-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

It couldn't be any worse than Effexor. It took me a year to get off that stuff. I had eye twiches, nerve twiches, anxiety and whatever else.

All medications are dangerous. If you have to be on anything, keep in touch with the psychiatrist and share what's going on. Don't lie so you can get more.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks for the links, binderdonedat.
Heavy stuff.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yes I do realize that addiction and dependence are different, I also realize that medication advice is not something someone should get from an online forum so my advice stands.

Medications affect people differently, yes there are side effects and dependence is one of them but not everyone who takes a benzo becomes dependent.

It is like any other med, it varies so all he can do is work with what the psych prescribes.

Meds saved me from killing myself. Used properly they can be literally lifesavers so I hope he at least goes to the right source of info for his issue, his doc.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Meds saved me from killing myself. Used properly they can be literally lifesavers so I hope he at least goes to the right source of info for his issue, his doc.
Ditto Babyblue.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Many doctors prescribe these psychotropic drugs for myriad off-label uses. Uses they haven't actually been approved for. It's great that they stopped you killing yourself, but they have caused other people to kill themselves.

Being given a medication for a severe mental problem which is likely to end in suicide and being given psychotropic medication for non approved ailments such as; tinnitus, jet lag, vertigo, shyness, nervousness etc are completely different.

I would bet a dime to a dollar every time that a person being prescribed a psychotropic for off label use would run for the hills if they were actually told of the potential side effects (rather unwanted direct effects) and the potential discontinuation syndrome (withdrawals).

I think it is helpful to remember a few things about psychotropics:

1: The action by which they work is unknown (not advice, not speculation, but fact written in the manufacturers literature)

2: There is not one clinical test available to determine a "mental illness"

3: There is no way to measure functioning levels of the neurotransmitters these drugs are supposed to act on (again fact, not my opinion)

4: These drugs are prescribed for illnesses that cannot be tested for, are taken in doses guessed upon, are often switched around to "find" one that "works" with the least severe "side effects".

30 years ago these drugs were not found outside an asylum, now they are forced on school children, children younger than 10!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
It troubles me no end that this charlatanism has so much power in some societies (that is my opinion), it is a greed driven money machine. These drugs do NOT cure "mental illness" they merely play with behaviors.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yes I do realize that addiction and dependence are different, I also realize that medication advice is not something someone should get from an online forum so my advice stands.

Sorry, I did not realize you were qualified to give advise.

Is it OK that I shared my story?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by myheadhurts View Post

30 years ago these drugs were not found outside an asylum, now they are forced on school children, children younger than 10!

I was speaking with a rather accomplished doctor at Baylor a few months ago and I mentioned that Ritalin was ultimate gateway drug. He interrupted me and politely corrected me claiming Ritalin had eliminated the gate altogether.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:50 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
I was speaking with a rather accomplished doctor at Baylor a few months ago and I mentioned that Ritalin was ultimate gateway drug. He interrupted me and politely corrected me claiming Ritalin had eliminated the gate altogether.
I don't understand what you mean?

And like sheep being led to the slaughter house, people are easily led by the doctor's they trust. we need to take responsibility to check things out for ourselves. The pharmaceutical world does not care about us and whether we get well or not, they only care about the profit.

When my son was in 4th grade he started kind of goofing off in class, being the class clown, talking during class.

The teachers had a "big" meeting with me. All of them in the room including the vice principal. I was like "holy crap" what's going on?!

After a short conversation and a few questions, I saw on a table literature for ADD.

I immediately said to them, "if you brought me here to suggest my son needs medication, you're wasting your time". I told them I will work on the discipline part with my son but I will not put him on medication.

I only had to talk with my son and just give him some extra attention at home, and things got better. The discipline did not become an issue.

He still likes to goof around in class, but knows better than to do it to "disrupt" the class. This is not an emotional/mental disorder. It's just the way he is.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:42 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kiki5711 View Post
I don't understand what you mean?

He interrupted me and politely corrected me claiming Ritalin had eliminated the gate altogether..
he felt Ritalin was essentially the same as street drugs

no gate to go through,

(indeed they are street drugs)