Xanax

Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

How did people survive 50 yrs ago without all these drugs? Simple, there was less stress, cleaner enviroment and better/cleaner foods. Today people eat like cr*p, are exposed to so many enviromental toxins and our hormones and bodies are taxed.

And then you have the lovely doctors who are probably more screwed up that the people they treat, treating you.
I can tell you from professional experience, in the naturopathic clinic where I work, we have a large MD population. Yes, they seek out natural healing, but will never tell their patients to go, and the Psych dr's are the absolute craziest people you ever met.
One dr who came in yesterday, who heads the largest psych unit in my city, comes because he suffers depression and stomach pains. He's been at my clinic for 3 yrs. He does yoga in the middle of the session, then stops us to eat lunch, during session, then leaves about 10 times in the 90 mins session to use the bathroom.
Then tells us he would never take the meds he gives his patients.
Yet, he's giving his patients ad's like they are candy! Why doesn't he take them?
Why would he not suggest to his patients to heal naturally? Why cause he's a doc and like most docs, appease the large pharma's
I worked in the pharma industry for 8 yrs and all the rumors you hear, are all true!

The ER doc's, the psychologists, the cardiologists, the gyno's, all these docs seek out natural healing from us because they know how crazy some meds are.

We do not advise meds in our clinic, but we don't shun them and work with patients who are on them. But we also highly encourage our patients to get off of them when we show them there are healthier ways to heal.

Trust YOURSELF, not what some guy in a white coat gives you to pop! Research each and every drug you poison yourself with. I was a sheep and took xanax and other drugs, I was never healed. Once I stopped meds, my anxiety and depression were still there.
Once i took control of my life and took my health into my own hands, I got well.
Lupus under control, barely ANY anxiety and depression, close to gone.
There are many natural and amazing things you can take to balance the body. Depression is an imbalance in chemicals. AD's just kill the immune system, make you fat and screw with your chemicals even more.
Again, not to say some psych meds don't have their place. But someone goes through a break up, they run and get drugs? To me, that makes zero sense!
Not much different than an addict drinking to ease their pain.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Take it easy people...

...we, of anybody, should know that drugs don't affect everybody in the same way. These blanket statements about Xanax and Ritalin are killing me.

I taught high school for seven years and saw Ritalin overprescribed, and also saw it profoundly and positively change the lives of students almost overnight. It worked for some, and not for others. Some abused it some didn't. It's a drug. That's how they work.

The same for Xanax. I know people who hate it, I know people who've abused it, and I know people for whom it is a wonder drug they take on occasion. It worked for some, and not for others. Some abused it some didn't. It's a drug. That's how they work.

After a lifetime of having difficulty paying attention in school and at work, and having tried everything I could think of to solve for that, at 42 I asked my doctor for ritalin or adderal. He gave me ritalin, I tried it, and lo and behold I was able to focus.

To this day, Monday through Friday, I take 10mg in the morning. I don't take it any other time, I don't take it on weekends or days off, and I don't crush it up and sniff it. Why? Because for some reason God did not make me a drug addict. It's the same reason I can share a bottle of wine with a friend or go have a couple of beers after work.

This whole gateway drug drama thing going on here is BS. Drugs are drugs. Addicts will find their gateway drug ANYWHERE because they are addicts. For the rest of us they are tools that work for some of us, and not others.

Please, let's be rational about this and not project our personal biases when responding to posts of this nature-- especially through personal attacks.

Bottom line? Know thyself.

My two cents.

Cyranoak

P.s Even doctors can be wrong, and they often are.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:49 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
dbh

My Xanax Story

Hello.

I'm relatively new to this site. I'm an ACA who has approximately three years of recovery under my belt. I used to hang out and post on the WSO/ACA site until it was taken down. I have found a lot of ESH here and appreciate everyone's posting.

I've enjoyed this thread and wanted to share my experience with XANAX.

About three years ago my alcoholic father came back into my life. We had a superficial relationship for most of my life, but three years ago he started to develop dementia and other health problems (he was only 68 at the time). He literally couldn't take care of himself anymore. I and one of my cousins helped him find alternative housing and medical treatment. It was a long road. He was in and out of regular and psychiatric hospitals. He drank his entire life and didn't have any money. He spent the final year of his life in a nursing home for Medicaid patients. He died in August 2010.

It was one of the most difficult periods of my life. I'm married and have relatively young children. My life was very full without having to add on this additional stress. I also had many unresolved issues regarding my father. When he first became ill I started having full-blown panic attacks. I couldn't breath, couldn't sleep, and was throwing up. In addition to my recovery work, I started to see a therapist. At her recommendation, I went to my doctor and got a prescription for XANAX.

I knew all the dangers associated with XANAX, but I decided to try it to see if it brought any relief. I took a very small therapeutic amount (.25 mg) at night to help me sleep. I would also take it during particularly emotional times - when I had to clean out my father's apartment, go through his belonging, visit him at the state run mental hospital. I always took .25mg and it seemed to calm me enough to get through.

I also worked A LOT on my recovery. I still see my therapist. I exercise, meditate, and do yoga. I find that I really don't need the XANAX that much anymore. I still take it sometimes to sleep or when I find myself getting triggered by certain situations.

I've always found myself being almost ashame to "confess" my XANAX use to my ACA friends. But you know, I think I actual owe a lot of my recovery on being able to calm the voices in my head long enough to work through my past.

I did enjoy this thread though and I found so much useful information on benzo.org.uk. Benzodiazepines do seem like dangerous drugs when taken in excess or for recreational purposes. I started to see part of myself in the dangers of becoming dependent when taking a therapeutic dose. I do carry the pills around with me and will sometimes take them if it anticipate a stressful situation. Also, I have continued to take them even though the "event" that caused me to get them has long passed. I think I'm probably at a place now where I should stop.

For what it's worth, I can go for days without any and haven't experience any sort of withdrawals.

Thank you for letting me share.

Regards,

db
Old 01-27-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Summerpeach View Post
How did people survive 50 yrs ago without all these drugs? Simple, there was less stress, cleaner enviroment and better/cleaner foods. Today people eat like cr*p, are exposed to so many enviromental toxins and our hormones and bodies are taxed.

And then you have the lovely doctors who are probably more screwed up that the people they treat, treating you.
I can tell you from professional experience, in the naturopathic clinic where I work, we have a large MD population. Yes, they seek out natural healing, but will never tell their patients to go, and the Psych dr's are the absolute craziest people you ever met.
One dr who came in yesterday, who heads the largest psych unit in my city, comes because he suffers depression and stomach pains. He's been at my clinic for 3 yrs. He does yoga in the middle of the session, then stops us to eat lunch, during session, then leaves about 10 times in the 90 mins session to use the bathroom.
Then tells us he would never take the meds he gives his patients.
Yet, he's giving his patients ad's like they are candy! Why doesn't he take them?
Why would he not suggest to his patients to heal naturally? Why cause he's a doc and like most docs, appease the large pharma's
I worked in the pharma industry for 8 yrs and all the rumors you hear, are all true!

The ER doc's, the psychologists, the cardiologists, the gyno's, all these docs seek out natural healing from us because they know how crazy some meds are.

We do not advise meds in our clinic, but we don't shun them and work with patients who are on them. But we also highly encourage our patients to get off of them when we show them there are healthier ways to heal.

Trust YOURSELF, not what some guy in a white coat gives you to pop! Research each and every drug you poison yourself with. I was a sheep and took xanax and other drugs, I was never healed. Once I stopped meds, my anxiety and depression were still there.
Once i took control of my life and took my health into my own hands, I got well.
Lupus under control, barely ANY anxiety and depression, close to gone.
There are many natural and amazing things you can take to balance the body. Depression is an imbalance in chemicals. AD's just kill the immune system, make you fat and screw with your chemicals even more.
Again, not to say some psych meds don't have their place. But someone goes through a break up, they run and get drugs? To me, that makes zero sense!
Not much different than an addict drinking to ease their pain.
How can you claim this about depression, there is no scientific test to ascertain the cause of depression. This statement is contrary to everything else you said in your post. The idea of a chemical imbalance is just that, an idea, unproven, unverifiable and unscientific; a smokescreen used to convince doctors to prescribe it for everything.

In relation to you question, people managed to survive without these pills 30 years ago because they hadn't had a marketing machine tell them every aspect of life and every emotion is a symptom of illness. Pharma and American Psychiatric Association have invented an illness for every state of being, for every emotion, every phase of life.

Kid playing up in class? ADD ADHD Pills please, let's not entertain the idea that the child might be bored because the teacher is garbage or the kid is too intelligent for the level being taught. Pills, the kid must be broken.

Nervous about speaking in front of 500 people? SAD, Pills please, everyone should be able to perform in front of huge audiences, you must be broken and need medicating if you can't do it.

Feel good sometimes? Down after a bad day at work? Bi Polar, Pills please, you're not happy all the time, everybody is supposed to be happy all the time, if you're not, you're ill and need medicating.

Your life partner died? Still feel sad after the grieving time prescribed in the DSM? Ka ching! You have depression, everybody should be over a death in exactly the same time, you are not, you are broken......open wide, medication time!

Keep everything in you house organized? disorganization bothers you? OCD kaching! you are broken, normal people don't organize everything into recognizable orders, you need medicating.

Everything people do, feel, experience, think about etc etc now has an illness name assigned to it thanks to the DSM, people used to be people and dealt with life issues through myriad means. Now after years and years of advertising and marketing, a society of people, who believe their every action is a symptom of mental illness, is now emerging.

Now I understand quite well the importance of medication for those who need it. Unfortunately, just as was the case with antibiotics, psychotropic meds are over prescribed, moreover they are dished out like candy to anyone and everyone, quite often on the basis of no more than a concept and a 10 minute consultation.

I find it to be an absolute disgrace, millions of iatrogenic addicts created in the name of laziness and greed. I thought psychiatrists were supposed to help people with their "issues" not merely medicate them into submission. The system as it stands is morally bankrupt and in the future will have devastating ramifications for societies who medicate the human condition.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:05 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Then I should have just said "Depression is an imbalance in the body"
Any time depression is present, it's because we are "holding something down" Something is being "depressed"
We are cells, electons, chemicals and when we get out of balance, disease appears like depression, cancers etc.
When we are in balance spiritually, chemically and physically, we function at optimnal speed.
Love the rest of your post :-)
Old 01-27-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

DBH, I am not opposed to any meds if they get anyone over a hump, but most go beyond that hump.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Simple, there was less stress, cleaner enviroment and better/cleaner foods..
This is a common misconception.

especially the stress and environmental stuff

In 1960 rivers (for example) were so polluted many stopped freezing over in the winter

air quality is significantly better also
Old 01-28-2011, 06:23 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post

P.s Even doctors can be wrong, and they often are.
A recent AMA study found that one in five office visit patients are misdiagnosed. Indeed they can be very wrong. And that is the good news. For complains not including normal temporary maladies diagnosis becomes dramatically worse.

Why anyone would take a drug to accommodate the evolution of a particular society is beyond me.

That said I am glad their are some people it helps.

Most these drugs are seductive as they do initially perform as advertised.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:24 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

DBH, I am not opposed to any meds if they get anyone over a hump, but most go beyond that hump.
another excellent post, thanks
Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by myheadhurts View Post
Kid playing up in class? ADD ADHD Pills please, let's not entertain the idea that the child might be bored because the teacher is garbage or the kid is too intelligent for the level being taught. Pills, the kid must be broken.
Bingo! We have a winner.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Too Late For Me

Many years ago, I went through extreme insomnia after a bout with pneumonia. This in turned caused anorexia, severe anxiety, hyperventillation and agoraphobia. I couldn't sleep, eat or do anything. I thought I was going to die. Benzos (which is the drug class of Xanax) saved my life (literally). After a while, I only took them occasionally when I was anxious and couldn't sleep - AND I only took them (smallest dose) at night. That was fine for 15 years, just having them and I was glad they were there when the anxiety was bad. I did see a psychologist who helped me learn how to deal with breathing techniques (very important while experiencing anxiety) and I got the 'tools' I needed to heal myself naturally as well.

When I started living with the A - the anxiety was constant, and pretty much since I've been with him, I take them every night before bed. I know I'm addicted to that same dose, but I NEVER have an anxiety attack anymore. So - the moral of the story is that yes - they are addictive. Yes - they work when you need them. Yes - it would be better if you could find an alternative, but for some, like me, they could have their place. I hope that when I'm out from under the 'roof of active alcoholism', I may be able to cut back and eventually quit.

It's a personal decision, based on the severity of the anxiety.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Welll, I sure stirred up the pot now didn't I?

My philosophy on "pharmaceuticals" is that those are the drugs that society has decided it's OK to profit from. Big difference (to me) between Pharma and Medicine, sometimes a cup of tea with a little ginger is better medicine than some phenylephadrine. I have always avoided taking pills unless absolutely necessary: antibiotics, major painkillers for major events (surgery, etc.), clearly diagnosable chronic condition.

I've decided I'm not going to touch the Xanax. I acknowledge I'm a moody guy, maybe even eccentric. But you know what? Maybe we are meant to experience our emotions, particularly in times of stress...maybe it's part of what helps our psychology cope and readjust and learn. I'm not saying mental illness doesn't exist, as it clearly does and there are situations where medication is warranted. But there's not going to be any Ritalin in my house.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by jayscott View Post
Welll, I sure stirred up the pot now didn't I?
And how.

Originally Posted by jayscott View Post
I've decided I'm not going to touch the Xanax. I acknowledge I'm a moody guy, maybe even eccentric. But you know what? Maybe we are meant to experience our emotions, particularly in times of stress...maybe it's part of what helps our psychology cope and readjust and learn. I'm not saying mental illness doesn't exist, as it clearly does and there are situations where medication is warranted. But there's not going to be any Ritalin in my house.
I feel the exact same way, another good decision, IMHO. If I'm put in the position to protect my family from something as deadly as alcoholism, I need to be hitting on ALL 8 cylinders.

I hope you manage to have a nice boring weekend.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:34 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I think that psychotropic meds are overprescribed, but there is a time and place where they are appropriate. It is best to consult with a doctor that you trust. My RABF is a pill addict, and so is my mom. So, I know that pills can be harmful. However, there are times when psychotropic meds are very helpful. It depends on if they are being taken as prescribed and if they are being prescribed by a good physician. There are people with conditions like bipolar disorder, clinical depression, schizophrenia, etc., who have received great assistance from medication. Unfortunately, sometimes people with mental disorders "self-medicate" with alcohol or other drugs. This doesn't meant that all modern drugs are bad. I think it is important that we retain a balanced view on the subject.

For my own depression, I work with a psychiatrist and use a variety of treatments for my disorder. I take anti-depressants, but also work on my diet, do yoga, meditate, etc. I have found that I do best with a combination of treatments. I tried Xanax several years ago (under the direction of a psychiatrist). It seemed to just make me more anxious after it wore off. It appears to be a drug that gets abused often. So, I wouldn't think it would be a first choice for an anxiety medication.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:24 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Pots have to be stirred.
Otherwise, it just burns and the food is ruined.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:13 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I tried Xanax several years ago (under the direction of a psychiatrist). It seemed to just make me more anxious after it wore off.
Thank you for posting this. I feel the same way. I thought I was imagining things but now I know I'm not.