Notices

needs some help

Old 07-02-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

needs some help

hey everyone, i have currently been abusing hydrocodone for about a solid year straight not missing to many days ..Iv done got to the point to were im done with them for good, but when quiting recently for 12 dayss straight dealt with the pain and suffering that most of us do. The worst part to cope with was the restless feelings and my legs feeling like jello. I turned back to them for 2 weeks and once again decided that im done with them for gooood this time. I am currently going on my 3rd day clean so far. But im having terrrible problems with my body and legs aching to the point that i just dont want to move. ill take any support and help on dealing with this experience.
thanks everone
Old 07-02-2010, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Have you been to a meeting yet? All these symptoms will pass, but it's hard to stay clean on the memory of the misery, as you've found out Start building a foundation -- go to a meeting.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 07-02-2010, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

I stopped using many times, but could never stay stopped until I found NA and worked the 12 steps.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

to be honest with you im so new to the site, i know little to none about anything. I dont know where the meetings are held nor how to attend, this is a whole new experience for me.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome to SR! Glad you are here.

I see you are located in Texas. Not sure which part exactly. Maybe this site can help you find a meeting in your area. Texas NA • Narcotics Anonymous • TX

Also--this is from NA website...how to find a meeting
www.NA.org - the website for the Fellowship of Narcotics Anonymous
Old 07-02-2010, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

im kinda out in the sticks there isnt hardely a gas station near ten miles. These meetings what is the purpose of going to them? is it the guidence how do they work? I really wish i could try to get through this misery as undercover as possible, without bringing my family and close ones into it.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

This may help answer some of your questions.

http://www.na.org/admin/include/spaw.../IP/EN3101.pdf

If you're an addict and you're trying to keep your addiction a secret...that might be the worst mistake you can make. If no one knows, no one can help.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Women Do Recover!

Victoria Group
They meet Sunday at7:00 PM

GET TO A MEETING
Old 07-02-2010, 07:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Women Do Recover!

Port Lavaca
Tuesday at 7:00 PM

GET TO A MEETING
Old 07-02-2010, 07:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Women Do Recover!

Refuge Group
Monday at 8:00 PM

I mean get to a meeting....
Old 07-02-2010, 10:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

the one in bay city sounds good but the afternoon hours are hard in my schedule taking night classes for school. The meetings seem to sound pretty important?
Old 07-05-2010, 04:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Women Do Recover!

Yeah walkinghospital - Meetings are EXTREMELY important.

Did any of us mention how important meetings are??? They are

Take time to get to them just like you took time to score.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

You don't want your family or close ones to know.
Your too busy to attend meetings.
You want to keep it undercover.

Let me ask you some things -

[1] Have you ever heard of Narcotics Anonymous?
[2] Are you aware that this is a Narcotics Anonymous forum?
[3] Did you know that Narcotics Anonymous is a 12 Step Program?
[4] Have you ever heard of the 12 Steps?

If your answer is no to any of the questions, you could do yourself a favor by checking out the link I provided previously :
http://www.na.org/admin/include/spaw.../IP/EN3101.pdf

Now here are the REALLY important questions:

[1] Are you an addict?
[2] Are you willing to do what it takes to recover from your addiction?

If your answer is yes to either or both, you're in the right place. There is no miracle one-size-fits-all solution, but in order to get what we have (recovery), you'll have to follow the path that we've followed to get there. Meeting attendance is only a part of that solution, but it is the starting place for many of us.

Get to a meeting. No excuses.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Making meetings was the beginning of my new life without the use of drugs.

I attended as many meetings as I possibly could (several times a week, every day if possible) until I had some substantial cleantime. I still attend more than one meeting a week on a regular basis.

I love me some meetings!

Meetings are where I learned how to not pick up and use no matter what.

Amazing what we can learn in meetings,
Missy
Old 07-07-2010, 09:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

well i appriciate the support and importance notices of meetings. But this is my 10th day free and iv never felt better in my life!!!.. I will attend meetings when i do have a chance but as i say, i do have billlss DO attend college and do work full time. This is something iv been wanting to do for the longest and just needed the correct time to taper down and have the plenty of time to recovery from the terrible withdrawls. Iv had really good friends helping me through the experience. But i can honestly say i feel like a whole new person with my priorites completly in order again, thanks to advice and support. I am on my way to a bright future
Old 07-08-2010, 12:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Best wishes to you, Walkinghospital. If you find that your way isn't working for you, feel free to revisit.

This thread brings to mind my own personal experience with addiction and early recovery.

You see, there was a time when I didn't want to believe I was an addict and I certainly wasn't too keen on the idea of attending meetings. I even recall a counselor suggesting that I take a 6 - 9 month leave of absence from my job to live in a long-term "therapeutic recovery community." I told that guy, "No way!! I'm not taking time from my job for that! I've got bills to pay, money to make and a mortgage!" He told me that if I didn't take my recovery seriously I'd lose all of that stuff anyway. I was like, "Yeah..whatever."

Guess what? He was right and I just wasn't ready to do it his way. Two years later I lost my job, almost lost my home and got arrested and charged with crimes I committed to support my addiction. And when I finally got clean and came to NA, I started reading the literature...and these excerpts stood out for me:

"Most of us did not consider ourselves addicted before coming to the Narcotics Anonymous Program. The information available to us came from misinformed people. As long as we could stop using for a while, we thought we were all right. We looked at the stopping, not the using."

and

"At first, we were using in a manner that seemed to be social or at least controllable. We had little indication of the disaster that the future held for us. At some point, our using became uncontrollable and anti-social. This began when things were going well, and we were in situations that allowed us to use frequently. This was usually the end of the good times. We may have tried to moderate, substitute or even stop using, but we went from a state of drugged success and well-being to complete spiritual, mental and emotional bankruptcy. This rate of decline varies from addict to addict. Whether it occurs in years or days, it's all downhill. Those of us who don't die from this disease will go on to prison, mental institutions or complete demoralization as the disease progresses."

They say NA is for those who want it, not for those who need it. We only surrender after admitting complete defeat (hitting bottom). I recall staying clean for almost 9 months on sheer willpower...and I thought for sure I was on the right path. NA taught me that willpower doesn't work, and neither does tapering. I learned a lot in meetings.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're feeling better. Your story reminds me of my story. I was on pills for chronic pain off and on for about two decades before the disease of addiction finally took hold of me in a daily struggle.

I was a suburban upper-middle class government worker, not a likely candidate for addiction, one would think, but I always loved the way that percs and oxys made me feel. They gave me so much energy and a euphoric buzz that was like nothing else, I thought. I would take a 40 and clean and clean, humming happily to myself. I never was a party-type user. Nobody knew my secret.

It took such a long time and I didn't ever use habitually until I hooked up with another active addict. He showed me how to get as much as I wanted to take and that was the beginning of the end for me. One day, I decided to stop and found that I couldn't stand the way not taking pills felt, physically and mentally. I started a period of time where I wrote out tapering schedules and tried to follow them. One time I even got clean off tapering, only to "reward" myself a couple weeks later. Then I began again, a bit at a time, but I got hooked physically much faster this time. I couldn't get off them again, and the tapering schedules are all in a box on my dresser to remind me of this.

By the time I decided to get help, my waterfront house was in foreclosure and I was on the verge of losing everything. In despair, I called the hotline, was told how to find an NA meeting and I also came here on line for additional help. I was helped to get a sponsor and began working steps. I've never been happier. To be honest, drugs were only a symptom of my spiritual despair. I was trying to fill up a hole where my higher power needed to be. I actually thank God for my addiction now, because without it, I'd never have got the chance to do the work that has helped me find myself, to grow up to be a happy woman. I'm still working, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly, changing and growing in so many ways for the better.

NA isn't just about the drugs, at least for many of us. It's about life and finding a way to live, joyous, happy, and free. I have a precious, crazy, mostly happy life now. I wouldn't give anything for my journey.

Here's hoping you give your journey to NA a chance. You have nothing to lose. It's an anonymous program. I have a security clearance, and I've never had a problem with people at work (so far, so good!) I keep my recovery to myself at work, which is sad, but necessary, to protect my career. Welcome, and keep coming back. If you like the people that you meet here, come to meetings and you'll meet the same kind of friendly, caring folk there. You're missing out on so much fun and love and growth by trying to take this journey without other addicts to help you.

Love,
KJ