Notices

New member - short intro

Old 10-11-2003, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

New member - short intro

Hello all,
first of all I would like to say that I'm very glad to have found this board ! I've always been a writer - now trying to become a professional one - and I think sharing experiences is very helpful, at least it is to me.
My name is Christina, I'm a 32 year-old woman living in Belgium. I am long-time divorced and have had other significant traumatic relationships. I have no children, but I do have four cats, my best friends .
I was until recently working as a secretary, but I quit my job in order to finally start studying again ! I am studying psychology.

I have been diagnosed with severe chronic depression and PTSD a few months ago, but it has been going on for many years already, unrecognized. Even I only recognized my depression a few months ago.
I am on a lot of medication (SSRI anti-depressant, Lormetazepam Bromazepam and a few painkillers). I'm also seeing a great therapist, twice a week.

The events that triggered my depression and PTSD are, as far as I can tell : continued emotional abuse during childhood, verbal, emotional and physical abuse during my 3-year marriage, spousal rape. There are other factors too but these are the most important ones.

I am working on a short version of my life story and on a "recovery" story - although I just started to recover. My psychological problems have affected my life insofar that I cannot maintain or even start a healthy relationship with a man. I have symptoms of codependency but most of all I don't trust anyone. My self-esteem is zero (except professionally). So I guess I still have a long way to go, and I hope posting and reading on the board will help me.

Thanks for reading,
Christina.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Hello Christina,

Welcome to the forum. We just share our expereinces here in an informal way and hope we can help each other get through the days.

Sounds like you're very active in your own treatment and that's great. Sharing is very important. My panic attacks were gone and the anxiety was gone, but I didn't start really healing until I started sharing. It seemed to bring me out of the isolation I was feeling. I'm sure you have a lot you can offer us in the way of support too.

Many hugs,
MG

Old 10-12-2003, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Big kitty nose hugs

Christina
Welcome! You are no longer alone in your life..we are here and we understand what you are going through.
I just wanted to say that in 1988, I left my abusive husband and went to counseling. The thing that really stuck for me was something that my counselor said. She said to build your self esteem, try to do only the things that will help you feel good about yourself. This has worked so very well for me over the years, I know that I am a good person. (even if im not sure where I put the new toothpaste ) I do know this.
Oh there are alot of cat lovers around here!! I am one of them.I have 2 cats and I too love them dearly. They are spoiled rotten.
Oh I wish you all the luck in the world on your writing..i have thought of doing this also..but cannot seem to know where to begin? Or how to go about it..maybe will look into it someday soon.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Gift Of Encouragement

Hi Christina I too suffer from ptsd and chronic depression that I self medicated for years since I was 12 years old my father was very verbally,emotionally,and physically abusive not trusting was my middle name. As a man 40 years old now I am just begining to be able to trust and to have some healthy relationships my mariage still suffers of course I married an alcoholic and of course she knows all the buttons to push to recreate the anger and resentment but I am working on alternatives that have given me some peace I dont let the past dictate my life any longer and that is a huge step for me I am glad your here........hope you keep comming back.............Steve
Old 10-25-2003, 12:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Christina!
You are definately not alone here. I too suffer from PTSD and depression. Mine is due to an extremely abusive marriage that lasted 7 years. I have found alot of peace and comfort here. It really does help to share and vent out anger. At first it was hard to believe that anyone would truly understand what I was going through. Then I started to meet others that have suffered the same way I have.

Thanks for sharing and I hope you'll keep coming back.

~2many