View Single Post
Old 10-11-2003, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catlady71
Paused

New member - short intro

Hello all,
first of all I would like to say that I'm very glad to have found this board ! I've always been a writer - now trying to become a professional one - and I think sharing experiences is very helpful, at least it is to me.
My name is Christina, I'm a 32 year-old woman living in Belgium. I am long-time divorced and have had other significant traumatic relationships. I have no children, but I do have four cats, my best friends .
I was until recently working as a secretary, but I quit my job in order to finally start studying again ! I am studying psychology.

I have been diagnosed with severe chronic depression and PTSD a few months ago, but it has been going on for many years already, unrecognized. Even I only recognized my depression a few months ago.
I am on a lot of medication (SSRI anti-depressant, Lormetazepam Bromazepam and a few painkillers). I'm also seeing a great therapist, twice a week.

The events that triggered my depression and PTSD are, as far as I can tell : continued emotional abuse during childhood, verbal, emotional and physical abuse during my 3-year marriage, spousal rape. There are other factors too but these are the most important ones.

I am working on a short version of my life story and on a "recovery" story - although I just started to recover. My psychological problems have affected my life insofar that I cannot maintain or even start a healthy relationship with a man. I have symptoms of codependency but most of all I don't trust anyone. My self-esteem is zero (except professionally). So I guess I still have a long way to go, and I hope posting and reading on the board will help me.

Thanks for reading,
Christina.