Notices

Angry with God

Old 06-07-2010, 02:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry with God

Being angry at God is something that many people have wrestled with throughout time. When something tragic happens in our lives, we ask God the question, “Why?”

Even the Carpenter, while on the Cross is said to have cried out "Father, why have you forsaken me"?

Is it possible however, to be upset when God's plans do not match our own? Are we being selfish?

Or are we growing?

In any close intimate relationship do we ever get upset with one another?

instead of being a sign of disbelief or disrespect,it can be a step towards a deeper, more fulfilling and trusting relationship with God. It can be a sign that we are ready to involve God more actively in our daily activities, to dialogue with God on a more personal basis and even follow His guidance in our life. Thus, contrary to popular belief, anger towards God can be a positive sign of the potential personal relationship with Him, as opposed to anger being a sign of disbelief in or denial of God. Think about it, how many of us who claimed to be Athiest or Agnostic were in reality just angry at God.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My understanding of God is that if I am angry with Him, I don't quite know Him yet, I've got to go back and get a new understanding .

Free will is a powerful thing. Not as powerful as God? So how do we balance that out? This gift of free will? It was the free will of man that put Jesus on the cross. God didn't do that, Jesus is His son! You might think God would be pretty p1ssed off about that... Yet He loves us unconditionally?

Sometimes I might seem to be a bible thumper, not that it's a bad thing... It's just that Christianity is the map that I'm following to God and I like a good discussion. Thanx Steve.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If i believe that god is all powerful, all knowing, and all that stuff...then god is the top resentment on my 4th step....maybe even the only resentment if I truely believe god is everything.

I'm hoping the steps will clear away that resentment. I believe that is perhaps the purpose of the steps..to clear away that which blocks me from "god".

I've always wondered how someone could really believe in god and not have a resentment...unless they are a saint...

it baffles me.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by navysteve View Post
Thus, contrary to popular belief, anger towards God can be a positive sign of the potential personal relationship with Him, as opposed to anger being a sign of disbelief in or denial of God. Think about it, how many of us who claimed to be Athiest or Agnostic were in reality just angry at God.
Anger "towards" anything can only be originally felt from a defensive or offensive stance. Their is nothing redeeming about anger in personal intimate loving relationships. Anger is very useful in relationships that are wrecked, destroyed, and faithless. In relationships with victims and abusers. In relationships that live in hell. Yup.

Not sure what your point here is Steve. Help me out. Im missing the heart and guts of what you're saying maybe?

Anger itself is a normal healthy feeling. Sure thing. Going from there though and saying having it "towards" whoever is a positive sign of things going good with God or whoever is kinda wishful thinking and all chock-full of justifications.

Righteous anger is also a good thing, but not used towards anyone in an intimate relationship for the sake of having a better love within that relationship. Nope.

My opinion. Yours is different. No problem.

Regards,
Rob
Old 06-07-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Smile

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
If i believe that god is all powerful, all knowing, and all that stuff...then god is the top resentment on my 4th step....maybe even the only resentment if I truely believe god is everything.

I'm hoping the steps will clear away that resentment. I believe that is perhaps the purpose of the steps..to clear away that which blocks me from "god".

I've always wondered how someone could really believe in god and not have a resentment...unless they are a saint...

it baffles me.
Not having resentments against God is the impossible dream. We're only human. We do better to face the truth of our limitations and from that acceptance desire progress before perfection in all that we do and get on with our lives.

God understands our resentments. He also perceives how we honestly truthfully manage those resentments. Owning resentments with God is not the problem. Uselessly nourishing those resentments, thats a problem. He can see the differences, and likewise so must we if we want to truly progress. Its not more difficult than that for me.

Just my experience.

Rob
Old 06-07-2010, 06:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
My understanding of God is that if I am angry with Him, I don't quite know Him yet, I've got to go back and get a new understanding .

Free will is a powerful thing. Not as powerful as God? So how do we balance that out? This gift of free will? It was the free will of man that put Jesus on the cross. God didn't do that, Jesus is His son! You might think God would be pretty p1ssed off about that... Yet He loves us unconditionally?
The thing about freewill for me is not that it is a powerful thing. Freewill for me itself is absolutely unpowerful as any force at all. Having freewill is nothing more than having an unlimited freedom of choices with no conditions against those choices. Including any conditions from God. heh heh. Responsibilities and consequences, yes. Conditions, no.

To give freewill its own power would be to then have conditions on that power, such as you questioned above "not as powerful as God?"

God allows unconditional freewill. That is what put His son on a cross, not power. Unconditional love hung [killed] Him on the tree.

Hmmm. Just saying.

Warmly,
Rob
Old 06-07-2010, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Anger itself is a normal healthy feeling.
Anger is a normal and healthy feeling is my point exactly. So, in a normal, healthy relationship some anger can be expected. We talk about having a personal relationship with a God of our understanding, then at times, anger can be a part of that.

Anger is not resentment even though resentment stems from anger.

A resentment towards anyone is unhealthy in my opinion. When I deny my anger I run the risk of breeding a resentment.

You answered this by referring to the steps. They will free you, just not as quick as Vodka.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Being angry at God is something that many people have wrestled with throughout time. When something tragic happens in our lives, we ask God the question, “Why?”

Even the Carpenter, while on the Cross is said to have cried out "Father, why have you forsaken me"?

Is it possible however, to be upset when God's plans do not match our own? Are we being selfish?

Or are we growing?

In any close intimate relationship do we ever get upset with one another?

instead of being a sign of disbelief or disrespect,it can be a step towards a deeper, more fulfilling and trusting relationship with God. It can be a sign that we are ready to involve God more actively in our daily activities, to dialogue with God on a more personal basis and even follow His guidance in our life. Thus, contrary to popular belief, anger towards God can be a positive sign of the potential personal relationship with Him, as opposed to anger being a sign of disbelief in or denial of God. Think about it, how many of us who claimed to be Athiest or Agnostic were in reality just angry at God.
I can appreciate this thought, and I have to believe God does too. Psalm 73 demonstrates there is more truth in an honest complaint than a false declaration of praise.

Read the book of Job, and then replace the name "Job" with AMLSurvivor. This will give you a fairly accurate assessment of the reasons I should be angry with God. Everything I've worked for my entire life is gone. I've nearly died, and nearly lost my family.

I think being angry with God for a time is being honest with God. God knows our hearts regardless, so whether we verbally acknowledge our anger really doesn't matter. Everything I've worked for my entire life was a gift from God for a time, but the wealth of God is not in this life. Its in that moment when death is somewhat certain that I realized that I had no control of my life to begin with. Control is an illusion that we fool our selfish pride with. The only control I have is what I think and what I say.

I agree with your assessment.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Anger is a normal and healthy feeling is my point exactly. So, in a normal, healthy relationship some anger can be expected. We talk about having a personal relationship with a God of our understanding, then at times, anger can be a part of that.

Anger is not resentment even though resentment stems from anger.

A resentment towards anyone is unhealthy in my opinion. When I deny my anger I run the risk of breeding a resentment.
Having anger is one thing. Having it towards whatever and whoever is another thing all together. Expecting anger in a normal relationship makes sense, yes, because we natually possess anger. But saying that the direction of that anger is not important either way is a problem for me.

Anger is not a resentment is clear. Resentments do attempt to control anger though so for sure struggle will be created with anger becoming a destructive force when mixed with resentments. A slippery slope indeed.

I'm not an idealist, Steve. I hear you though, i just don't agree with your thinking about anger, thanks for the explanations.

Rob
Old 06-07-2010, 07:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by AMLSurvivor View Post
Read the book of Job, and then replace the name "Job" with AMLSurvivor. This will give you a fairly accurate assessment of the reasons I should be angry with God. Everything I've worked for my entire life is gone. I've nearly died, and nearly lost my family.
Job had righteous anger with God. He also had no resentments against his faith with God while he held being angry with God. Not an easy thing to do. God rewarded Job because anger and resentments and faith were not the issue. Justice was the issue.

Resentments and anger are like a hand-in-glove combo. Justifying anger is a slippery slope.

Rob
Old 06-07-2010, 07:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I don't know that I get "angry" at God but I do get disappointed and/or anxious with Him.

For me so far, it's been pretty much 100% rooted in my inability to get God to do what I want, when I want it, and the way I want Him to do it (aka: CONTROL - or lack thereof) + not having enough faith YET to really trust Him 100%. That goes for things that are happening (or not happening) now and occasionally for things that happened/didn't happen in the past.

Regarding the past stuff that did or didn't happen the way I wanted it go go, given enough time, I usually discover that I was lucky (blessed) that they happened the way they did. That understanding usually helps me not get too uptight with the stuff that's goin' on now but it's still the path of least resistance for me (just beginning yr 4) to go back to anxiety and fear.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

just don't agree with your thinking about anger, thanks for the explanations.
No sweat Robot man! Thank God we can disagree gracefully
Old 06-07-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

For me so far, it's been pretty much 100% rooted in my inability to get God to do what I want, when I want it, and the way I want Him to do it (aka: CONTROL - or lack thereof) + not having enough faith YET to really trust Him 100%. That goes for things that are happening (or not happening) now and occasionally for things that happened/didn't happen in the past.
Anger is not always about control. Sometimes it is about not understanding. I think that when it comes to something as intangible as an idea of God, this is more the case. I am far from thinking God should do anything my way, but I do not always understand the happenings around me, and I am not a sheep so I do not always walk blindly and passively. That does not mean I fight God, or his will. But he gave me a brain and I like to stretch it
Old 06-07-2010, 08:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Do i get angry with god?......sure
Same as the anger i have for my mother at times.......shallow and short lived..

i spent all my childhood angry with god....all rooted in fear.

he was also in my 4.......for not protecting me in a situation when i was vunerable..

Anger with god is a normal heathly reaction in difficult times imo....as long as i promptly admit my mistakes as well.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Job had righteous anger with God. He also had no resentments against his faith with God while he held being angry with God. Not an easy thing to do. God rewarded Job because anger and resentments and faith were not the issue. Justice was the issue.

Resentments and anger are like a hand-in-glove combo. Justifying anger is a slippery slope.

Rob
Agree. I am not angry with God, but when I see others equally deserving living a plush cushy life it occurs to me that there is injustice on Earth. Of course, there is, because we live in a fallen world. I am not righteous by deed, but by faith.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

No one caused my Alcoholism, but me; why would I ever be mad at a Power that restores me to sanity?
Old 06-07-2010, 04:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Being a bullheaded alcoholic sometimes, I don't like the lessons my HP teaches me, or I don't like the school part of it. What the steps have done to me is open the conscious channel to the power so wide, so clear, that it is impossible for me to shut it off. I've looked for the off switch, can't find it. It's too powerful. On the other hand the same power is ALWAYS there and it works every time, as long as I try to live my life as GOD would want me to live it.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

In my endeavor to understand God ( we even have step dedicated to increasing our understanding of Him) I have at times become frustrated. That frustration has manifested itself in a few ways, anger being among them. The Bigbook says something very important-

THERE IS ONE WHO HAS ALL POWER!

So- when the child does not get to grow up because Mom and Dad neglected them and they met an untimely end, the one who has ALL power- God- allowed us to feel the repercussions of our actions. I call that tough love.

I don't always like it though. When I see wrong going on, I get involved, the path I have walked in AA has shown me to become that type of person. I am not absent in life today and have the resume' to show it!

That does not mean I am playing God at all- honest dissension among the ranks is not something to fear ( and I know he doesn't fear me). Spiritual growth is a process. I cannot claim to know why God does things yet, and admit that I still wrestle with a few things regarding stuff. I keep seeking, because this is what works.

When I first started to feel anger in AA I tried to shove it down into a dark place ( anger is luxury of others right??? It says so in the 12 and 12 therefore it must be true???)
I have learned that my emotions are God given and serve a purpose if directed properly. If this is true with love, it must also be true with other emotions.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

i'm working my way through this, i think sucessfully, but i have not accepted that there is a "god" that is "all powerful" by nature. If he is bound by free will...he can still be a higher power.

Mostly today it just makes me sad that there wasn't a power that could stop bad things from happening to innocent people, people who were just there. And i do mean TODAY...tomarrow i might be angry again

Although I would speak of Karma, the law of cause and effect; and of the buddha nature, a power striving for completeness....It is similar to what others struggle with in free will vs gods will.

The big book says i have to find a power greater than myself "that makes sense to me"....

Anyway...probably off topic...and God will still be the top thing on my resentment list..cause honesty is the only way out regardless of others opinions of me, i must be as truthful as i am capable of.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
i'm working my way through this, i think sucessfully, but i have not accepted that there is a "god" that is "all powerful" by nature. If he is bound by free will...he can still be a higher power.

Mostly today it just makes me sad that there wasn't a power that could stop bad things from happening to innocent people, people who were just there. And i do mean TODAY...tomarrow i might be angry again

Although I would speak of Karma, the law of cause and effect; and of the buddha nature, a power striving for completeness....It is similar to what others struggle with in free will vs gods will.

The big book says i have to find a power greater than myself "that makes sense to me"....

Anyway...probably off topic...and God will still be the top thing on my resentment list..cause honesty is the only way out regardless of others opinions of me, i must be as truthful as i am capable of.
Ananda,

Nobody can provide "belief" for you. The age old theological / philosophical question of, "If there is a loving / all-powerful God, then why do bad things happen to good people?" is one that can only be reasoned from within yourself. My reasons for belief won't meet your expectation because ultimately you'd wonder whether I embellish the truth or that I am just plain wrong.

I see that there are three possibilities. One - that there is an intelligent deity and there is purpose and reason in our lives, two - random chance favored our existence, three - natural selection - humans evolved to the highest species through adaption.

May I ask which you ascribe to? Maybe you have a fourth or fifth possibility?