Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Question: How many have maintained sobriety without F2F meetings?

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 05:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have never gone to an AA meeting. Standing in front of a group and announcing I am an alcoholic is more than I can imaging doing. I did go to one Women for Sobriety meeting but it ended up just being me and the leader. It was uncomfortable and I never went back.

I am just curious how many here have been successful maintaining sobriety without meetings.

(note, after being on this site for a while I am now considering getting a copy of The Big Book. The program has obviously worked for many of you)

Tks, SD
Old 01-06-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi snowdog

I go to private alcohol counselling one on one which is a bit easier?! Pay cash and it doesnt go on any records either! Not been to AA yet though.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have to go to meetings, they have become a big part o fmy life
great your getting the big book,
so much in there, happy reading!

PS is you go to an AA meeting you can get the big book cheap there....worth going to one meeting. it is under 10 bucks at a meeting...
Old 01-06-2009, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't go to meetings, but I do see the value of AA for many people.

I have been coming here every day for years, and I am always inspired with the hope and the love that I find here.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I don't go to meetings, I am in individual counseling. My psychologist just recommended the book "how to quit drinking without AA", I haven't picked it up yet.

He also told me last night that the success rate for AA is 12%, and that a majority of people quit drinking without AA. I don't have a source for this, I'm taking it w/ a grain of salt (AA people don't bash on me, I'm just repeating what my therapist said, and he is an AA proponent for anyone who feels that is what they want/need).

I did go to a few meetings, and based my decision on experience instead of ignorance. Try it, for those of whom it's worked for, well.. it's worked! Can't hurt

Oh, and regarding the "standing in front of the group admitting you're an alcoholic thing.. everyone in the room does it, you'd likely feel weird if you DIDN'T say it, they already know, and they fully expect to hear it, and it's totally normal. I kind of freaked the first time, but after that, it was easy.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I went to meetings for about a month but haven't been since the beginning of October. And FWIW, not once did I have to introduce myself as an alcoholic. Lots of people didn't (and no one had to stand up in front of everyone else). All you had to do was admit a desire to stop drinking. So, people would say things like, "Hi, I'm <so-and-so> and I have a drinking problem" or "I have the desire to stop drinking." One guy (who seemed to have a pretty decent sense of humor, and a firm grasp of himself and his situation) always introduced himself by saying, "Hi. I'm still Frank, and I'm still a drunk." It always made everyone chuckle.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't go to meetings, but I am working on behavior modification and pervasive cognitive changes with my family, friends, fellow recovering addicts and on this board. It's just what I need, right now. I've attended meetings, and it wasn't for me.

Nothing bad intended towards those it works for; I'm just not one of them. I had to stop thinking and acting like an addict, and I will always have to.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Good question, snowdog, and welcome!

After killing myself with alcohol for 30 years, I am proud to say I have 6+ months sobriety. I don't go to meetings. I come to SR.

And FWIW, I will NEVER drink again. Ever. The thought of going back to what I was, makes me sick.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I use SR as well - although it may not be enough for everyone, it works for me - going on 2 years now. It's not the easiest road being your own wagonmaster tho.

TSH makes a good point tho - as far as I know, there's no complusion to do anything at an AA meeting?

D
Old 01-06-2009, 09:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

AA meetings are nothing like what you see on TV or the movies. I have never seen a podium at an AA meeting (they always have them on TV AA meetings), and you never have to say a word if you don't want to.

Here is a great link on what to expect in your first AA meeting, it is very accurate and should be a "must read" before attending IMHO:

Your First AA Meeting
Old 01-06-2009, 10:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Djillz- thanks for the link! Very helpful!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
AA meetings are nothing like what you see on TV or the movies. I have never seen a podium at an AA meeting (they always have them on TV AA meetings)
OMDK, I had never been to one like you see on TV either, until... a few weeks ago I went to one that was spot on, podium and all. It was so stereotypical, I had to stop myself from giggling for about half of the meeting.

Snowdog, I go to some meetings, but I don't feel like they make or break my sobriety. Actually, I like f2f meetings.. it's the HP concept and material like the Big Book that I find distasteful, otherwise I would probably attend more regularly.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

I've been to a few f2f meeting and never had to stand up and announce myself. I have a therapist a gp and have done DBT therapy. I also post here and on a few other boards I've found great support in doing so.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I personally have stayed sober for longer periods (and was in a better state of mind too) when I didn't go to meetings. A.A. is not for everyone, but I'd recommend giving it a try. Maybe try some of the other ones too (Life Ring, Smart Recovery, etc.).
Tomorrow I start seeing a private counselor, so in addition to SR, I'm hoping that will be of help also.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I kept quitting for fifteen years using every method imaginable. In that time, I visited (didn't stick around) AA three times. It was only after I exhausted every other avenue that I went back to AA and stayed sober.

And, for the record, I've been to many meetings with podiums, but no meetings that "felt" like the ones I've seen on t.v.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-07-2009, 06:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I went to AA very early on but now only go to my home group meeting once a week. I come here often, several times a day or whenever I feel the need, and I see an addiction counselor once a week and she has been very helpful in every aspect of my mental health.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Again, thanks all! Classical- congrats on 27 days. I can't wait until I have that much time under my belt.

The other thing that worries me about meetings is I think we bring into our lives that which we focus on. I don't want alcohol to be the focus of my life any more. Frankly, I still can't believe it somehow became the driving force in my life. I have a problem with alcohol, that is part of who I am, but not who/what I am. I think for me personally going to meetings would put the focus on talk, talk, talking about our problem. I like coming here, checking the success stories (the relapse posts scare me!) and then getting on with my day. Sans alcohol! LOL. Based on the feedback so far, there is clearly no 'one' way to get and stay sober!

Love to ya all!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

I have been to some AA meetings, although alcohol has not been my DOC. I have not worked the steps or done the 90 meetings in 90 days. I have found AA to be useful as a part of my sober lifestyle, however, other means helpful as well. This forum, other recovery sites and literature, combined AA principle has been good so far.

I did go to a meeting and got a 30 day chip last night. The support for me was great, and people who I know in AA showed up to cheer me on.

What I have noticed about AA is this: it is more than about just getting and staying sober. Sure, staying sober is the fundamental goal of AA, but after this sobriety is achieved day by day, AA encourages a change to a lifestyle that accomodates this sobriety.

I think this is what AA is about- growth as a person to stay sober. This is done by changing the way one percieves things, and treats the alcohol abuse as a symptom of a bigger problem, which is what AA addresses. It has spiritual components, many of which I have found highly useful in my changing lifestyle and spirituality.

Also, I have to add that the higher power concept I do understand, but I cannot be as dogmatic about it as others. I understand that there is a higher power than ourselves, that is the way of the universe. It does put things into perspective, and it is comforting to know that a greater force dictates everything, whether it is seen as God, the universe, or whatever. A "higher power than ourselves" does put tings in perspective.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by LaDita View Post
Maybe try some of the other ones too (Life Ring, Smart Recovery, etc.).
I was able to go to a couple of LifeRing Secular Recovery meetings when I was visiting family in the Bay Area several years ago, and they were like home. I wish they were more widely available.

Tomorrow I start seeing a private counselor, so in addition to SR, I'm hoping that will be of help also.
I've been seeing a social worker since I quit this time around and it has been very helpful. She helps me with addiction, OCD, emotional issues, living issues, etc., and I feel a certain amount of accountability towards her since she is going to bat for me, which I think helps as well.