Notices

Doc appt tomorrow, need some wisdom

Old 11-18-2008, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Doc appt tomorrow, need some wisdom

Right, off to doc tomorrow morning about my back pain, and going to be (I hope) straight up about the codeine thing.

I'm pretty sure I can turn down a codeine script coz I know the darn things aren't going to be working in two weeks time anyway.

What I am really afraid of is that she will offer me something stronger in the opiate/opioid line. I scared I won't say no to that.

Now, I know there are a lot of people on this forum a damn sight cleverer than me that have not been able to control the whole opiate thing, and that is the thought I am holding onto. If you got into trouble, I'm going to land up in bigger trouble.

I hope that's enough to stop me doing something silly. Doctors here are pretty pushed for time (10mins / patient) and they can be a bit liberal with painkillers and antidepressants to get rid of you.

If anyone has any advice on this, I would really appreciate it. Thanx!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I don't have any wisdom except to thine own self, be true. If you really want to be free of active addiction, then it's probably going to mean redefining what you consider to be "acceptable pain."

If you tell a doctor that you do not want narcotic pain relief, he or she will have to weigh time constraints with the Hippocratic oath. To give narcotics to an addict because it's the easier, faster way to get rid of her is not in line with the vow to "do no harm." I would suggest, at the get-go, explaining that you're in pain but that you're an addict and can't take narcotics. That gets it on the table and hopefully leaves 9 1/2 minutes to discuss alternatives! (It also heads off any temptation to keep mum and justify later)

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

Let your first words out of your mouth be "nothing narcotic" and it's over and done with.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stubborn1 View Post
Let your first words out of your mouth be "nothing narcotic" and it's over and done with.

Lost--I agree with both posts on here. You need to be upfront and say no narcotics--including ultram/tramadol-these are addictive as well though many say they are not. You can do it girl! it will be one of the hardest things you can say, but I guarentee you there will be some level of relief for having been truthful--the truth being something addicts may not be very familiar with. Let us know how it goes!!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am up front with all my doctors (I have a primary care doc, dentist and a rheumatologist) and say "nothing addictive...and absolutely no narcotics for me I'm a recovering addict."

The only exception to this rule would be if Im put in the hospital and under direct supervision and monitored with a medically deemed necessary reason to be given narcotics. And even then I would insist on being removed from this type of treatment as soon as possible and certainly before I leave the hospital. My family, friends and NA sponsor knows all this too and would insist I be treated this way if I'm not conscious to make that call.

If you are serious about recovery you will tell the doctor first thing....I agree with in the first 30 seconds and having the other 9 1/2 to discuss it!

Best wishes,
Missybuns
Old 11-18-2008, 11:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

How about requesting a referral to some kind of physical therapy?
Old 11-19-2008, 03:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Done it! I pretended I was talking in AA, since that is the time I am honest with people. Just said it like it is. She had a bit of a fit about the amount of ibuprofen I was taking but was quite calm about the codeine.

Referred for physio. Now it's on my NHS records and will be with me for life. But curiously, I do feel better for having done it. Let's hope I never need real pain relief!
Old 11-19-2008, 03:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's very liberating, isn't it? Try not to worry about when the time comes and you need stronger pain relief. I worried for a long time. Now I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I didn't expect it - but it has taken a weight off. I think just admitting it to someone and also I've closed off that avenue of abuse! And it was nice not to be trying to manipulate someone.

She was so sweet - she said she thought people who got addicted to stuff were maybe more sensitive than other people to the stresses in life. She didn't make me feel like an idiot for getting myself in that situation.

BTW - if we still had a thanx button, I would have used it for all the replies altho I didn't see them till today, as the forum was down till my bed time!!

Last edited by lostbutterfly; 11-19-2008 at 05:04 AM. Reason: to say thanx.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by Stubborn1 View Post
Yep. First thing you say is "Don't give me any narcotic medication because I like it too much".
Old 11-19-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Yep, got it in first thing. Not many prescribed narcotics coming my way in the future. I'll go make a cup of tea instead, lol!!
Old 11-19-2008, 07:19 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Mmmmmmm, iced tea !!
Old 11-19-2008, 07:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow - I find it so crazy how easy people in the US and UK can get opiates and strong pain killers! In Canada doctors do everything in their power NOT to give you those types of meds.

I threw my back out to the point of being immobile for 2 weeks a year and a half ago and when I went to the ER they pretty much said Ibuprofen, Tylenol and rest.

Fell down icy cement stairs last winter and again, back problems, immobile again and same thing. This time they said "we could give you an opiate but it will just make you sluggish and that won't help your back heal".. or something along those lines.

Sorry to interrupt - it just blows me away how easy these drugs are to obtain in other countries! - - - or maybe my tattoos and piercings send alarm bells off! lol!

Edge2007
Old 11-19-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

First of all, congratulations Lost!!! You have completely made the commitment to live a drug free life. Did you feel a little sad? Like you knew you wouldn't be able to play with your best friend anymore? When I was first trying to seek the Suboxone treatment here I had to go to so many docs just to get a referral for a psych. and I was so sad then because now whenever I go in for anything they will know. But, to not tell them is only hurting yourself in the end. Like the others said, the narcotics do not help you heal, they just numb you so u don't feel so much of the pain. Now you just have to get working on finding another method of pain relief that works for you, maybe yoga, physical therapy, hydro therapy,etc. try them and see what helps! There's always another way. I am so proud of you for sticking it through, the easiest part is to not say anything but you did it!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good for you. I can hear and feel your relief.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
Mmmmmmm, iced tea !!
Not that stuff windy. Nice and hot with a spot of milk, for goodness sake. Did we not teach you anything while we were over there??? You know, before Independance Day?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Originally Posted by madriley View Post
First of all, congratulations Lost!!! You have completely made the commitment to live a drug free life. Did you feel a little sad? Like you knew you wouldn't be able to play with your best friend anymore? When I was first trying to seek the Suboxone treatment here I had to go to so many docs just to get a referral for a psych. and I was so sad then because now whenever I go in for anything they will know. But, to not tell them is only hurting yourself in the end. Like the others said, the narcotics do not help you heal, they just numb you so u don't feel so much of the pain.
I feel sad sometimes, like the lyrics in my signature! Such a shame to have to part.

I can take codeine anytime - I can buy it otc here 400mg at a time. My only restriction is money, pharmacies, time and how much ibuprofen I can handle before I burn a hole in my stomach!!!

But I have cut off my legal path to anything stronger and I don't really want to mess with dealers. Buying ecstacy was fine, but I remember some lovely experiences when my ex b/f was a H addict, and they let him get into debt with them. Not such a nice crowd to owe money to!
Old 11-19-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nice job at the doctor, I worry about pain too. If I really got hurt bad I would have to have the stong meds. I have very little tolerance for pain. Hopefully I would take them for the few days and then stop (yeah right) !