Notices

detox

Old 11-12-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

detox

i am detoxing off heroin for the second time and it seems worse then the first time. im doing it cold turkey and im in sooo much pain..what to do??
Old 11-12-2008, 06:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey jessy, my drug of choice was Oxycontin which I believe has a lot of the same ingredients as heroin but not exactly the same. I did do heroin when I couldn't get my drug but never really took to it. So from my personal experience of trying to get off of the Oxy's on my own about 6 times at least over the last 10 years, I never made it. The physical pain with the mental anguish was just too much for me to bear.

However, I was able to get off of Oxy's by getting on a Suboxone program. I don't if this is something you are aware of or not but I don't think I would even be off of them now if I hadn't gotten into that program 2 years ago. Treatment centers offer the Suboxone program usually you pay like $25.00 a day and you go each morning and get dosed then go on with your day like normal. If you have insurance you may be able to find a licensed doc in your area who will accept your insurance at least for part of the fee. If you go to a doc who doesn't take insurance it's like $465.00 for the first visit and then $125.00 each week after that plus the script is like $90.00 a week. Expensive, but as expensive as the drug habit? Totally worth it!!!

I hope this might be an option for you. How long have you been on heroin for? Do you snort or shoot it? If you do not have the choice of getting on subs or maybe Methadone (I don't recommend Methadone, that is what I am coming off of now) then you should definetely get checked out maybe daily or every other day by your doc. I know if you go to the emergency room for drug withdrawals they either have to keep you or they can transfer you to a detox center.

You are in the place, heading in the right direction. Just don't turn off of the road yet. Getting clean is the hardest thing we will ever do in our lives but think about the rest of your life and how much better it will be clean. It is so worth it, isn't it?
Good luck and God bless!! :praying
Old 11-12-2008, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the boards, Jessy!

How long you been on the stuff, altogether in your life? How much are you coming off of?

And just for clarification, prices for bupe (aka subs) doctors vary dramatically from place to place, you really have to call around for the best prices.

When I started with my doc, back in 2004, I paid $150 for the first visit, and then $85 each time thereafter. And this guy was a major pro, having co-owned and operated a drug treatment center for ten years. And he was in San Ramon, CA, which is far from a 'low rent zone'.

Anyways, for the first couple months, I had to come in every 3 weeks, as he was giving me 3x8mg pills a day in my script, and he didn't like to RX more than 60 pills at a time. But after the first couple months, once I got my dosage down to 2x8mg/day, I was able to come in once a month.

And there was never any 'drug testing' or any of that nonsense involved with my doctor. He did only take cash, or PPO's though for insurance, no HMO's.

The pills are about $7-8 a piece, and it typically doesn't take that long to wean down to one pill a day, no matter how big your habit was to start with. Takes couple months, tops, if you 'apply yourself'.

I think it's probably worth it, in your search, to find a doctor in a nice part of town, I think they treat people better, myself. And when you go in, present yourself as a 'serious person', show up on time, stick to your bupe schedule like you're supposed to, dress decently, that sort of thing. Little things like this will make it so they'll trust you more, and give you more bupe in each script, so you won't have to come in as often and spend as much of your money.

But, as I say, these prices and the doctors policies vary DRASTICALLY from place to place.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Try, try, try again!

Yes, you should try suboxone. The great thing about it is that you feel like you did before you started with opiates. You feel normal. The prob I had with the suboxone was that I'd feel better physically so I would assume I was cured. I never went to N.A or anything and I ALWAYS ended up using again.

Be careful with the methadone clinics. Methadone ended up my DOC. The suboxone is good because you cant get high on it.

Wishing you the best of luck!
Old 11-12-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

im 21 and i used for 6 months straight like $100-$150 a day. i went to this place called narconon and "graduated" the program. it was not a 12 step program. after i left rehab i was sober for 4-5 months and recently relapsed. i have been using for 3 months. the rehab i went to did not believe in detoxing medically. so i felt the whole thing. but this time i feel alot worse detoxing. im on day 2, tonight is gonna be horrible. i decided to go to a hospital to detox and then to an inpatient facility. im hurting all over so not feeling for the next two days will be wonderful. i dont wanna get on methadone because i heard it was harder to detox from then heroin. and i dont have insurence so going to see a doctor would be super expensive. at least im under care right??
Old 11-12-2008, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

jessy, I detoxed, partially or fully, many times over the years. In my experience, it got worse each time. Everybody's different, but if you've been using three months this time, you'll probably be through the worst of it in 3-5 days, then feel yucky for awhile after that. Maybe now is the time to try meetings?

Peace & Love,
Sugah