The resourceful of our addicts

Old 09-29-2007, 11:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The resourceful of our addicts

I talked to my daughter today and she asked me to send her the pparx prescription forms so that she can get help getting her asthma medications. In the meantime she has found someone willing to sell her a few Singulair pills and also let her buy an inhaler. She told me that she had a kidney infection a couple of weeks ago and got an antibiotic from someone. Even though it worries me that she is using other people's prescriptions, it never fails to amaze me that she can find so many contacts for things that she needs. Now if she would just find it in her to "need" rehab Hugs, Marle
Old 09-29-2007, 11:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((((Marle))) I agree. They are very resourceful sometimes. You can almost sit back and laugh at some of the stuff they can come up with. Makes you wonder what the heck...they are pretty smart when they need to be and really off base on other things. My stepson came pull a few things too. I listen ...half way.

Have a great day!!!
-Broken
Old 09-29-2007, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
StrivingToThrive

My AS asked me to have his Childhood doctor down here send some of his medical records to him including his broken foot x-rays. He said he is trying to get a medical marijuana license in oregon. I guess its a little harder to get there then it is in California. ( I actually laughed at first, because I couldn't believe he would ask, then I said NO, he's on his own, and that it was too bad for real patients, that he is abusing the system. In california, he just used a bogus ADHD and stress diagnosis from a real MD mind you, and he got a Medicinal Marijuana license. I guess its not good enough for Oregon laws(?). In Ca. it kept him out of jail a few times. He can carry a decent amount on him and at his home he can grow plants. ( not my home )This makes me sad, because I have read research where it can be affective for REAL conditions, too bad these addicts know how to abuse it. If they would only put this intelligence and resourcefulness in to something that will help them!
Old 09-29-2007, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yup, can't afford the $125 a month for asthma meds but she keeps popping the vics, percs and oxys which are making her asthma worse. Kidney problems from too many opiates but like she told me she could die of an overdose or kidney infection so take your pick. She said it tongue in cheek and with a bit of a giggle. I had to laugh too at the insanity Hugs, Marle
Old 09-29-2007, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is somewhat humorous NOW but wasn't then..
When I was really sick myself with HIS addiction.. I found myself hiding his shoes, keys, no money..
He still managed to score. barefoot, no car, no money.. when trying to get clean he would beg, yell, blame and manipulate me to drive him to a meeting 2 miles away! It use to really make me curious how he could find the means to score but couldn't find means to stay clean?
Old 09-29-2007, 01:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Can get alcohol with no money in your pocket!

Hi Everyone,

My son called me once when he had an accident while drunk on his bicycle. He said "Mom I didn't have any money so how did I get drunk." I told him that if he had friends that he drank with....he certainly could get drunk without money.

He ran into a cement post around a fire hydrant and cut open his thigh. Lots of staples & stiches. I told him I wasn't sending anymore money in my letters to him. He would just have to manage all on his own....did have SSI at the time. He got kicked out of where he was renting due to his drinking. And he was renting from an alcoholic in recovery...so he understood about enabling.

The sad ending to the beginning of his story is that he tried suicide and failed...drove up in the hills drinking and drove over a 150 foot cliff and now is a quadraplegic.

I love my son and tried to help him when he asked and he did go to treatment and counseling but he wasn't ready to go down the right path. He lives in his own home with caregivers coming in to help him. He is a Veteran so gets help from them. He has been back in the VA Hospital in Seattle many times since his wreck. He needed further surgeries on his backside and then had to be in bed 8 weeks or so after each of those surgeries to be sure the surgery site was healed good inside.

He still denies it was a suicide attempt but the police report could tell by the tire tracks and how they went in the gravel just how he drove over the cliff.

kelsh

Last edited by kelsh; 09-29-2007 at 01:57 PM. Reason: used wrong word
Old 09-29-2007, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When I think back to about 3 years ago, when it was snowing here like crazy. No one was on the road, and he wanted me to drive him to his friend's house to sled. I said there's no way I'm driving you anywhere in this. Well, the laziest kid on the planet, put his boots on and walked. And it was a far walk. The only way he would have ever walked that far is for a fix.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

all of this was so tough with my xh......i can't imagine it with one of my children. you who have to endure this with your children.......well, i just can't begin to imagine what it must be like.

the closest i can come to it is that my youngest son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was 15. he was in denial and refused to take care of himself and landed in the hosp. 8 different times in ketoacidosis.....the last time they put him in a medically induced coma, put him on a respirator, and put in a direct line into his heart. it was hell for years. when i joined al-anon, i learned to crawl off of his back and had to accept that he may die someday from not caring for himself.

he did everything you could imagine......he would store false numbers in his glucometer.....he would take his friends blood sugar so it would look normal....he would just the test fluid that comes with the kit to store false numbers.

when he was in ketone acidosis, he would pee on the strip then rinse it off, so it would appear normal.

anyway, that was hell enough........he finally got the message and started to take better care of himself although he still isn't very good at it.....but much better.

i have so much heartfelt sadness for you that have lost adult children out there still trying to live the life they want, but one that may very well cause them much harm.

may god bless each and every one of you

love to all
jeri
Old 09-29-2007, 10:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

If they would only put this intelligence and resourcefulness in to something that will help them! quote by cece

Ain't it the truth?
I can't believe how resourceful my son can get when it has to do with him and his needs. Doing for anyone else is like pulling teeth with him.
Speaking of which, Marle, you mentioned how you hate her taking others' prescriptions? Jason will do the same thing. His gf (36 btw, still can't get over that)
gave him samples of meds that she got from her doctor for her bi-polar disorder.
He's seeing a psychiatrist on Tuesday to tell him about his own bi-polar symptoms, (he's been reading up and has already diagnosed himself, mind you) and was trying out her meds to see if they make him feel any better. WTF?
He sounded stoned last night when we spoke. I give up. lol
Love ya,
Linda
Old 09-30-2007, 04:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

I can recall, before he lived with me, my XABF not having money for his phone bill so the phone got shut, but having money enough to go meet "Frank" under the bridge.

At the time "Frank" was described as his "friend."

When I finally figured out XABF was an addict, I realized "Frank" was his dealer. I am sure the phone bill was a lot less than "Frank's" bill.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

It is pretty amazing, isn't it? They usually can get just what they need.
And, yes, why can't they see they need help?
Old 09-30-2007, 04:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by marle View Post
I talked to my daughter today and she asked me to send her the pparx prescription forms so that she can get help getting her asthma medications. In the meantime she has found someone willing to sell her a few Singulair pills and also let her buy an inhaler. She told me that she had a kidney infection a couple of weeks ago and got an antibiotic from someone. Even though it worries me that she is using other people's prescriptions, it never fails to amaze me that she can find so many contacts for things that she needs. Now if she would just find it in her to "need" rehab Hugs, Marle

Well she has to go to a few doctors for pparx, I wonder if she knows that. It's somewhat easy, but not that easy. Actually, lol, that's how I 'turned' myself in to my therapist finally that I had relapsed on meth, was those pparx forms...

But yea before that I was getting my antidepresants from Craigslist...

It all ended up leading me to the right path, so let's hope this is hers too.

I forget all the routes I took to get me where I am today....
Old 09-30-2007, 04:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by cece View Post
My AS asked me to have his Childhood doctor down here send some of his medical records to him including his broken foot x-rays. He said he is trying to get a medical marijuana license in oregon. I guess its a little harder to get there then it is in California. ( I actually laughed at first, because I couldn't believe he would ask, then I said NO, he's on his own, and that it was too bad for real patients, that he is abusing the system. In california, he just used a bogus ADHD and stress diagnosis from a real MD mind you, and he got a Medicinal Marijuana license. I guess its not good enough for Oregon laws(?). In Ca. it kept him out of jail a few times. He can carry a decent amount on him and at his home he can grow plants. ( not my home )This makes me sad, because I have read research where it can be affective for REAL conditions, too bad these addicts know how to abuse it. If they would only put this intelligence and resourcefulness in to something that will help them!
Oh snap, you can get one here if you sneeze right...
Old 09-30-2007, 04:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by kelsh View Post
Hi Everyone,

My son called me once when he had an accident while drunk on his bicycle. He said "Mom I didn't have any money so how did I get drunk." I told him that if he had friends that he drank with....he certainly could get drunk without money.

He ran into a cement post around a fire hydrant and cut open his thigh. Lots of staples & stiches. I told him I wasn't sending anymore money in my letters to him. He would just have to manage all on his own....did have SSI at the time. He got kicked out of where he was renting due to his drinking. And he was renting from an alcoholic in recovery...so he understood about enabling.

The sad ending to the beginning of his story is that he tried suicide and failed...drove up in the hills drinking and drove over a 150 foot cliff and now is a quadraplegic.
I love my son and tried to help him when he asked and he did go to treatment and counseling but he wasn't ready to go down the right path. He lives in his own home with caregivers coming in to help him. He is a Veteran so gets help from them. He has been back in the VA Hospital in Seattle many times since his wreck. He needed further surgeries on his backside and then had to be in bed 8 weeks or so after each of those surgeries to be sure the surgery site was healed good inside.

He still denies it was a suicide attempt but the police report could tell by the tire tracks and how they went in the gravel just how he drove over the cliff.

kelsh

Oh man, I'm so sorry.. Thanks for sharing your story...
Old 09-30-2007, 05:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Done, Megan says that she has no problem going to the doctor. The problem will be with her filling out the forms. You probably know how drugs adle the brain and make simple tasks seem like climbing a mountain Anyway, since she is buying singulair from her drug buddies, I kind of figure that she is looking for something to trade for her DOC. I know I should not be so cynical, but she has gone almost a year without it and all of a sudden she is in a hurry to get the forms and get the prescription. I don't know if heroin addicts use the singulair to help with heroin induced asthma attacks but recently someone broke into a K-Mart pharmacy and stole a bunch of opiates and singulair. Must be a market for it. Hugs, Marle
Old 09-30-2007, 07:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by marle View Post
Done, Megan says that she has no problem going to the doctor. The problem will be with her filling out the forms. You probably know how drugs adle the brain and make simple tasks seem like climbing a mountain Anyway, since she is buying singulair from her drug buddies, I kind of figure that she is looking for something to trade for her DOC. I know I should not be so cynical, but she has gone almost a year without it and all of a sudden she is in a hurry to get the forms and get the prescription. I don't know if heroin addicts use the singulair to help with heroin induced asthma attacks but recently someone broke into a K-Mart pharmacy and stole a bunch of opiates and singulair. Must be a market for it. Hugs, Marle
The forms that I filled out were as easy as a signature, really...
Maybe it was 'just my time', because I had done the pparx thing several times, lol, and like you said, just never gotten it done, I do really have ADD so I'm already a mess, but drugs made it worse.
All I had to do was type my name and hit print on the ones I needed, my therapist made an apt. w/ a pysch. for me.
They "Were" all the drugs I had been taking for years prior, But....
I was going to Cedars Sinai and my old pysch. had left and I had a new one, and they are ALL good doctors so you don't just "Hand them a form" and say here sign these 19 pages for me.... lol, (which I thought was going to happen)
This lady actually made me talk to her for the whole hour, and this time I didn't lie, it was right after I had found SR, I think I'd been clean for maybe 2 weeks.
So when she asked if I'd done any amphetamines, I was honest, well that pretty much ruined any chances I had of getting ANY of those meds...

They all freaked out on me, and then my therapist found out, blah, blah, blah...

I don't know if i had lied, if it would have been easier, or how easy it would have been, but according to what I remember it looks as easy as them signing a piece of paper.

But I bet if like what you said, if it's a common 'replacement' drug, hopefully they are watching out for things like that....
My doctors were more worried about my electorlytes and my weight and all that stupid stuff, not the drugs, they wanted me in patient for tests and I refused.

I know some of the asthma drugs, and the ones for bronchitis have some good uppers in them, lots of ephedrine in some of them..
But if she's trying to get drugs through doctors now, she's pushing her luck, that still can't be a bad thing..

Yea, amazing the things we'll do hu.
But to an addict, pparx must sound like a dream, I never thought of it like that..
lol... They must have people watching just out for that, don't you think?

I know they do where I get mine.. I'm always paranoid about trying to make sure
I don't ask for anything that could possibly make me look like one...
It's a little ridiculous, I almost have an anxiety attack trying not to look like one.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Marle.
If they can find a way to take care of the high,then they can find a way to get the help they want to get straight. They are very smart people when they want to be.
I think you're suspicions are correct about the singular. It seems I have heard that before. What will they think of next? It never ceases to amaze me.

Hugs...........Lo
Old 11-02-2013, 12:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Created account to answer this

Originally Posted by Wascally Wabbit View Post
It is pretty amazing, isn't it? They usually can get just what they need.
And, yes, why can't they see they need help?
I answered your question after asking myself, why do I continue to live the way I do taking big risks everyday when I've narrowly escaped death or worse multiple times in Situations I chose to put my self in and should have died during.

The odds of surviving things that I have done and been involved in were a billion to one. I'm not religious and I feel like there is an angel watching over me. I'm 21 and both sides of my extended and immediate family have 100% cut me out and disowned me for my lifestyle (which I believe in and I would rather and probably will die for.

The reason is I do what I want to do no matter what the consequences. And the consequences are extreme. Plain and simple. whereas people like you, and the vast majority of people are like you are scared of the consequences and let that fear stop you from doing so. I'm not talking about walking up to the girl you like and asking her out. I'm talking about things that offer the possibility and sometimes probability of getting you locked up or to die or get seriously injured. A real **** it attitude that is the result of years of struggle. You can't understand why we don't stop doing what we do its because it's what we live for.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:39 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Livingfast...this thread is 6 years old and many of the people you are responding to are no longer here.

If you want to quit using drugs, I encourage you to post on Newcomers where others who have been where you are will see your post and support you. This forum is for the family and friends of loved ones who use drugs and you won't find much sympathy for your "chosen lifestyle" here.

I truly wish you luck and recovery, because whether you realize it or not, if you reach out for a better way to live you just might find it.

I am closing this thread as it is so far out of date now and don't want to open a debate.

Ann