View Single Post
Old 09-30-2007, 04:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Done_With_It
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by kelsh View Post
Hi Everyone,

My son called me once when he had an accident while drunk on his bicycle. He said "Mom I didn't have any money so how did I get drunk." I told him that if he had friends that he drank with....he certainly could get drunk without money.

He ran into a cement post around a fire hydrant and cut open his thigh. Lots of staples & stiches. I told him I wasn't sending anymore money in my letters to him. He would just have to manage all on his own....did have SSI at the time. He got kicked out of where he was renting due to his drinking. And he was renting from an alcoholic in recovery...so he understood about enabling.

The sad ending to the beginning of his story is that he tried suicide and failed...drove up in the hills drinking and drove over a 150 foot cliff and now is a quadraplegic.
I love my son and tried to help him when he asked and he did go to treatment and counseling but he wasn't ready to go down the right path. He lives in his own home with caregivers coming in to help him. He is a Veteran so gets help from them. He has been back in the VA Hospital in Seattle many times since his wreck. He needed further surgeries on his backside and then had to be in bed 8 weeks or so after each of those surgeries to be sure the surgery site was healed good inside.

He still denies it was a suicide attempt but the police report could tell by the tire tracks and how they went in the gravel just how he drove over the cliff.

kelsh

Oh man, I'm so sorry.. Thanks for sharing your story...