Notices

Is this normal - withdrawl or anxiety

Old 08-22-2013, 04:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this normal - withdrawl or anxiety

I need to reach out to community to determine if what I am experiencing is anything close to normal. About 10 years ago, I was a constant and unrelenting drinker (at 23), so I did 30 days of recovery in-patient treatment. The treatment was great for me because it made me realize that I didn't have to drink. I spent the last 10 years drinking 'normally' or not drinking at all. Anyway, this summer I noticed that I was drinking most nights rather than not and my amount was going up (maybe 12 beers, 4 nights a week)... so I decided to stop.

But, as soon as I stopped the anxiety kicked in... it was almost uncontrollable, frequent panic attacks, constant worry etc... I had my last drink 2 Saturday's ago and didn't drink all week, that's when Friday, I had a sensation of a heart attack and thought that I needed to go to the ER. I didn't, I called a doctor and he said that I wasn't having a heart attack. That scare made me drink, I had a 6 pack both Friday and Saturday nights and haven't had a drink since. But, the anxiety hangs on... almost seems to get worse.

I don't have the shakes, sweats, anything, just high level anxiety. I went to the doctor and he checked my vitals and blood pressure, ekg, pulse was all good. My question is, could this recent spike in anxiety be a result of decreased alcohol use and could it be dangerous? I have read about kindling, but don't think that the amount that I have drank recently and the amount of days that I have not drank pose a threat of significant withdrawl issues, DT's or anything worse.

Has anyone had a similar experience? And finally, when will the anxiety go down?

Thanks for reading
- Matt
Old 08-22-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been having similar this week as I stopped on Sunday. I guess my alcohol intake was similar to yours, probably 6 or 7 pints 3 nights a week then more plus spirits 2 or 3 nights a week. My anxiety has been awful this week and it was the last time I stopped drinking. I guess last time it took me a couple of weeks before I really felt like I was levelled out.

I also get issues with anger too, which is bad enough normally but on a week like this working in a busy restaurant/bar it's an issue.

I do know from last time that my anxiety was way better two or three weeks in after stopping, in fact that's what lured me back into drinking because I felt so good again.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Acute and post acute withdrawal syndrome.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wink Anxiety

I am having the same thing and I feel like I may lose my mind. I've been sober over a month but the unrelenting anxiety, fast heartbeat, sweating, feeling sick and like I can't take it one more minute and my mind will crack. I don't have any means for health care now so I know how horrifying this thing is, esp w/o help. I keep hearing it gets better. It's the only thing I have to hang onto, that and knowing I am not alone. Anyone else having excruciating headaches on top of the anxiety? I think, as forsaken as it feels, the anxiety is part of paws for those of us cursed with this symptom. I just want to know it goes away someday. Somedays I feel like I may not make it. It's horrible!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi matt, check out PAWS. Post acute withdrawal syndrome. It is withdrawals. I'm glad you checked with the dr to be safe tho. Also check out urge surfing. My tendency was to overeact and make things worse. The urge surfing really helped my anxiety. Very best to you matt.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you. It seems like if I end up drinking, the next day, my anxiety is through the roof. It's really no way to live. I seem to be hyper aware of any sensations i feel in my body, and anything I deem "unusual" tend to freak me out, some times into a full blown panic attack. Thats how it manifests itself for me.

Theres been many a time where I wanted to go to the ER, and once I did. I had the heart flutters, or palpitations. All my tests came back normal, and I was told it was due to anxiety. The more I continue to drink, the worse my anxiety becomes. My doctor prescribed gabapentin, so hopefully a combination of that and sobriety will help out. Definitely continue to work with a doctor.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

newman23, I can so relate to this! Drinking completely makes the anxiety worse. Maybe it's the only way I'd stop completely. The thought of that is as bad as electric shock or something. I get really weird sensations too, hyper aware/sensitive and everything freaks me out. I am so sorry you are going through this. It sucks. Sheesh! You are not alone and maybe I'm not as crazy as I thought....I can really work myself into a state sometimes. God bless. I wish I could get to a doctor. Hopefully one day...
Old 11-23-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by mattymatt View Post
I need to reach out to community to determine if what I am experiencing is anything close to normal. About 10 years ago, I was a constant and unrelenting drinker (at 23), so I did 30 days of recovery in-patient treatment. The treatment was great for me because it made me realize that I didn't have to drink. I spent the last 10 years drinking 'normally' or not drinking at all. Anyway, this summer I noticed that I was drinking most nights rather than not and my amount was going up (maybe 12 beers, 4 nights a week)... so I decided to stop.

But, as soon as I stopped the anxiety kicked in... it was almost uncontrollable, frequent panic attacks, constant worry etc... I had my last drink 2 Saturday's ago and didn't drink all week, that's when Friday, I had a sensation of a heart attack and thought that I needed to go to the ER. I didn't, I called a doctor and he said that I wasn't having a heart attack. That scare made me drink, I had a 6 pack both Friday and Saturday nights and haven't had a drink since. But, the anxiety hangs on... almost seems to get worse.

I don't have the shakes, sweats, anything, just high level anxiety. I went to the doctor and he checked my vitals and blood pressure, ekg, pulse was all good. My question is, could this recent spike in anxiety be a result of decreased alcohol use and could it be dangerous? I have read about kindling, but don't think that the amount that I have drank recently and the amount of days that I have not drank pose a threat of significant withdrawl issues, DT's or anything worse.

Has anyone had a similar experience? And finally, when will the anxiety go down?

Thanks for reading
- Matt
Yup, thats withdrawal. I would get such bad anxiety after a night out and it only got worse and my addiction grew. When I quit, I had 2-4 weeks of anxiety, being at its worst that first 2 weeks. Its your body and brain healing from years of abuse. Bright side, after you kick this thing your anxiety level should go way down. You may always have it on some level, as addicts are anxious people for the most part, but it wont be as debilitating as it is right now. Worst feeling in the WORLD, hands down.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with all that has been said. I too, have experienced the high anxiety.
could this recent spike in anxiety be a result of decreased alcohol use and could it be dangerous?
I'm going to have to say "yes". Now I'm not sure about the dangerousness of this. I just think its our body telling us to "stop it" or get spanked. Or the illness/discomfort/disease telling us to "have another". Its entirely up to us to recognize what is going on and NOT concede or give in to having another drink. Choice is ours. Its a matter of hanging on and white knuckling it and being tougher than the "dog" or voice. Stay strong.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
I am having the same thing and I feel like I may lose my mind. I've been sober over a month but the unrelenting anxiety, fast heartbeat, sweating, feeling sick and like I can't take it one more minute and my mind will crack. I don't have any means for health care now so I know how horrifying this thing is, esp w/o help. I keep hearing it gets better. It's the only thing I have to hang onto, that and knowing I am not alone. Anyone else having excruciating headaches on top of the anxiety? I think, as forsaken as it feels, the anxiety is part of paws for those of us cursed with this symptom. I just want to know it goes away someday. Somedays I feel like I may not make it. It's horrible!
Hi Alysheba,

Over a month is excellent and although you are feeling run down you are almost through the worst of it as I recall, the sweats are horrible especially during the night when you wake up with the chills due to that, the anxiety is another wake up call which lingers around and some days are hard to deal with, I am over 100 days now- 4 months almost and headaches although not excruciating do happen frequently for me still to this day.. I hate the one day at a time mindset but what else do we have ? This website is a god send in my eyes as we can truly relate and understand general feelings being experienced here, because the truth is the outside world will probably never know as much as we put in this forum every day. Well done so far
Old 03-22-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Stoogy-
Thanks for your comments and support. Yes, this web site is a God send! Not sure I would make it some days without it.

I think I wrote that late summer, early fall and I was really struggling. I finally got some health insurance and I got back on SSRIs, but not benzos, and I'm still not drinking; I just quit smoking. The booze will make anxiety worse too, another incentive to not do it! Things are a lot better. I still struggle, some days are worse than others, but like every one said, it takes time and they're right. So, I'm hoping in maybe in 6 more months I'll be a lot better.

Do you still go through PAWS, even at 100 days? I know it's lasted over a year for me, but it's slowly and incrametally getting better.

Thank you and please let me know how you're doing.

Aly
Old 03-22-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
Hey Stoogy-
Thanks for your comments and support. Yes, this web site is a God send! Not sure I would make it some days without it.

I think I wrote that late summer, early fall and I was really struggling. I finally got some health insurance and I got back on SSRIs, but not benzos, and I'm still not drinking; I just quit smoking. The booze will make anxiety worse too, another incentive to not do it! Things are a lot better. I still struggle, some days are worse than others, but like every one said, it takes time and they're right. So, I'm hoping in maybe in 6 more months I'll be a lot better.

Do you still go through PAWS, even at 100 days? I know it's lasted over a year for me, but it's slowly and incrametally getting better.

Thank you and please let me know how you're doing.

Aly
Hi Aly,

I'm doing well thanks for asking, if I can just give myself a kick sometimes to get off my butt and do something I generally feel good but tiredness is the thing that gets me most days, still it could be a lot worst I suppose with we're I am in my recovery to date. I felt really lethargic up until about the start of the 3rd month but I think the drop in calories from not drinking alcohol must deplete the body of all the sugars etc found in beers for example. The two things outwith family that have helped me the most are
1- this site
2- my kettle (coffee&#128077

I love the thought of not being at the mercy of that poison like I was on a daily basis for so many wasted years and stopping when I did at 37.

Thanks Ali and keep in touch
Stuart.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Very normal , The receptors in your brain are trying to return to normal .
Old 05-23-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This sounds like how my drinking career went.
Every time the alcohol started leaving my body, shakes, illness, TERRIBLE anxiety.

The anxiety will go away when you quit once and for all.

And yes, it CAN come back with less and less to drink.
Its really awful past that point. You pretty much have to drink ALL the time, or not at all.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

PAWS ~ Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome ~Post-Acute Withdrawal Symptoms - Relapse Prevention Strategies