View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nighthawk8820
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by mattymatt View Post
I need to reach out to community to determine if what I am experiencing is anything close to normal. About 10 years ago, I was a constant and unrelenting drinker (at 23), so I did 30 days of recovery in-patient treatment. The treatment was great for me because it made me realize that I didn't have to drink. I spent the last 10 years drinking 'normally' or not drinking at all. Anyway, this summer I noticed that I was drinking most nights rather than not and my amount was going up (maybe 12 beers, 4 nights a week)... so I decided to stop.

But, as soon as I stopped the anxiety kicked in... it was almost uncontrollable, frequent panic attacks, constant worry etc... I had my last drink 2 Saturday's ago and didn't drink all week, that's when Friday, I had a sensation of a heart attack and thought that I needed to go to the ER. I didn't, I called a doctor and he said that I wasn't having a heart attack. That scare made me drink, I had a 6 pack both Friday and Saturday nights and haven't had a drink since. But, the anxiety hangs on... almost seems to get worse.

I don't have the shakes, sweats, anything, just high level anxiety. I went to the doctor and he checked my vitals and blood pressure, ekg, pulse was all good. My question is, could this recent spike in anxiety be a result of decreased alcohol use and could it be dangerous? I have read about kindling, but don't think that the amount that I have drank recently and the amount of days that I have not drank pose a threat of significant withdrawl issues, DT's or anything worse.

Has anyone had a similar experience? And finally, when will the anxiety go down?

Thanks for reading
- Matt
Yup, thats withdrawal. I would get such bad anxiety after a night out and it only got worse and my addiction grew. When I quit, I had 2-4 weeks of anxiety, being at its worst that first 2 weeks. Its your body and brain healing from years of abuse. Bright side, after you kick this thing your anxiety level should go way down. You may always have it on some level, as addicts are anxious people for the most part, but it wont be as debilitating as it is right now. Worst feeling in the WORLD, hands down.