Notices

asked my shrink for ativan

Old 03-04-2009, 01:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

asked my shrink for ativan

but he probably won't give me any. I'm taking neurontin and buspar for anxiety but it's not helping at present. I feel like I'm spinning out of control and can't settle down. Had such anxiety a couple weeks ago I went to the ER and got a shot of ativan and a small scrip for the next few days. It helped, until the scrip was gone. Now am having anxiety so bad it's hard to get thru the day. I'd give my right arm for a few ativan, am sick to death of feeling like this.

Not expecting solutions, just needed to vent as I'm awake in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep and can't relax at all.

My life really sucks right now... and fatigue won't make it any better.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I go back to shrink's office today to get my anti d and anti anxiety meds refill scrips. Am praying he gives me a bit of ativan as my anxiety is horrible this morning. I just want it for an 'emergency exit' when it gets too bad to tolerate.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hope things work out for the best at the doctors office Least... I know how awful anxiety can be.
Please keep us posted.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

No ativan from him... so I've gotten some more of an herbal remedy containing valerian, hops, and skullcap to try to alleviate this unbearable anxiety. The only other 'solution' is to drink to momentarily escape this madness. I don't want to go there, but am so desperate to calm down.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drinking isn't an option Least! You know this! Drinking will only magnify the anxiety after the temporary numbing out.

Try the herbal remedy, that combination works very well for a lot of people.

Remember...
WHATEVER HAPPENS, I WON'T DRINK TODAY!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Least,

I take a beta blocker called atenolol for mitral valve prolapse. That's a very minor heart dysfunction. Atenolol is sometimes prescribed for stage fright as it controls the heart beat rate I understand. You might ask your doctor about this. I used to have terrible panic attacks and since I've been taking the atenolol I don't have them.

Recently I forgot to pack my atenolol when I left for a 7 day business trip. I didn't think it would be a big deal but I ended up having a full-blown panic attack in front of a customer! Fortunately I was headed home the next day.

Atenolol is very inexpensive, is not mood altering and I only take a very small dose. It's changed my life!

Once I was able to get the anxiety/panic attacks under control, I was better able to work on the other issues causing me distress.

Please take care of yourself.

Love,

Lenina
Old 03-04-2009, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi least,

I used to take benzos for anxiety, and got hooked on 'em at 2 years sober. It's a funny thing about benzos; you take them to relieve the symptoms, and eventually you need more to do the same job. Soon (for me) you're double-dosing and getting hooked. Plus, withdrawals are really dangerous and are terrible!

Have you ever done any deep breathing/meditation? Maybe try going on youtube and finding some good relaxation exercises? I have a Deepak Chopra CD that I have used many many times in an attempt to naturally ease my symptoms. A hot bath, a nice cup of herbal tea, and it really helped me.

For me, the more benzos I took, the worse my symptoms got.

Hang in there, and remember that alcohol is NOT the solution.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Least,

I know Rowan is right about this. I was given Xanax and it gave me terrible "rebound" anxiety! And I only took it for a few weeks! That was before Xanax was considered addictive. Valium made me even more depressed! I only took it three days!

I use breathing techniques to help control anxiety. It really helps!

Love,

Lenina
Old 03-04-2009, 11:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Least,
Please rule out drinking!! Don't even consider it

I am currently tapering off benzos - again. Even though I used them responsibly and the taper process is being closely monitored, the withdrawal is still uncomfortable. And, truthfully, all they ever did was turn me into a zombie. They did help me when I was literally bed ridden with non stop panic attacks. However, CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) is the one thing that truly helped my anxiety in the long term. I haven't had a single panic attack since completing a 2 month CBT course years ago. I highly recommend you give it a try, if at all possible. The alternatives that Rowan mentioned definitely help as well.

I'm weary of mentioning this... Some people find that BuSpar exacerbates their anxiety. They are in the vast minority, but it does happen - maybe you should ask your shrink to check out this possibility.

I hope you feel better soon Your courage is an inspiration.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Least,

I know anxiety is a btch but, your doctor was correct in not given you more ativan.
I have been taking Klonopin for 9 years(currently on 2mg) with alcohol. Benzos are one of the hardest drugs to withdraw from.....you have to taper like mattcake stated in his post.

Most doctors won't tell you that drugs like Ativan and Klonopin are addictive and just keep uping the dose.

I bought some camomile tea and it helps somewhat. I also found that I can't drink coffee like I used to.

I hope you find something (not alcohol, not benzos...etc) that will alleviate your anxiety.
Of course....there's the serenity prayer.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eeerooo View Post
Most doctors won't tell you that drugs like Ativan and Klonopin are addictive and just keep uping the dose.
This is a great point. Some doctors refuse to prescribe benzos altogether. Others are downright reckless. The "doctor" ( ) who first prescribed me Klonopin literally told me to take "a few pills whenever I felt anxious", and to contact him again "sometime soon". I started popping pills like candy, and suffered from horrible rebound anxiety and withdrawal whenever I stopped. I was absolutely clueless, and only discovered the potential dangers of benzo misuse by doing some research online. Needless to say, I fired that quack and got proper help. Funny, I'd forgotten all about that .
Old 03-05-2009, 07:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Least,

You didn't say if you've done therapy, but if you haven't that's where you need to start. I've tried several different drugs for my anxiety; some helped and some didn't. But after I started talking to a councellor I started making huge progress in just a few weeks. Before therapy I was convinced that this was all just a bunch of chemical reactions in my brain that I couldn't control and that I was just destined to live in misery, but after just a few sessions of CBT I learned how to control the anxiety and keep it from controlling my life.

Long story short; the meds can help, but you really need to start talking about all this with a trained proffessional. Your psychiatrist/doctor is an expert at treating your anxiety medically, but a licenced proffessional councellor will do a better job at helping you figure out what's really behind the problem.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Please, please just get the thoughts of Benzos out of your mind. I have seen sooo many people get in deeper with Benzos than they did with alcohol. And I've also been to a few funerals of those who have addiction issues that have gotten on Benzos.

Mattcake reminded me of the issue my Mom has with BusPar. It did actually make her anxiety worse.

I may be way off base here, but I'm wondering if you are trying too hard to get too far too quick. What I mean is, you always seem to be so hard on yourself, it's like you think that you should be further along in your Recovery when in reality, you're right where you need to be.

I don't have any true anxiety issues, although I've had times where anxiety can get the best of me, if I let it. I'd look into the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Matty was talking about. It's funny, when I was using, I always thought that the only thing that DID help any situation was a pill. Now I look at other alternatives.

Peace & Hugs,
Judy