Notices

Mel Gibson's DUI Arrest

Old 07-30-2006, 08:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mel Gibson's DUI Arrest

Needless to say, surprising from his arrest to comments to police officers. Mel admits he's been battling alcoholism all of his life. This disease affects people in all walks of life, social ladder, famous or not....
Old 07-30-2006, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think his arrest is bad enough, but the things that he said when he was arrested are horrible. Evidently the deputy involved audiotaped the whole arrest incident. And, he has issued an apology for saying the things that he did. He was in a rage and said things he didn't mean. Hmmm...

Uhh, I don't think so Mel, that won't cut it!!!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

wonder if he will get 5 years like i did???
not! lol
Old 07-30-2006, 10:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Clearly, none of us are in a position to judge anyone, let alone another alcoholic who is still suffering.

In fact, in AA we say a prayer for the still suffering alcoholic, like Mel Gibson.

It's a horrible disease that does not discriminate.

Sending prayers his way.

Cathy31
x
Old 07-30-2006, 10:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
At Least I Think I Do

Mel Gibson is human. He is just a well known human. He is allowed. I hope he finds recovery again.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Absolutely, Got It!

Who can't relate to the horrifying realisation of wrongs and shame and remorse after a relapse.

I know I can.

Mel Gibson's statement on drunk driving arrest
Associated Press
The following is the complete text of Mel Gibson's statement regarding his arrest for investigation of driving under the influence of alcohol:

"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the L.A. County sheriff's. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person.

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said and I apologize to anyone who I have offended.

"Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry.

"I have battled the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."
Old 07-30-2006, 11:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by tramp
wonder if he will get 5 years like i did???
not! lol
5 years for one DUI?

The night of my last DUI, I called up my very new girlfriends work, and left a message using horrible obsenities. For a while, I couldn't remember it, and didn't even believe it. Eventually a very fuzzy memory returned, but to this day, I have no idea why I did it.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

About 15 years ago I cracked up 4 cars a fence, the side of a house, and sent a mailbox flying across the street. This was after giving a friend 7 stiched in his lip... and still had the sense to run and hide before the cops got there (that was before the auto DWI for leaving the scene) but I don't even rember leaving the bar.

And to think it took me this long to realize I had a drinking problem... so i am certainly no one to judge someone elses druken actions
Old 07-30-2006, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Mel Gibson is a religious zealot who sponsors Opus Dei, I really despise him. Some ppl on a Dutch messageboard argued AA made him that way but I really don't think so. I'm not into the drunk babbling but 'sober up a drunk horsethief and ya still got a horsethief' or something along those lines makes a lot of sense.

Marte
Old 07-30-2006, 03:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Life!

No one is here to judge him or any other person suffering with addiction.
But, people are always responsible for their actions.

Shalom!
Old 07-30-2006, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Mel? MY Mel?

I think it is admirable that he was forthright with his apology and amends, and hope that this lesson will help him get back on a better path.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

My first thought was, Oh Mel, you should have know better. Then I stopped and remembered he is only human and felt judgemental. I think as celebrities we look at them in a different light. When you break it down, he is just another alcoholic like myself. With a h*ll of a lot more money mind you! Unfortunately, he may need some to get out of this mess. I want to believe his statement was real and heartfelt. But I have also become leery of media junkets and wonder whether it was written for him as a politically correct statement to smooth over his actions. Sorry Ann, no offense.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't know what he said or didn't say. I know to this day, I can run into people that don't even want to be in the same room with me, for past actions. I always liked Mel Gibson as an actor, and he seems like a nice enough guy. I don't know his demons, we all have them.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i don't get it
the guy
could easily have hired a bodyguard of sorts
gone partying
and
have a ride home

it amazes me
these celebrity busts
are something a smuck would do
but\
as posted
he's only human

best
fraankie
Old 07-30-2006, 06:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
cmc

I feel for him, but he has put a spotlight on the disease and that can be a good thing for those out there suffering with this disease. We will all watch and see what choices he makes now.
Ann, do you still have your photo of him on 'your' beach? (so cute)
God bless him,
cmc
Old 07-30-2006, 07:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i remember recently driving my son to school in the morning and the traffice was backed up-i realised that the police doing random checks on vehicles-i had not drunk anything that morning but had the night before-thankfully, we were let through but the way back i took a massive detour just in case

dave
Old 07-30-2006, 07:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cmc
Ann, do you still have your photo of him on 'your' beach? (so cute)
you mean this one ???

Old 07-31-2006, 02:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've always like Mel Gibson. IMO, he is very accomplished as an actor and a director. I read that he started getting sober after the "Mad Max beyond Thuderdome" film which was back in the early eighties I believe.

I guess this goes to show in many ways that alcoholism affects people of all walks of life, and the longest period of sobriety is truly "24 hours."
Old 07-31-2006, 04:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Because I live in a resort area, occasionally a well-known person will attend an AA meeting. If meeting members are truly practicing the 12 steps, they leave these people's fame out of the picture and treat them as they would any other alcoholic. Most of the time it works that way. Problem is, people under the spotlight, like Mel, are reluctant to seek help because they are hounded to death by the press and people in general. He has admitted he has a problem and obviously needs some method to get and stay sober. Hopefully, he will not allow tabloids or public opinion keep him from getting and receiving help. Another famous celebrity that attended a meeting I went to allowed what others thought of him to be more important than his disease. He died three months later of a drug/alcohol overdose.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I think it's a good thread,
It shows that nobody, regardless of their fame or fortune, is immune to the disease of addiction. It shows that even the most famous can find help from AA, and it also shows that they are just human like everyone else and have their struggles.

I think that Mel, and others like him, who are open about their addiction and efforts to take care of it, set a fine example for others who think they are above it or too well known in their community to risk their anonymity, or that it can't happen to them.

Mel isn't posting here, so we can't know the full story, but my guess is that when you put Mel alone with a bottle, he's really not much difference than any of us.

And Deedee, bless your heart for that picture. I really DO break out in a cold sweat (call it the "vapours") when I see that man. :Wshade