Notices

Mel Gibson's DUI Arrest

Old 07-31-2006, 04:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
To Life!

http://www.tmz.com/
The poll at the bottom of the article was highly disappointing. The majority of people thought the police did the right thing by altering the report as a result of Mel's incediary remarks.

He's an alcoholic who needs help, yes. But, no different than Trevor or any of our loved ones, he's responsible for his behavior.

And so are the police who were *star struck.* Their behavior needs to be rooted out completely. I, for one, am SICK of the double standard when it comes to getting and receiving competent help dealing with the horrors of addiction. :nono:

Shalom!
Old 07-31-2006, 05:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree one hundred percent!
Old 07-31-2006, 05:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Perhaps you are right, Teach, but I know that the police gave my son "a break" more than once, most times to help him head for recovery instead of jail. And my son isn't famous or rich, just a sick young man who needed a break.

It's hard to know the truth in people's motives, whether it is Mel's or the police, when the media gets in the middle.

Regardless of motives, my prayers go out for Mel and every addict who still stuffers.

Hugs,
Old 07-31-2006, 05:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
alconaut

Originally Posted by Islandchild
Because I live in a resort area, occasionally a well-known person will attend an AA meeting. If meeting members are truly practicing the 12 steps, they leave these people's fame out of the picture and treat them as they would any other alcoholic. Most of the time it works that way. Problem is, people under the spotlight, like Mel, are reluctant to seek help because they are hounded to death by the press and people in general. He has admitted he has a problem and obviously needs some method to get and stay sober. Hopefully, he will not allow tabloids or public opinion keep him from getting and receiving help. Another famous celebrity that attended a meeting I went to allowed what others thought of him to be more important than his disease. He died three months later of a drug/alcohol overdose.
Fortunately, for most persons addicted to alcohol, there are other choices beside "meetings" as a means to solid recovery.

It's awfully difficult to pity a person who uses tabloids or public opinion not to get help, when those of limited means have no choice other than "meetings". Then there's those who don't go to meetings, can't find or pay for another way to "get sober", die, and never receive an obituary, let alone have the lights turned off in Vegas.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:42 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
alconaut

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by historyteach
I, for one, am SICK of the double standard when it comes to getting and receiving competent help dealing with the horrors of addiction. :nono:
Right on.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It's true that Mel shot off his mouth just as any drunk will do...it's the things that he said in this particular case that have cast him in an uglier light. While he says that he said things he "did not believe", rumors of his virulent anti-semitism have been swirling about for quite a while and this incident had the effect of removing all doubt concerning his beliefs. The hideous things he said during his arrest were his beliefs and the alcohol removed that convenient filter betwixt the brain and mouth for him. What a creep.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Agreed - there are always choices. Hopefully Mel Gibson and others will make the right one that will allow them to live.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:16 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
is grateful

Originally Posted by BSPGirl
Mel Gibson is a religious zealot who sponsors Opus Dei, I really despise him. Some ppl on a Dutch messageboard argued AA made him that way but I really don't think so. I'm not into the drunk babbling but 'sober up a drunk horsethief and ya still got a horsethief' or something along those lines makes a lot of sense.

Marte
He made horribly anti-semitic statements, and verbally abused a female officer with misogynistic statements.

Truth be told, I've said more of my real feelings while drunk than anything else. Then again, I'm a high-bottom.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:40 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

At the end of the day he's just another drunk.

Mel is an okay guy by me and I hope he can get his act together.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann

Mel isn't posting here, so we can't know the full story....
And Deedee, bless your heart for that picture. I really DO break out in a cold sweat (call it the "vapours") when I see that man. :Wshade
But maybe he's reading here...Hi, Mel!!! So that picture has got to go....
Old 07-31-2006, 09:17 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

From The Star....
EXCLUSIVE: MEL IN RECOVERY PROGRAM

Mel Gibson has checked himself into a recovery program for alcohol, the troubled actor's rep Alan Nierob, exclusively tells Star. "He is in a program of recovery at this time," Nierob says.

Plus, Chris Prentiss, a neighbor of Gibson's and the co-founder of celebrity treatment centre Passages in Malibu, Calif., tells Star: "I understand he has gone into recovery program. The center that I've heard he's checked himself into follows the Alcoholics Anonymous 12-step program. And I don't believe that will help him."

Prentiss — who refused to name the rehab center he's heard Gibson is in — adds: "I think he needs individual intense therapy by a team of people who know what they are looking for in causes in alcoholism. There are only four causes and it is one or more of those four causes that are causing him to be out of control.

"First, everyone who is using alcohol excessively has a chemical imbalance. The second is events of the past that we can not cope with like the loss of a loved one or it could be guilt. We may have done something years ago that we can't forgive ourselves for. The third one is current conditions we can't cope with like failing marriage or business of lack of respect. The last thing is things we believe that are not true. And in Mel's case I know one of them. He believes he has the disease of alcoholism which probably prevents from him from looking for the real reason why he drinks and alcoholism is not a disease. That is the current thinking today. Alcoholism is a symptom and we treat the underlining causes.

"Statements that Mel Gibson made are a result of alcohol changing Mel Gibson into that kind of a person.

"The Mel Gibson that we all know is not that kind of a person. When alcohol enters his system he becomes an out of control, belligerent, nasty guy. It's not Mel Gibson's life. Most of time, 99.9 percent of time he is fine upstanding gentlemanly person.

"I wish Mel Gibson well and I would like to see him get the help deserves. He is a fine guy and he should have the kind of help that will truly help him."
Old 07-31-2006, 09:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It seems personal opinions run amok in Malibu.
Tsk! Tsk!

Hmmm..is
From The Star....
the tabloid similar to the
National Enquirer and the Globe?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:40 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Racist jerks come with good looks too...
Old 08-01-2006, 11:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I hope someone can take something from this awful
situation and apply in some way to their own......
Nothing good comes from alcohol abuse...absolutely nothing.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:02 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

I think it is admirable that he was forthright with his apology and amends....
Bad publicity damage control.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Recovery? or Gossip??

I'm just reading this and wondering how I would feel if you were talking about me like this on SR........................................

I would really feel betrayed and don't think I would be able to come back
here for help..or to tell my truth

Just a thought............................

Janni
Old 08-01-2006, 02:41 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As Mr. G is now working on recovery
this thread is closed.