Notices

Perspective from a 3 year old

Old 05-12-2006, 10:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

That's right, jenjram. You have to keep it together for the little guy. It's not just about us anymore.

Also, by the way, you probably are not fooling the adults either, you know.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am very glad you shared the story about your three year old and how the child KNEW you were drinking.

How many of us have convinced ourselves that no one else knew... I know I did. Reality CHECK those around us usually know ... we are the only ones fooling ourselves. Think about it, a three year old whose brain isn't even fully developed can tell... and yet we think full grown people with full cognitive capacity can't tell...

Levi
Old 05-13-2006, 01:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Upon going outside, with a few under my belt, my beautiful Rotti would put her tail down and creep somewhere where I couldn't find her. She didn't want a bar of the 'inebriated' version of me. Now that I am sober though, she can't jump on me or slather me with her kisses enough.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

Originally Posted by jenjram
Thanks for all the input. I truly want to change so he has no memory of a mother like this.
And so you have all the memories of a child like that. Don't forget how much we gain from our beautiful children. I have found unlimited support from mine recently. They are so precious and so much a part of me, I don't want to miss them growing up again.

I am even saying this in the throws of worrying sick about them, they are old teenagers, young adults and, well, that is a very worrying time. And they can be revolting to me sometimes, but they are just going through a stage. I want to see it all and know them well. Alcohol blurs memories, slants outlook and deprives me of seeing clearly.

When I give to my children I receive gifts back that are just irreplacable. I am actually a little selfish about it. When I get older I really want them to keep me in their lives, I want to have younger people to talk to and enjoy. I have them as insurance for my old age. I am glad I can see that now, when I was drinking all that mattered really was getting drunk, the kids would have gotten less important.

love Brigid
Old 05-13-2006, 06:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Michael

Jenjram,
I learned that the only person I ever kidded about drinking was me. Everybody else could see it, I simply denied that a problem existed.
If you are going to give sobriety another go, don't do it for your three year old, don't do it for anyone else in the world, only do it for you. That way you can concentrate on the central problem....you.
Michael