Notices

What and how much do (or did) you drink?

Old 02-24-2006, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What and how much do (or did) you drink?

I've always been a beer guy myself although a few times I have resorted to the "stiffer" stuff (ie; gin and lemon-lime soda, etc). I tend to drink between 2-6 beers each day starting at about 2:00PM. Then I eat, sober up, pop a sleeping pill, watch TV and go to bed. So what do you folks drink when you drink and how much do (or did) you drink?. What was your daily "routine"?. What time did you start drinking each day?. I'm new here and I'm just curious about what other people go through on a given day in their struggles with this beast.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

I was a weekend warrior, meaning when the weekend came it was ON! I drank as many beers in one night as I could. I would drink until they kicked me out of the bar and would always be looking for the after-after party. Some nights I would get home and be all alone, again. (What do you know.. ) So I would crack open a beer, never finish it and pass out.

When I was 19 I drank literally 15 White russians in under two hours and ended up in the hosptial. So I decided then and there, never again with the hard stuff. Eventually, I would incorporate a shot here and then, ya know, to celebrate bdays or something. I love champange though. After it seemed like I could never drink enough beer to get drunk I switched to wine and got drunker easier. It was all about getting drunk. I would prob drink 2 bottles in a night, maybe more.

In the summer, my weekends started about Thur-Sun, with another weeknight of drinking in the mix. When I wasen't drunk I was stoned. When I wasn't drunk I was thinking about, waiting for my next drunk. (None of this I realized until I sobered up).

I was never arrested, no duis, no divorce, no serious debt, and nothing that low bottom. I was just another alcoholic on her way to blooming. The day I couldn't take how I felt inside was the day I decided to take an honest look at my life and truly think that "just maybe it was the booze and not everything else" . So I decided to give it a fair, honest shot.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Ugh! Too much for too long! Weekend warrior (bit time) that progressively got worse. At my bottom, it was 3-4 bottles of white wine/night (by myself), for 4 or more years, and though I'm tall, I have a small frame, so that's way too much. I'm lucky to be alive, really.

Hope you kick the demon, too. There are many on this site who can show you the way, but you gotta want it and BELIEVE. Glad you're here!!
Old 02-24-2006, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i started with beer (at age 13) and pretty much stuck with that up until my early thirties, drinking anywhere from 2 beers to 12pk each night. ONe time i was so proud of myself.....i drank 24 beers throughout the day and was still coherent (i should have realized i had a problem then). Anyway, i tried Captain & Cokes and found they tasted really good, but didn't always agree with me (always ended up puking and deathly ill the next day) so i switched back to beer. But then it was getting too expensive to drink a 12pk every night so i switched to Vodka. Much cheaper ($8.99 for 1/2 gallon) and that would last normally a few weeks. But then over the last year it started being that 1/2 gallon of vodka would only last 2-3 days. So, that's where i was at when i stopped.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At the end I was going through a pint of whiskey a night during the week and a liter or more a night on Friday and Saturday while trying desperately on Sundays to get sober enough to be able to work on Monday. I would buy enough for a pint on Sundays but more times than I care to remember I would hide it from myself while sober on Saturday, find it while in a blackout and wake up Sunday to find that I had NOTHING left.

My God what a miserable life it was and how thankful I am now that I don't have to live like that today.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober4Ever
I've always been a beer guy myself although a few times I have resorted to the "stiffer" stuff (ie; gin and lemon-lime soda, etc). I tend to drink between 2-6 beers each day starting at about 2:00PM. Then I eat, sober up, pop a sleeping pill, watch TV and go to bed. So what do you folks drink when you drink and how much do (or did) you drink?. What was your daily "routine"?. What time did you start drinking each day?. I'm new here and I'm just curious about what other people go through on a given day in their struggles with this beast.
I learned early on that the questions you're wanting answers for are interesting but beside the point. The point is, if you weren't concerned about your drinking, you wouldn't be here. The question is, what happened/happens to you when you drink? Answer that now, and the answers to the others will come in time. Do you want to quit drinking, or keep on researching?
Old 02-24-2006, 04:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well...

It’s really not

How much you drink or when or what or why

It’s really about

How your body and mind process alcohol differently than most people.

That is what makes an alcoholic.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

I drank every day all day. I drank to much and it never ever seemed to be enough. I found that the amount grew and grew over the years. I would drink whatever I could get my hands on whether it appealed to me or not. Life is so much better and easier without it. I actually can hold a job and enjoy life now that I am no longer a slave to the bottle.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I drink Crystal Light. I particularly like the pink lemonade. Carnation Instant Breakfast no sugar added is good stuff too. A glass or two is usually enough. More than that and I get bloated.
Mike in Boston
Old 02-24-2006, 07:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

After many years sober I relapsed, and only drank red wine. It was not alot in comparison to others, but it was too much for me. After 2 sips, my brain chemistry got impaired and I could not stop until I was passed out.

So now all I drink is water or good coffee.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
On a tear

Rum and coke... until it, or my money, was gone.

Generally 10 - 15 drinks in an outting. Hit it hard at least two nights a week, had moved up to 2 hard nights and 2 or 3 "easy" nights a week when I quit. Loved that Khalua... but always had to mix it with something evil in order to make it work right....
Old 02-24-2006, 08:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Growing, Learning, Living

I used to drink pretty much every day. Sometimes beer (never less than 12 a night), sometimes gin & tonics, rum & coke, parrot bay & pineapple juice, bloody mary's, screwdrivers, all the same ratio as the beer. SOme nights I would switch back & forth between them, some nights I would throw shots of jagermeister, vodka, blackberry brandy or pucker or other schnapps into the mix. At one point I drank just on the weekends, then went to almost every night, then I started bartending days & drank from 6 pm til 1 am then sometimes went to the after hours parties (usually at my house). Then of course there were the days (years) of cocaine added into the mix where I would not stop for a few days.

I have forgiven myself of all of that & more than that, GOD has forgiven me for all of that & has allowed me to live a wonderful, sober life with a family. I have been truely blessed.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Growing, Learning, Living

The funny thing about that is that I never realized that I had a problem until I ended up on the second floor (psyche ward) of a hospital after my boyfriend called 911 after finding blood all over the kitchen & bathroom from where I had cut myself again. Slowed down after that, quit a few months later (when I thought about doing cocaine again), asked Jesus into my heart, now all I drink is water, soda, coffee & juice.

The reason I never thought I had a problem was all of the people in the bar (s) doing the same thing I was. There were days or outings that I did not really want to drink at sometimes, but everyone else did, so I actually felt like there was something wrong with me for NOT wanting to. Of course, I ended up drinking. I pray for everyone who has any kind of struggle with alcohol or drugs. I pray for healing from this awful, awful addiction.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Beer and Wine, I don't touch spirits.
I probably have two to three glasses of wine about two or three nights a week, then seriously hit the beer around every second friday (about 10-15 beers). This basically means that I spend one Saturday every two weeks feeling like hell, anxious, ashamed and disgusted with myself for what I've done the night before.

Great way to live
Old 02-25-2006, 08:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Stronger every day!

I was never arrested, no duis, no divorce, no serious debt, and nothing that low bottom. I was just another alcoholic on her way to blooming.
This pretty much sums me up too. Which is why I was able to deny that I had a problem for as long as I did. I've been drinking since I was 15--started right off with "jungle juice", that mix of Koolaid and grain alcohol, because at the time I didn't like the taste of beer. As I got older, I got over that (eyeroll) when I discovered micro brews. I started out as a weekend warrior, did the Friday happy hour thing when I hit the corporate world at 20, like EVERY Friday. The crowd I worked with was a drinking bunch. Funny, when I left that job, I managed to fall in with the happy hour crowds at the next several jobs I had, and still never thought it was a problem. I was in my 20;s, legal now, that's what you did, right? After the partying got old, I did stop for a little while but still drank when stressed or for other self medicating reasons. I stayed what I thought was "sober" for months at a time, except that all I really did was switch to pot, pills, or crank. But I wasn't drinking, so I was doing good.....yeesh, what delusions we have, huh? I would return to drinking when I decided I was smoking too much pot or when my pills ran out and I had no way to get more, and now that I'm totally clean and sober, I look back and realize that there was probably no more than maybe six months total out of the last 10 years that I wasn't on something to mask my feelings.

My last binge was last August--I had just had a really big dramatic scene play out with my then-BF, who is also an addict and alcoholic. I stormed out, that was IT, and went right to my best friend's house, knowing he always has booze. I wanted to mind erase that whole day and my whole lousy relationship as well. I started out with rum and cokes, which simply weren't working fast enough, so I bagged the coke and started doing shots of rum to "get there faster." I lost count at 15 shots, passed out for a little while, then drove home still drunk. Fortunately I made it without getting stopped or killing anyone. I called out sick the next day, and decided that was IT. I felt SO crappy that morning, shaking, puking, sweating, that I said.....there has GOT to be a better way.

There was. Six months later, I am still clean and sober. I've had some drama in my life over those past six months, and am dealing with it the best way I can...facing it head on, praying, calling my sponsor when I need to, or my friends either in or out of the program, and I feel SOOOO much better today. Thank you God, and thank you SR family.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I used to start at about 3 pm in the afternoon, and drink beer. Whether I was at work or not, that didn't matter. I drank at least a 12 pack a day, followed by a bottle of red wine, and 2 or 3 glasses of whisky.
Every day, for at least 4 years.....
Old 02-25-2006, 08:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Paused

I had my first glass of chardonnay at 6pm, then a second glass as I made dinner, then aother glass with dinner, then of course another glass after dinner. I sometimes had a cocktail if I was at a restuarant or cocktail party, but it was always just a warm up to my bottle of wine.

Now I'm hooked on diet Red Bull and diet tonic water with lime!
Old 02-25-2006, 04:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Usually have a couple of nights during the week with enough to get a buzz but not over do it and then really go nuts on the weekends. Sometimes from about 6pm on Friday and on through Sunday. Perfer beer, but vokda is also cheap and gets the job done quick.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
LEARNING TO LIVE AGAIN

I drank mostly beer my now X wife said I was too 3 30 packs a day and getting worse I was to the point it had no effect on me anymore just a high blood alcohol level and a lead foot got me to finnally admit I had a problem. the officer said there was 6 30 pack containers in my truck and enough beercans in the back seat to fill them and there was not a full one in the truck when i got pulled over!!!! now I am sober going on 1 year and a monthsince that cop saved my life !!!!! scared me clean and sober with the time I got in jail for my 6th dui..... stay sober and keep coming back it works if you work it!!!!!!!!! Aaron
Old 02-25-2006, 05:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by requiredfield

my weekends started about Thur-Sun, with another weeknight of drinking in the mix. When I wasen't drunk I was stoned. When I wasn't drunk I was thinking about, waiting for my next drunk. (None of this I realized until I sobered up).
that sums it up, for me too. I drank enough to get arrested for it, get dui's and accidents, get kicked out bars for not drinking like a gentleman, loose jobs... Once i came too in the in the drivers seat, parked infront of my house. My keys were in the ignition. I was covered in vomit. Days of time were missing. My ex-w was supposed to be out of town, but wasnt - or rather she had gotten home... The lost weekend...Scarry... Another time i came too in a police station. I was too drunk to arrest, they didnt want to be rsponsible for me dying in lockup. they called someone to come get me. In general, When the bars closed, i'd go out looking for more...Ended up with a horrible drug problem, that eventually brought me to by knees... I cant afford to forget that alcohol is a drug... I didnt sleep often, usually i just passed out...