Notices

What and how much do (or did) you drink?

Old 02-25-2006, 07:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
WNC HILLBILLY

Hi.
I was a weekend warrior at the age of 19 or maybe earlier. I usually drank a 6 pack of beer at a time until I got married at the age of 22. I gradually started off 12 beers on the weekend because of lack of money. When I could afford more, I started drinking almost everyday. Still married with 3 kids I had made it to 12 beers a day after working 12 hours 7 days a week. In early 2004 I seperated from my ex wife and moved out continued to drink even more.(15+)
6 months ago I went to doctor and I knew something was wrong. My right side had a dull ache in it all the time and I found out my liver was inflamed. I still drank a couple more months. I met this wonderful women online and she saw me drunk a few times and asked me a simple question..."What's it going to be, me or the beer???
Well I chose her and I knew that is what GOD has been trying to tell me this whole time. I was abusing my body so bad that I was reaping what I had sown all those years. I still have many problems with my 3 daughters because of what I put them through, but I know time will heal all the pain and I can say right now that I am happy to have a wonderful women in my life that cares about me and supports me all the way. I thank the LORD above for another chance at life.

Rob
Old 02-26-2006, 05:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

i hope this doesn't turn out to be an educational post. i started drinking at around 9, stealing beers and mixed drinks from the grown ups. by the time i was 13 i was mixing anything to get a buzz. i was locked up for " indiscriminate chemical abuse". i was sent to a Catholic charities youth home, there we learned all about commonly available highs. after awhile there i was so out of control they sent me to a state hospital. this was after an od on 14 hits of desoxyn. there i remained me, until they locked me up on the forensic ward, an education for a 14 year old i assure you.
i drank alot of cough syrup, used to love romilar and vicks inhalers. extracts, lemon in particular, it eats plastic but its 98% alch.
squeezed sterno. mouth wash, in the old days listerene. there weren't any that tasted good. never liked cologne or lysol. i drained compass's for the grain alcohol.
when i quit i was drinking two 12's of beer and a pint a day. i'd get a gallon of vodka when i could. it would last about a day. i was never very particular. for a few years i got into a wine stage, when i hit 2 gallons a day it made me too sick in the morning. won't get into the chemicals. i used to love to get drunk, drop a few hits of acid and huff contact cement to heighten the hallucinations. i always believed that too much of everything was just enough. and lived that way for 30 years. most of my friends had died, or were unrecognizable as the people they once were.
i woke up one day and most of my life was over. unbelievably i had aqquired a home and family during all of this, which i lost. and i was fairly good at functioning, making foreman several times and places, i was a yard super for the RR once, and a captain on tug boats and ocean trawlers. i used to drive alot drunk. started when i was very young, as a result i couldn't get a license. finally managed that when i was 38. lost alot of bikes to the cops, cars too. fortunately i never hurt anyone and only had 2 wrecks, 1 with another drunk out in the middle of the desert.
i remember drinking 4 pints of southern comfort at a Johnny Winters concert. we killed some mad dog on the way over. Johnny kicked a**, but i wish i could seee it again today. i saw the Dead play out of the back of a flat bed truck once, but i was really wasted that day. what a shame. all in all i lost millions of dollars (really ), some beautiful friends, and my son over the years. it must have some meaning, my life.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:11 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Michael

I drank exactly the right quantity to make me addicted to alcohol. After I was addicted I drank whatever my addiction desired. I wan't concerned with quantities it was the quality of the buzz I was after. Singles became doubles, beer became super strength, wine had to be a minimum of 14 percent. A couple of drinks once or twice a week became solid drinking every day.
I am not sure if there was a level of consumption at which I should have become concerned, I just moved on up the ladder until I reached the point at which I decided enough was enough.
Michael
Old 02-26-2006, 02:22 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

What a sad existence it is as an active alcoholic.

I drank every day, the days I worked, I drank in the evening only. On the days that I didn't work, I drank from the second I could physically stomach it. The days where I didn't work obviously increased. I was partial to drinking beer, but I would drink anything if it was available. When I wasn't drinking, all I was thinking about was how quickly I could get to the liquor store to buy more. And would I be able to withstand the agony of not having any. It was a torturous life.

Near the bottom, I was likely to drink even the remains in old beer cans. I threw out the rubbing alcohol in my medicine cabinet because I was afraid that it was possible that I may drink it during a blackout.

I never want to go back to that life again.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

I drank around the clock--no stopping--continuous--only stopped when passed out--horrifying, really
Laura
Old 02-28-2006, 02:18 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I drank on and off for about ten years. For the last 3 - 4 years, I drank about a fifth of brandy and a pint of beer every night. When I first started drinking "regularly," I would often go out for a beer or two after work, go to clubs with friends, etc. Eventually, it just got to the point that once I started, I did not want the feeling to end.