Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

.5 beer & alc free beer: a tease or a good alternative?

Notices

Old 06-08-2005, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hey guys whatsup
my buddy came over yesturday and he brought .5% alc labatt beer and i smelld it and it smells just like beer and he says it taste like it too.
do u guys recommend this sort of thing or is it bad to get the taste in??

i think it would be refreshing
or would it just **** me off that the beer taste didnt end with a buzz

who knows!
wat do yall think
Old 06-08-2005, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

well...personally i won't drink it.
Stimulates the five senses...see, smell, touch, taste...feel...even though its 0.5 it still has alcohol in it.
It would only get me wanting the real thing...
\\//Wendy
Old 06-08-2005, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I value my sobriety too much to take a chance in waking up the demon who cares not whether I live or die.
I have heard much discussion about this subject, thing like orange juice that has set in your refrigerator for more than a couple days has more alcohol in it than NA Beer I can't get caught up in the mumbo jumbo... it is too risky for this drunk.
I had to make some absolute changes in my life in order to stay sober and one of those happens to be "I do NOT drink alcohol" it is not an option for me.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dreamlike...Now

Do you know about the phenomenon of craving? Hell No! I wouldn't touch it!
Tanya
Old 06-08-2005, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chy

To much of a mental mind **** for me!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Drinking non-alcoholic beer is like going to a House of Prostitution to listen to the piano player

Sooner or later...
Old 06-08-2005, 10:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thumbs down

I do not drink or eat or snell alcohol.

I have in the past and jumped started my cravings.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

LOL! Greg! But very true!
Old 06-08-2005, 11:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's Ken, but I'll let you off the hook this time...
Old 06-08-2005, 11:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I hit the bottom - it's solid!

For your consideration ...

I have a friend who stayed clean for 10 full years. While he was visiting out of town friends, they encouraged him to join them while they drank by buying him a "safe" beer, saying, "it couldn't possibly hurt you, because these type of beers are ok". Well, he gave in and enjoyed drinking it. After returning home, he began to purchase these kinds of beer. Less than 1 month later, he was back to drinking real beer and other types of alcohol, but much more heavily than when he had quit. This was over 5 years ago and he's still drinking. He often says he how much he wishes he'd never given in to that one beer.

I hope this helps you make your decision.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Just A Diva With A Purpose

No mo beer! That's the bomb! The Fairy Queen has learned welll---phenomenom of craving is always a possiblity--and don't forget the mental obsession--first a little "near beer" then a little "near crack" then why not pull the pistol out of the closet and play a little russian roulette? Blessings, Queenshenique
Old 06-08-2005, 02:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

man ya'll are killing me!! hehe but i know ur right
in fact today i was thinking about was well ya,.5 beer is good and well one beer is good (im sober one month about now) so im getting into dangerous territory. i keep repeating the key poem i found on this board.. 'i drank to be strong but i became weak, i drank to make convo but forgot what i said..' i saved that poEM it really moved me. i have to remember why i started. NOT EVEN ONE! right?
Old 06-08-2005, 03:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I spent 7 years in sobriety and drank non alcoholic beer, but I was also popping valium with it to give me a "lift" to go with the taste of the beer. Well, here I am, drinking again, and having a real hard time quitting. I suggest no to it.
Vickie
Old 06-08-2005, 05:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I wouldn't touch it...when i was sober (I'm drinking again) even my mouthwash with it's small amount of alcohol in it was torture...soon i was back on this path again :/
Old 06-08-2005, 06:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

yo it just occured to me on this post that some of u are still drinkers
i thought it was a place for only sobers. (im not judging!) im just saying that cuz i know if i was drinking i wouldnt wanna be in a place where everyones holding hands putting up insparational quotes... i'd be like that like thats nice, wheres the party at! i hope i dont sound rood do? im just shocked. thats part of the reason i wont have just one drink i dont want to go to the boards and face all the ppl who were strong to say no. but again, ive never been a sever alc (drinking in the am, or drinking more than 5 drinx) just a love affair with booze ive had.. and again, i havent slipped yet, who knows if i will... those are my thoughts...
Old 06-08-2005, 07:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Fighting the good fight

I've said it to you before so you know how I feel, knowing from alcoholics who have quit, they have quit this way, the alcohol free beer is a good alternative, although I think that it might also depend on the person whether or not it is a good thing. If it is a trigger for you to drink than it is probably a bad idea but if it is the flavour that you are after and not the buzz then I dont see why it would be a problem, I mean as long as you arent buying a case a day to drink it...but...its up to you.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

I think that you can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding. But that's just me.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Future Philanthropist

I wouldn't touch it 'cause .... ewwww, that stuff's nasty tasting ... at least compared to a non-alcoholic cranberry juice

Too much risk, not enough reward for attempting it for me.

- Greg
Old 06-09-2005, 12:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My family buys the non alci stuff for the non alci's however they are good and usually don't drink it. As said above my brother said it brings back the taste and smell, however he has to go through vacation and get togethers smelling it cuz we are all drinkers, I am wanting to quit and go to AA with him but I am afraid I will be forsed to speak or talk or say"Hi my name is Dena and I'm an alcoholic".
Old 06-09-2005, 02:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by dena
I am wanting to quit and go to AA with him but I am afraid I will be forsed to speak or talk or say"Hi my name is Dena and I'm an alcoholic".
Dena, the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. Since you want to quit, you meet the only requirement. Everything else is totally optional and completely up to you. You do not have to say anything except maybe "Hi my name is Dena, I think I may have a problem so I'm hear to listen tonight." (And that's only because it's generally considered polite to introduce yourself when you meet new people )

Please don't be afraid. A.A. members do not bite. Some of us may seem to come on a bit strong but that is only because we really believe in the solution that has worked for us. It may turn out that the A.A. solution is not for you but you will not know that until you try.

One of the ideas behind A.A. (and N.A) is "If you want what we have, we'll gladly tell you what it is, how we got it, and how you can have it too." For me, this is the real beauty. So much of the world we live in seems to revolve around "F*@K you, I got mine" and A.A. just isn't that way. I urge you to find out what we have before you decide you don't want it.

One Love, One Heart, Jah Bless
Tony