Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

.5 beer & alc free beer: a tease or a good alternative?

Notices

.5 beer & alc free beer: a tease or a good alternative?

Old 06-09-2005, 02:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GshizzleA
hey guys whatsup
my buddy came over yesturday and he brought .5% alc labatt beer and i smelld it and it smells just like beer and he says it taste like it too.
do u guys recommend this sort of thing or is it bad to get the taste in??

i think it would be refreshing
or would it just **** me off that the beer taste didnt end with a buzz

who knows!
wat do yall think
Why waste time with this stuff? Takes twice as much to cop a buzz, but you still pee the same.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I did drink non alco Becks, says 0.1 to 0.3 on the bottle, I drink it because the only choice in a rest or bar is ******* coke etc, I am sick to death of ordering cola
and it makes the drinkers feel a bit better, they wont admit it but it makes drinkers uncomfortable to be around a non drinking person, at least having a non alco beer bottle in my hand i think I feel less like a loser

although, last sat in a bar in ireland with my dad, the becks non alco did taste sooo good, for a fleeting moment it almost gave me the taste for a real one, the first time that happened, I thought then I will avoid non alco beers JUST IN CASE!

so my long winded point is, it is a bad idea, just get it out of your head, dont flirt with the devil
Old 06-09-2005, 06:20 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

"cunning, baffling, ................."
Old 06-09-2005, 06:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

GshizzleA
Just wanted to let you know I am on day 2 of not drinking. I come to this sight for support and encourgement. Because I have the desire to quit, I belong here right along with the sober ones. Because of this sight I am on 2 and I will continue to come here for the support that it gives me. I cannot leave my house because I take care of my mother who has brain cancer. So going to a meeting when ever I want is not easy. This place has been a safe haven for me where I can come and read how people stay sober. I am sorry if I offended you by saying I am drinking again. I am not now and pray that I dont pick it up again. I am taking it 1 hour at a time at this point.
Vickie
Old 06-09-2005, 06:34 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Pheonix

Gshizzle- I have been a beer drinker for many years (8 tallboys a night and beyond) and I never drank for the taste- frankly, beer tastes like crap. I drank for the buzz (If you can call what is going on in your head after 8-10 beers a buzz!) Near beer seems likely just to **** you off and make you want a REAL beer. I'm gonna stick to iced tea! Hang in there, baby!
Old 06-09-2005, 06:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by roy!
I did drink non alco Becks, says 0.1 to 0.3 on the bottle, I drink it because the only choice in a rest or bar is ******* coke etc, I am sick to death of ordering cola
and it makes the drinkers feel a bit better, they wont admit it but it makes drinkers uncomfortable to be around a non drinking person, at least having a non alco beer bottle in my hand i think I feel less like a loser
Know something Roy. I don't drink coke either. I do however, drink tonic water with lemon or lime, or just plain water with lemon. And to tell you the truth, I don't give a damn whether drinkers are uncomfortable or not. Today I'm a winner 'cause I didn't drink. Losers are people who aren't willing to do what it takes to be winners. If I drank fake beer it would just be a matter of time until I drank the real thing. Hang around a barber shop long enough, and I'll end up getting a hair cut.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:24 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoMoBeer
It's Ken, but I'll let you off the hook this time...
shees!!! Not sure what I was thinking!! Greg, Ken....sound the same right? LOL!!

Kathy (or just call me Nancy)
Old 06-09-2005, 09:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Sweetness wrote something about "if it's the flavor you're going after and not the buzz..." LOL!

Hey, I love the taste of Fresca, but I don't drink it by the case!

Ken
Old 06-09-2005, 12:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
wingsfreed

I went that route quite a few years ago....and yeah .5% alc labatt beer ...labatts blue being my used to me choice of the real beer.

I think the stuff is gross, so malty tasting, and you are fooling yourself going near it, of course I could stop at ONE....I ended up going back to the real deal after a couple of months. You wanna know why, my fav beer made a new case...oh man it looked so inviting, the beer bottles had sweat rolling off them, it was a hot summer, every time a case was brought into my house, I pretty much drooled at the picture on the box...LOL, to much eh, laughing at that now thinking about it..was yearsss ago...

Today I know not to go near anything related to beer.....ok ok I lied, I like the odd root beer.....it's pop if no one's ever heard of it...you know soda.

Old 06-09-2005, 02:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

i love hearing stories about ppl drooling over beer displays lol im not alone!

i guess ill just say no to the .5 stuff. and ya i dont care if i make drinkers feel uncomfortable when we are all out. i know they are thinking 'damn that girl has will power.' and we make them face their own demons. cuz ya i too was uncomf around non drinkers when i drank, its like u watch how u talk to them a bit cuz theyre not 'there' with u. but buck that!! i still think ill have one real beer 2mor for the montreal formual 1 car racing show. just one!! or maybe i should just hide under my bed till the craving goes.

'i like the fries here, theyre good' - Paris Hilton
Old 06-09-2005, 03:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
wingsfreed

Quit RUNNNNN hide underneath your bed...pretty safe there, haha.

Yep I'm very uncomfortable around non drinkers.....lol..dang, they make you feel like you're an alien or something, especially when they land at your door step and your not feeling any pain...so what my top is inside out..lol....oh boy the memories...gotta laugh at this...the alterative is getting to old for my liking...gotta love being a female.

I know what you mean about drinkers being uncomfortable, I've been at that end of the stick too....they insist you have a drink...you keep saying NOOOOOO, next thing you know there's an open beer sitting in front of you, and heaven's forbid you be rude..next thing you know, you're off to the races. Avoiding places like that now, safer for the time being.

Good luck to you if you try to just have ONE.....that reminds me of the lays potatoe chip...I dare you to have just ONE.

One more time...RUNNNNNNN hide under your bed till the urge goes away, which it will..yipppppieeee.

Take care, and don't look at appealing false advertising, like sweating beer bottles on the side of the case, on a real hot day, lol.

Denise <--- happily sober today...looking at plain old things these days, safer that way..and maybe hiding underneath my bed if need be, I better lay off the icecream or I might not fit, if it ever comes to that LOL

Old 06-10-2005, 09:51 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

NO MO~~~ You "crack me up"!!!! Listen to this>>>>>I would take N/A beer in the car with me..(back in the day..hehe..4.5months ago) So I could "trick" the cops if I should get stopped..they smell? I show phoney beer!!!
Well, I never got stopped when I had the frickin' beer...and when I did get stopped it was by another car I slammed into..not funny for me or the gentleman I put in the hospital for months..

Here I sit..yep, not even 10/a in the mornin'...drinkin' COKE!! I wouldn't waste my $$ on that weird colored water...and just for today? I won't waste my $$ on the "realZ stuff" either!

((hugs)) Luna/Lynda
This thread has givin' me the "giggles"!!! Have a good sober day all!!
Old 06-10-2005, 10:52 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Whoever first said "Non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics" knew what they were talking about!

In my opinion, drinking non-alcoholic beer is like shooting yourself in the head with a small-caliber handgun...

What's next? Diet Crack?
Old 06-10-2005, 11:07 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nocellphone
Whoever first said "Non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics" knew what they were talking about!

In my opinion, drinking non-alcoholic beer is like shooting yourself in the head with a small-caliber handgun...

What's next? Diet Crack?
LOL. Now that's funny! I don't give a damn who you are....that's funny. God I wish I could have come up with that line. Nocell....you belong on comedy channel.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:54 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Originally Posted by Music
LOL. Now that's funny! I don't give a damn who you are....that's funny. God I wish I could have come up with that line. Nocell....you belong on comedy channel.
Thanks, Music! You obviously have a great sense of humor yourself...

M'wife like to say things like, "OK, Mr. FunnyGuy, why dontcha make us some MONEY already?!?" Someday...
Old 07-20-2005, 07:16 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Straight shooter

It will definately lead to drinking.........It gets the cravings going.......First you'll drink 3 fake beers & then start to think hey I'll just have a couple of real ones her......kind of sneak em & the rest is history......"Don't even start"!!
Old 07-21-2005, 03:52 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I haven't experienced drinkers feeling uncomfortable around a non drinker. Mostly they are too busy getting on with their own drinking. The only ones who ever even noticed I wasn't drinking were those who drank far too much themselves. Even then their interest only lasted until their next drink.

Social drinkers don't seem to care what you drink, it's no big deal to them. They don't worry about willpower because they don't need willpower to stop drinking, alcohol, whatever the strength is not an obsession with them.

When I was drinking I used to seek out people who drank the way I did. That way I could kid myself that I was a 'normal' drinker.

I never drank for the taste, I drank for the affect so I didn't bother with low alcohol drinks.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:13 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Been there and done.

Alc free beer walks and quacks like a duck. I can't go there.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:54 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi G!

I hope that this doesnt offend you, but I must have missed something, I thought that you were controlling your drinking? I was just wondering what happend that made you change your mind? Please let me know!
Congratulations on one month sober!
Lauren