Notices

i don't like who i am when i drinnk

Old 05-30-2005, 02:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i don't like who i am when i drinnk

All the bull is coming to an end. I had a weekend of guilt and pain and shame and I've had to tell myself I don't like who I am when I drink.
it's not all the time i can be normal but maybe once twice a year i go bananas and drikn til i don't know what's going on.
Apart from the wee snippets that flash into your brain and make you feel like crap.
friday night was bad tried to work it off but it's lingering.
Shell
Old 05-30-2005, 02:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Welcome Back to SR,
Shell!!
What can we do for you?
Have you tried AA?
I'm sure there are lots of
meetings there in London.
Why not give it a go?
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 05-30-2005, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Celtic,

I know exactly what you're talking about. The problem is that if you do nothing about it those times will increase in frequency.

I don't like who I become while drinking and even on those occasions I think I did like myself (when I felt I was the life and soul of the party, being really funnny etc) was just a lie. I was still being an idiot most of the time. It was funny only in my drunked and distorted mind.

I don't use AA meetings myself but have you considered them ? Whichever recovery path you choose you should make sure you dedicate some time every day to it.

Good luck to you

Lawry.

Old 05-30-2005, 05:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi

and Welcome to SR

Stick around ...read our post. I hope you will find answers that work for you.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Shell - welcome back. We all understand! For me, the shame and embarrasement was the key to understanding my alcoholism. Us alchy's are different when we drink, it affects us differently. The good nights of drinking are part of the disease I think because it makes you believe you can handle it. The bad nights are always just around the corner. If we continue to drink we will always end up with a hangover, guilt, shame and depression.

Kepp coming back, this is a great group of people who care about your recovery!

Good luck
livlaphluv
Old 05-30-2005, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi and thanks for all your messages. You are all really nice.
After reading the alcoholism/abuse thread I'm still not sure what it is that's making me feel this bad. I don't have cravings and I honestly can go out and have a couple and not even think about it. and I can go for months without any and not think about it.
In the last 3 or four years this has happened to me 3 times.
it doesn't matter does it?
how many way s are there for someone to kid themselves on?
Old 05-30-2005, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by celtic1888
How many times must a man look up
Before he can see the sky?
Yes, 'n' how many ears must one man have
Before he can hear people cry?
Yes, 'n' how many deaths will it take till he knows
That too many people have died?
How many years can a mountain exist
Before it's washed to the sea?
Yes, 'n' how many years can some people exist
Before they're allowed to be free?
Yes, 'n' how many times can a man turn his head,
Pretending he just doesn't see?
"Blowin in the Wind" - Bob Dylan
You don't like who you when you drink? Easy solution there, don't drink. Considering yourself an alcoholic (or an alcohol abuser...) is not a requirement for not drinking. Some people (or so I've heard) just don't.

One Love, One Heart, Jah Bless
Tony

Last edited by findingout; 05-30-2005 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Bad Tony, didn't credit source
Old 05-30-2005, 08:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No expectations!

The ways we kid ourselves are , dear friend. But it doesn't sound like you're kidding yourself anymore.

To me the unpredictability was key to knowing I'd lost control. I never knew when I started drinking whether the end would be OK or horrible (It was never good.). So I had to stop. And finding a support group, in my case Narcotics Anonymous, was key to staying stopped. You are reaching out here. Face-to-face support is even better. I recommend finding a good network whether it's in AA or not. Best wishes in your recovery, Shell!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 05-30-2005, 08:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Shell,

There are LOTS of ways to kid oneself. I've been doing it for years. It hasn't gotten better, but worse. And even though a particular incidence that causes me shame might fade over time, collectively they all add up to produce greater shame. I was talking with my sponsor yesterday, and I asked him how long it was really bad for him before he stopped drinking. He said six weeks. OMG!! I could not believe only six weeks. I guess I have a smart sponsor. He recognized his "problem," (whatever you want to call it, makes no difference to ME) and stopped. I tried to explain to him how years of shame and feeling bad are harder and he was basically unimpressed. I guess the deal is, it's just better to stop, no matter how many incidences one has. Good luck and good to see you here!

SC

One more point I'd like to make. Several incidents that were bad took place YEARS ago, IOW, the most shameful ones. So I could try to fool myself and say I've gotten better. Thing is, my shame has intensified, as I've continued to do things this way, in spite of years of "research." Why? Because I haven't learned, have kept drinking, and wasted a lot of time. Just wanted to add that.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by Secondchances
IOW
What does that stand for? Thanks!
Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 05-31-2005, 02:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

just don't drink!

Simple - big simple things.

ok i'll give it a go
Old 05-31-2005, 02:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

just don't drink!

Simple - big simple things.

ok i'll give it a go
Celtic1888, coolness. If you find that "just not drinking" turns out to be harder than you thought, please come on back for the rest of the story

One Love, One Heart, Jah Bless
Tony
Old 05-31-2005, 05:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Chy

Celtic welcome! Once your over those guilities keep coming back anyway, when we get to feeling better after a terrible binge, made all those promises to ourselves, become over confident again is about the time for me anyway, that I thought I was fixed. Fact is I never got fixed just worse until I quit 100%. Stick around here to feed your courage and strength in your resolve to make a change.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi and thanks for all your messages. You are all really nice.
After reading the alcoholism/abuse thread I'm still not sure what it is that's making me feel this bad. I don't have cravings and I honestly can go out and have a couple and not even think about it. and I can go for months without any and not think about it.
You're feeling what I felt when I decided to go to AA. I listened to people talk and kept thinking, "I didn't do that." "I didn't drink that much." "I didn't lose a job or my wife...etc." I was told many times, and finally realized that what I drank, where I drank, with whom I drank and how often I drank, was all interesting but beside the point. The point was WHAT HAPPENED WHEN I DRANK. Sure I went several times just having a "couple." I went days sometimes when the heat was on, not drinking at all. But when I did drink, I seldom stopped until I couldn't drink any more, or until the booze ran out. If drinking causes problems, then drinking is a problem. I read in chapter 3 in the Big Book that if I doubted whether or not I was alcoholic, to try not drinking for one year. I knew I was dead in the water. There was no way I could go a year without drinking; doing it myself. I needed help. I got help and haven't had to drink since. The help is there if you "want" it.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No expectations!

just don't drink! Simple - big simple things. ok i'll give it a go
They say it's simple, but not easy. You do need support, or I do anyway, as do most of us. Please check out some type of support group meeting, even if it's not AA. It can make all the difference.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 05-31-2005, 07:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Smile

All I can say is what a gift it has been to learn to like myself through the program of AA and staying sober one day at a time. Hang in there.

Hugs--
Old 05-31-2005, 09:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Music
You're feeling what I felt when I decided to go to AA. I listened to people talk and kept thinking, "I didn't do that." "I didn't drink that much." "I didn't lose a job or my wife...etc." I was told many times, and finally realized that what I drank, where I drank, with whom I drank and how often I drank, was all interesting but beside the point. The point was WHAT HAPPENED WHEN I DRANK. Sure I went several times just having a "couple." I went days sometimes when the heat was on, not drinking at all. But when I did drink, I seldom stopped until I couldn't drink any more, or until the booze ran out. If drinking causes problems, then drinking is a problem. I read in chapter 3 in the Big Book that if I doubted whether or not I was alcoholic, to try not drinking for one year. I knew I was dead in the water. There was no way I could go a year without drinking; doing it myself. I needed help. I got help and haven't had to drink since. The help is there if you "want" it.
Yep - thats my advice too
Old 05-31-2005, 09:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by Millwallj
Yep - thats my advice too
Maybe you two Londoners could meet at a meeting or something!

Love and hugs,
Eddie