Notices

SMART/Cathy31

Old 05-29-2005, 02:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SMART/Cathy31

From the AA forum:
AA is never kept sacrsanct, SMART is lauded as this AMAZING program which is never criticised.

Well, I think SMART is rubbish. I am intelligent enough to have a few degrees incl a Masters in Business...if alcoholism was LOGICAL or SMART I would've found a way to not be one! I find the whole SMART approach insulting to my intelligence...no my disease is not about being handled SMARTLY...it's so serious that I need a spiritual program and a higher power to LIVE properly.

My opinion - am I allowed to have one and share it???

Cathy31
Certainly you're allowed to share it. Would you like to discuss this opinion?
Don S
Old 05-29-2005, 02:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

I could agree more

The more we know, the more life gets confusing.

I thought I was too smart to be a crack head. This has been the most challenging last two years of my life (okay 4).

My subconscious mind is in control. I find myself at the dealers every 4-5 days, since my relapse (I had four months!!). I feel hopeless, though I too have degrees.

Am I one of the unfortunate's who can be honest with himself!!!

From a previous Addictions Counsellor!
Old 05-29-2005, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

lol. Yeah it didn't work for me either and I graduated with only one degree but I graduated with the highest honors!

It's a cognitive approach. Yes, it all made sense to me but I still felt I was smarter than it was. I need to be given strength and a common sense approach doesn't give me what I need to stay away from my addictions but prayer does work. Go figure.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

AA is most certainly not for everyone. So then what? What IS there for people who need something to help them achieve sobriety and remain sober but have found AA not to be what they need? There are several options, SMART being one of them, so yet another perhaps that doesn't work for some, so what else IS there? Let's see Lifering, Secular Oraganization for Sobriety, Women for Sobriety. Eventually if one is not stalling in finding a way there is something available that will work. Counselors, therapists, spirtiual advisors, we have many choices. So, if what is being suggested doesn't work for you I'm sure there are countless others it does work for.

In the grand scheme of things it's unreasonable to assume that there is only one right way, therefore we have choices, in our country we have the freedom to make that choice and in so doing it's fair to remember so long as we achieve the end goal of sobriety it really doesn't matter how we did it just that we did. I'd say that's a common goal we all have here no? Therefore, we should applaud each other, be happy, remain respectful we as individuals have found a way and we have the freedom to share that as well as the freedom to take it or leave it. But when leaving it remember "it", an individuals personal choice of recovery, worked for them, be happy for that, not critical.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Exclamation

Hi Don

Nope, just want to share it, don't want to discuss it, but thank you for the offer.

I'd like to thank you very much for posting this thread in the Alcoholism Forum which is where it should be - thank you!!!! As I said before...you are an interesting and complex man! And I enjoy your posts! *almost* always, and definitely when they are *not* on the AA forum, lol!

Just regarding the whole cut and paste thing though, one should really paste the WHOLE thread so that my churlishness and exasperation could be contextualised...that would be a bit fairer to me, yes? But the thread was locked for a reason...so let's not go there again!

Adpage...I promise you I felt totally like you too..I thought oh my God, am I one of the UNFORTUNATES incapable of being honest!??!?! Maybe it's something a lot of us go through...I also started, stopped, took my will back etc...I feel good today though because I've strung together a few 24's (and I don't mean that in a falsely modest way, I'm talking like WEEKS!!!) but I feel so good, I am trying to re-engage honestly with the program and I feel peaceful and happy. So...don't give up!!!!

Night Night
Cathy31

x
Old 05-29-2005, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, michski,
One of the things I really like about Women for Sobriety is that it strongly focuses on affirmation and support. I posted one of their articles over on the Friday Affirmations threads recently. Of course, most recovery programs have meetings for that group support, too, and SMART is no exception.
Don S
Old 05-29-2005, 03:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

my churlishness and exasperation could be contextualised...

I love that! I'm gonna steal it from you unless you have it copyrighted...

Don S
Old 05-29-2005, 03:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

I agree Chy. What doesn't work for one, may work for another. It's simple. I don't understand why people can't accept that. As long as you get sober, what difference does it make. You'll find a poor role model in most any program if you look hard enough. You'll also find a successful one. Whatever program you choose, work it.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Don S
From the AA forum:

Certainly you're allowed to share it. Would you like to discuss this opinion?
Don S
Don:
I certainly would. Could you bump up to committing to a time for meeting in the chatroom with me personally? I would love to find out if you needed permission to copy, paste, and post another piece from a Closed Thread on another Forum. Did you, & will you meet me in the chatroom?

((((((((Don S)))))))))
3 Legacy
Old 05-29-2005, 03:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by Don S
my churlishness and exasperation could be contextualised...

I love that! I'm gonna steal it from you unless you have it copyrighted...

Don S
Don, you are welcome to it!! It took me a bit of time to come up with it, lol, hence the italics so that it wouldn't be missed! don't you just love it when people appreciate the nuances of language!

I trust that you are suitably chagrined for your actions!!!!

Cathy31
x
Old 05-29-2005, 03:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dan

Old 05-29-2005, 03:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'd like to thank you very much for posting this thread in the Alcoholism Forum which is where it should be - thank you!!!! As I said before...you are an interesting and complex man! And I enjoy your posts! *almost* always, and definitely when they are *not* on the AA forum, lol!
Ditto Cathy, and Thank you Don.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don:
Well, I stuck around in chat for as long as I could. Would love to schedule a time to speak one on one in chat with you about Delphi-Techniques, DiaPrax, Dialectic Praxis, Group Think, and some other neat approaches I see you are obviously familiar with. When are you willing to make yourself available? I will try to make it work on my end if at all possible. Will check back later for your reply to the earlier questions of mine on this forum as well.

(((((((Don))))))))

Brett
Old 05-29-2005, 04:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 3legacy
Don:
I certainly would. Could you bump up to committing to a time for meeting in the chatroom with me personally? I would love to find out if you needed permission to copy, paste, and post another piece from a Closed Thread on another Forum. Did you, & will you meet me in the chatroom?

((((((((Don S)))))))))
3 Legacy
I haven't even explored the chat options on this forum, to tell you the truth. So that will have to wait for another day.
It isn't possible to reply to a quote in a closed thread.
But all I did to move Cathy's comments was highlight, copy, and paste them in here, then added the Quote, /Quote tags (in brackets) around them. I don't think anyone needs permission to do that, and I figured Cathy would reply promptly. Which she did. As she points out, though, it's best to put such quotes in context.
Interesting and complex -- I'll take that as a compliment. And now chagrined.
You're welcome, Patsy!
Don
Old 05-29-2005, 04:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

ahhh OK thanks for the reply. I popped right back in and bingo I see you have returned upon my departure. Thanks for the reply to the questions as well cuz I have a couple unanswered questions from some folks on those closed threads I would still love to have answered.

Let me know when you take the time to learn how to use the CHAT here in SR.

Yip those techniques really work. Hope some other check out link to find out about them.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Originally Posted by Chy
AA is most certainly not for everyone. So then what? What IS there for people who need something to help them achieve sobriety and remain sober but have found AA not to be what they need? There are several options, SMART being one of them, so yet another perhaps that doesn't work for some, so what else IS there? Let's see Lifering, Secular Oraganization for Sobriety, Women for Sobriety. Eventually if one is not stalling in finding a way there is something available that will work. Counselors, therapists, spirtiual advisors, we have many choices. So, if what is being suggested doesn't work for you I'm sure there are countless others it does work for.

In the grand scheme of things it's unreasonable to assume that there is only one right way, therefore we have choices, in our country we have the freedom to make that choice and in so doing it's fair to remember so long as we achieve the end goal of sobriety it really doesn't matter how we did it just that we did. I'd say that's a common goal we all have here no? Therefore, we should applaud each other, be happy, remain respectful we as individuals have found a way and we have the freedom to share that as well as the freedom to take it or leave it. But when leaving it remember "it", an individuals personal choice of recovery, worked for them, be happy for that, not critical.

Shame on you Chy, there is no room for common sense and reason in these discussions. I hope you will keep these resonalbe opinions to yourself from now on!!!
Old 05-29-2005, 06:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Paused

I am not sure how to reply. Did I just do it?
Old 05-29-2005, 06:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by adpage
Welcome adpage.Looks like a reply to me.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by adpage
You sure did
Welcome!
Old 05-29-2005, 07:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome adpage!

....ahhh darn Tyler I'll never get it now will I?