Notices

Relapse

Old 01-30-2024, 11:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
You've learned a lot because of the relapse. That's how it was for me, too. I guess I needed further convincing. No more experimenting with 'social drinking'. It is absolutely not possible for me to control or moderate once that first drink goes down. All my resolve & determination abandons me, & I'm left looking for the next drink, and the next. This never has to happen to us again.

Glad you are feeling optimistic & determined.
Oh yeah I learned a lesson and then some. It's funny and i haven't mention this and even though I was repulsed at the sheer thought of drinking again subconsciously after the fourth year of my sobriety I was like "hmm maybe if I go long enough things will reset and then i could drink normally again!" Haha i was so wrong. When I relapsed alcohol was like" yeah I'll give him a couple months" and just like that almost got me! Close call for sure!

Old 01-31-2024, 04:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 12877 View Post
Oh yeah I learned a lesson and then some. It's funny and i haven't mention this and even though I was repulsed at the sheer thought of drinking again subconsciously after the fourth year of my sobriety I was like "hmm maybe if I go long enough things will reset and then i could drink normally again!" Haha i was so wrong. When I relapsed alcohol was like" yeah I'll give him a couple months" and just like that almost got me! Close call for sure!
This is what happens. To every one of us who have become problem drinkers and then, "Give it another try."

I quit drinking for 18 years. Started back up with a glass of wine at a Happy Hour. Within a few months I was back to a daily glass or three of wine. In time I was drinking at the levels which caused me to quit the first time. I had to quit again and now I'm at nearly 10 years sober since I quit this second time. I won't make that same mistake ever again. Never that first glass.

It's the first drink that opens the door to the crazy.

That's why I say, "Never forget."
Old 01-31-2024, 05:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I could not stay clean and sober until I fully committed to the recovery program of Alcoholics Anonymous and I have come to conclude that there is a type of alcoholic for whom -- like me -- AA is the only solution. Of course, I have no way of knowing whether you are that type of alcoholic but I hope you'll keep an open mind about it. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about that.
Old 01-31-2024, 10:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by novips View Post
I could not stay clean and sober until I fully committed to the recovery program of Alcoholics Anonymous and I have come to conclude that there is a type of alcoholic for whom -- like me -- AA is the only solution. Of course, I have no way of knowing whether you are that type of alcoholic but I hope you'll keep an open mind about it. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat more about that.
Would I consider AA? Of course I would. And there's plenty of meetings where I live. I've been doing good with my sobriety so far, and I'm currently looking for more support. I really don't want to be in that dark dark place again. Its a horrible place to be.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
This is what happens. To every one of us who have become problem drinkers and then, "Give it another try."

I quit drinking for 18 years. Started back up with a glass of wine at a Happy Hour. Within a few months I was back to a daily glass or three of wine. In time I was drinking at the levels which caused me to quit the first time. I had to quit again and now I'm at nearly 10 years sober since I quit this second time. I won't make that same mistake ever again. Never that first glass.

That's a great quote for us alcoholics. We can't forget. I know i cant that's for damn sure!
Old 02-10-2024, 05:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

How are you, 12877? You still with us?
Old 02-12-2024, 12:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

18 years! Wow. Most of us are miles from that number... I'm 6 months in and reading all this just makes me more alert. NEVER let your guard down. This is how our life is, forever! Just accept that we can't drink EVER.
I saw plenty of videos about sobriety on YT and one of the guys had 20 relapses. 20! If he counted them, that's because he wanted to be free from alcohol on the 1st try. And he failed 19 times! But kept going and seems that he got it this time.
Old 02-14-2024, 12:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

How are you, 12877? You still with us?
Oh hey. Yes I'm still here and still sober! Thank you! Yeah I'm going on 3 weeks and feeling great. I have to admit being sober is way better than drinking. I'm even going to the gym now and that to me is a great feeling!

I think I'm going to try to be a lot healthier from this point on. It's things like this that bring happiness to me.

It's nice not having to wake feeling like hell haha.
Old 02-14-2024, 01:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go 12877

D
Old 02-15-2024, 02:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yay! Thanks for the update 12877 - I'm happy to hear you're happy!

Old 02-20-2024, 12:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
way to go 12877

D
Yay! Thanks for the update 12877 - I'm happy to hear you're happy!

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it!