Notices

Digestive issues in the first days of sobriety?

Old 04-20-2023, 02:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Digestive issues in the first days of sobriety?

I was going over some journal entries from those first few days of being sober. Apparently I had some pretty nasty gas issues, like awful. Had anyone experienced this in the early days?

Last edited by steve-in-kville; 04-20-2023 at 02:10 PM. Reason: testing
Old 04-20-2023, 07:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think a lot of gastrointestinal issues get hidden by daily drinking. Once you sober up you can feel what has been going on in your body that you have been numbing and dulling. Add that to the body now adjusting to the new circumstances and it is a recipe for digestive issues.

I felt worse sober with pancreatitis than I did drinking with it. Drinking made me feel all was fine. When I sobered up all hell broke loose. It has taken a long time to heal.
Old 04-23-2023, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One thing that may have made it extra bad was I replaced all those bad calories with healthy calories and the shock to the system sent it spiraling. When you are consuming half (or more) of your daily calories in hard liquor, and then stop suddenly and consume fruit, veggies and lean proteins... yeah, that's gonna leave a mark!
Old 04-23-2023, 02:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hear you . Thought i was suffering with bad IBS and other issues but no, with all the drinking i was doing i really dont understand how my body was able to function at all.
Old 04-23-2023, 02:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AL48 View Post
I hear you . Thought i was suffering with bad IBS and other issues but no, with all the drinking i was doing i really dont understand how my body was able to function at all.
Totally get that. There were many Monday mornings going back to work after day drinking over the weekend that I'd have pains in places I never experienced pain before. I'd would wonder which internal organ was shutting down this time! I can joke about it now, but at the time I'd wonder why I'm not in the hospita!
Old 04-24-2023, 12:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That persistent pain under the rib cage on the right hand side. The pain was bad enough but the worry of whats going on inside was worse, am i too late to fix it? If i dont stop now everyone will find out the truth about my drinking and what ive done to myself. "Oh the shame" i would think and all that time the people selling it didn't have a problem with me handing over my cash (working on my anger issues). There was only one way to do it but somehow i would talk myself into drinking again that night🤦. It was just so hard that first few weeks. Glad to be on the other side.
Old 04-24-2023, 02:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad to be on the other side.
I agree. Many a morning a would google my aches and pains of the day.
Old 04-25-2023, 10:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That persistent pain under the rib cage on the right hand side. The pain was bad enough but the worry of whats going on inside was worse, am i too late to fix it? If i dont stop now everyone will find out the truth about my drinking and what ive done to myself. "Oh the shame" i would think and all that time the people selling it didn't have a problem with me handing over my cash (working on my anger issues). There was only one way to do it but somehow i would talk myself into drinking again that night🤦. It was just so hard that first few weeks. Glad to be on the other side.

Sorry, the people selling what?
Old 04-25-2023, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dbyrer View Post
Sorry, the people selling what?
Whatever alcohol i could afford that evening.
Old 05-01-2023, 05:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So what was it?

So what was causing the pain on your right side? Obviously drinking but was was affected?
Old 05-01-2023, 06:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Liver crying out.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The left side would be the stomach. I pretty much thrashed my stomach on a three-day weekend.