Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

You know you are an active alcoholic if......Pt 2.

Notices

Old 02-02-2021, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

last part here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...lic-if-20.html (You know you are an active alcoholic if.......)

D
Old 02-02-2021, 08:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you can't look in the mirror
Old 02-02-2021, 10:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can invite anyone round because your front room floor is covered in empty bottles and cans.

This was me.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Rather be at the bar than home with their family.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tynesider22 View Post
You can invite anyone round because your front room floor is covered in empty bottles and cans.

This was me.
That should say can't.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
Rather be at the bar than home with their family.
This was so true.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You throw your phone in a swimming pool because you're frustrated with your SO because she didn't use a Red Robin coupon on you. Yes, I actually did that.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You run out and replace the bottle of vodka from the liquor cabinet and figure out how much to pour into another bottle to make it look right. And your partner tells you to just replace what you drink, already, but... maybe you have a problem? You say, yeah, I need to drink less. And switch back to wine when the shipment comes in.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You know you're an active alcoholic when you spend half your waking hours calculating. Calculating how many units are in that bottle and whether that's cheaper per unit than the other one, given the dwindling amount of money in your pocket. Calculating how many bottles or cans you need to get you through to bedtime without having to dash out to the offie again five minutes before they close. When you're out at work, calculating how many you've had, converting that to units of alcohol, working out when you need to get in the car again and subtracting one unit every hour until you think you should be under the legal limit by the time you have to drive home. The next morning, calculating how many hours it is since your last drink and when it'll be ok to drive. Spoiler - it doesn't work.

You know that everyone else also knows you're an active alcoholic when you go to France to stay in a house belonging to family friends you've only met a couple of times before, and having them take you into the kitchen to show you a huge plastic five-litre container of locally-produced rough wine under the sink, then smiling kindly, if pityingly, at you and saying "we got this for you, any time you want to come and have a drink it's ok."
Old 02-03-2021, 12:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ugh, these lists are so cringey to read because I identify with over 90% of them. My gosh, I do NOT miss that life. Just a couple months ago but it already feels much longer.
I cannot believe how much time I have wasted BEING wasted. Or hungover. Or in withdrawal.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When starting your workday hungover, miserable, ashamed, and riddled with anxiety, you promise yourself (again), “not tonight”. Only to find yourself hours later, driving to the store to pick up more alcohol. Despite your best intentions just moments earlier, any willpower or resolve to keep the promise is lost. Deep in your soul, you feel horrible and ashamed about it, but convince yourself, “I’ll try again tomorrow”. Repeat infinity.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Erica375

I have one:
You go to work with a "black" eye (actually it's bright purple) because you were drunk and fell (again) and you have to convince your co-workers that no, no one is abusing you and yes, you do feel safe at home (except from yourself, but you don't say that part out loud).

My eyelid was purple for days. My favorite color is purple and I will never view purple eyeshadow the same way again.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You take mix scotch with water in a glass, while you are doing dishes with the water running, (so he doesn’t hear the ‘glug glug’) door to TV room is closed, then you appear next to spouse after rinsing mouth with listerine so they won’t smell it
Old 02-09-2021, 07:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You spend your limited money on wine so are way behind in bills.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

OMG.

I spent last night reading all 26 pages of Part 1.

Reading this thread makes me want to drink like having teenagers in your house make you want more children! NOT!!!

So many similarities, I thought they were my own dirty secrets, but come to know we are all so similar.

You know your an alcoholic when:

You put the empty bottle of wine that you hid under the kitchen sink into your backpack the next morning while BF thinks you are just making breakfast, and you take it to a dumpster in the next town over.

You open an extra bottle of booze, put it behind the couch next to the wall where you sit and ‘read’ an ebook while he sits in TV room. You think he doesn’t notice you slur your words or walk around the home furniture (I.e., bump into it)like the stumbling homeless person going down a street.

You pour three tall glasses of premade margarita mix at outside picnic in courtyard of your building while everyone else has one glass. You don’t notice this. You THEN stay up after boyfriend lays down in bed, open a bottle of Chardonnay and guzzle half of it. Then proceed to puke everywhere as he’s making love to you, and he has to clean you up, the bed, the floors, etc. You hardly remember this.

You realize you really need to hide your cell phone from yourself before you plan to ‘just have one glass’, because you will get plastered and text or fb things that you don’t remember, come from your lizard brain, and can’t take back one sent or posted.

You bring up old hurts to loved ones, and say mean things, barely or vaguely remembered the next day, and you can’t deposit love back into those withdrawals of those relationships.

You believe that pouring gasoline is a great idea to get that soggy wood to burn in the fire pit, and get annoyed when spouse and children think that was a stupid idea. You wonder why you smell burnt hair, and realize that eyebrows gone and singed hair are just part of lighting a fire, right?

You notice a scrape of skin gone from your hand, and your leg hurts the next morning, having to be told you fell on top of boyfriend going down stairs. You’re glad to find out he didn’t rebreak his leg. Cast he had on probably saved him.

You long for the days when a week or two would pass, and there wasn’t a thought of alcohol in your head. Yes, you remember! It happened around month nine of your sobriety. Before you blew it.

You realize how easy it is to get into the swing of choosing not to drink, and how difficult it is, to stay that way when your addicted brain lies to you in your own voice————“It’s ok, you got this now, it’s been five ....minutes, hours...., days......, weeks......,months ......, years......., decades........”

Old 02-10-2021, 09:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You exclaim to your partner you’re sorry you never gave them the massage last night you said you’d give. And they reply, you did, remember? And we had the hottest sex ever! And you embarrassingly say, oh yeah, of course! And you don’t remember any of it.....
Old 02-11-2021, 09:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You post like hell on SR, have good intentions, and no action to open up the toolbox, drink anyway at a birthday party, and then drink about 8 ounces of rum after you get home. Feel like crap in morning, wonder if you hurt liver so badly. Wonder if family noticed smell.

get right back on SR, feel empowered again. 🥰
Old 02-12-2021, 04:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When you wake up hungover at 5am and immediately reach for a beer and drink it, only to puke a mix of that, bile, and blood moments later.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That sounds awful, guy!
Old 02-12-2021, 08:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Guy,

have you told the Dr about the blood?

concerned.