Notices

I think I messed up things really badly :/

Old 02-23-2020, 05:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I messed up things really badly :/

So on Tuesday I am booked in the Rehab Facility.

The Rehab is ment for alcohol addiction. I was specifically told that I will be given a drog test. I am allowed to have alcohol, weed and benzos in my body (I don't take benzos anymore), otherwise I will be reffered to Rehab for drug addiction.

On Friday (now it's Sunday), I said "eff it" end went on a bender. In my stupid drunken state I snorted some lines of cocaine. When I sobered up I found out that I made a very stupid mistake. Cocaine is detectable in urine up to 5 days from last line. So it will be very likely that some metabolites will still be found in urine on Tuesday. I really feel so scared right now. I don't want to go to Rehab for illegal drugs. My problem is alcohol. If I weren't drunk, I would not do cocaine (I do it about 1x every two months). What will my father say if I will be refused because of cocaine ... My parents somewhat look forward to my treatment. They bought me bunch of new clothes. So tomorrow al the packing and on Tuesday 2-hour drive just to be rejected because of Cocaine.

I am already making plans how I am going to beg the doctor not to refuse me, pleading on my knees etc.

Is there any way to get this powder out of my system as quickly as possible? What would you do in my case?

Old 02-23-2020, 06:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Not sure there is anything you can do other than be honest Vino. If you are doing coke regularly, even if not frequently, maybe the other rehab is the best place to start anyway? If you decided to say “f-it” and do some lines that would seem to indicate you have a problem with coke too.

Sorry that may not be what you want to hear, but being honest is a cornerstone of being sober IMHO.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yikes.

Well, yes, you will likely fail a drug test. based on my experience with when/what shows up, timelines aren't 100% and you are on a very thin margin here based on doing coke this wkd.

I have to echo Scott- be honest. The only way to tackle what is not just an alcohol problem, but a SUBSTANCE problem, is to tackle ALL of it.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Vino88 View Post

On Friday (now it's Sunday), I said "eff it" end went on a bender. In my stupid drunken state I snorted some lines of cocaine. When I sobered up I found out that I made a very stupid mistake.
Reads like self-sabotage. With the drinking, one last hurrah before rehab; with the coke, maybe you didn't want to go to rehab...not really.

If they offer you drug rehab, take it. Alcohol is a drug too.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with the others, addiction is addiction at the end of the day. You can't simply give up alcohol and then take up drugs as I see so many other people do.

Look at it this way, you will get help for addiction to mind alerting substances there. For me alcohol was my primary addiction but I'm not forgetting that I dabbled with weed/cocaine in my past either although they never did the damage that alcohol did to me but if I gave them half a chance they would.... I simply can't use any mind alerting substance successfully.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcohol is just so much more affordable and available is why it was my biggest problem. They are all drugs though and I am addicted to anything and everything.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, I think you are all right!

So what would you do in my situation? Go there, fail the test, tell my dad what happened and go with what the Doctors will suggest?
Old 02-23-2020, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Doing a little coke whilst drinking is just performance enhancement for more drinking.

Its a stimulant is all, so you can drink for longer.

I did it plenty of times in my 20's and 30's.

I don't think you have a coke problem and need drug rehab. The biggest reason is you simply won't identify with the more hardcore druggies who will have used a medley of what ever they can get, meth, speed, coke, prescription, opioids, benzos, weed.

You'll be sat there thinking to yourself, "I'm not one of these guys, I just wanted to be able to drink more, so I had some coke"

Addiction is not just one big bucket in my opinion.

Alcoholics aren't drug addicts and drug addicts are not alcoholic.

We simply borrow from the other camp, to occasionally meet specific needs.

I've met plenty of NA guys who don't identify with the unquenchable thirst of the actual alcoholic, but when they can't score, they'll drink a bit to get through to the next score. They are actually quite moderate and controlled drinkers though.

For me, there was never anything I really liked about weed, uppers, downers and such, by themselves, but on occasion, to maintain the ability to drink, I would borrow from the other camp so to speak and use some uppers.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When I entered rehab back in 1990, I was there
amongst folks with different addictions. It wasn't
just for alcohol, which was my drug or choice, but
there were those addicted to prescription meds,
powerful drugs, anything and everything that is a
mind altering drug, toxic, poisonous, controlling,
illegal or not.

Applying a program of recovery to my everyday
life on a continuous bases has helped me remain
sober for many yrs by merely listening, learning,
absorbing, and applying knowledge of addiction
and recovery.

That is pretty powerful in achieving success in all
areas of our life clean and sober.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
nez

What would you do in my case?
Accept responsibility for your actions. Stop looking for the easy way out escape clause.

Not accepting responsibility for my actions and looking for the easy way out escape clause were two of the major contributing factors to the width, breadth, and depth of my alcoholism, which had progressed to such a degree that rehab was needed in order for me to recover.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Derringer View Post
Doing a little coke whilst drinking is just performance enhancement for more drinking.

Its a stimulant is all, so you can drink for longer.

I did it plenty of times in my 20's and 30's.

I don't think you have a coke problem and need drug rehab. The biggest reason is you simply won't identify with the more hardcore druggies who will have used a medley of what ever they can get, meth, speed, coke, prescription, opioids, benzos, weed.

You'll be sat there thinking to yourself, "I'm not one of these guys, I just wanted to be able to drink more, so I had some coke"

Addiction is not just one big bucket in my opinion.

Alcoholics aren't drug addicts and drug addicts are not alcoholic.

We simply borrow from the other camp, to occasionally meet specific needs.

I've met plenty of NA guys who don't identify with the unquenchable thirst of the actual alcoholic, but when they can't score, they'll drink a bit to get through to the next score. They are actually quite moderate and controlled drinkers though.

For me, there was never anything I really liked about weed, uppers, downers and such, by themselves, but on occasion, to maintain the ability to drink, I would borrow from the other camp so to speak and use some uppers.
I know people who were drug addicts who can drink, also.

This is probably a dumb aside but I believe that alcohol is more of a metabolic addiction, since getting sober, I’ve struggled mightily with sugar, and it feels eerily similar to the alcohol problem. No desire to do benzos (I had them once summer while flying) and no desire to use marijuana, which doesn’t feel “high” to me, haven’t attempted it this quit, no point, despite husband using it recreationally and many people suggesting it to me. the only thing that has made me actually high and euphoric in life are alcohol and sugar. I’m sure I could develop drug addiction if I tried, it just doesn’t seem to wake me up in the same way, I think these are different addictions as well.

That silly thing said, vino: one thing about turning points in life is, you gotta just face sh1t sometimes. You have to go through it. For some reason you’re going to have to face the fact that you used coke. Maybe you aren’t addicted to coke, but millions of people have tackled an alcohol problem institutionally without anyone finding coke in their Urine, you know? It is what it is. It’s part of what you do when you use.

This is about getting better, not about getting better the way you want it to, rehab doesn’t let us choose, if we were able to do it by our own choice (I used AVRT mainly) then we would not be handing choice over to other people. Just surrender to it, and get better.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It says up to 5 days and you did some lines. I think there is a good chance it will be out of your system. I would think the higher end of the limit is for continued use over a period of time. Figure the coke would be getting jammed into your system quicker than you can get rid of it.

You might be something like me, hopefully not as bad I ended up in serious trouble. Once drinking sometimes I would crave cocaine. My trouble was once drinking I had no control of whether or not it would escalate to harder drugs. Almost nobody I knew, knew about my hard drug use. 20 years prior sure but most of us grow out of it by our early 40s. I got caught with cocaine and charged as a felony. In my little town there is a little sort of free newspaper mailed out to everyone every week or maybe every month. It has police reports of us and the next town over. I knew I would be in there and sure enough.... I was so embarrassed about getting popped. I just came clean with friends and family. I have a drinking problem and things like this happen when I drink. It was really no big deal. We tend to focus on the little things that don't really matter. The problem is my drinking and the truth is when I lose control of my drinking it may lead to other drugs. That's the truth of my disease, I am a drug user too and the way I am going to fix this is i am going to get help with my drinking.

For me the drug use is just yet another item on the list of dangerous behaviors and stupid things I do when drinking.

By the time my arrest was actually printed I was already, I guess, a few weeks sober and really running on all cylinders with my higher power. Although a cloud of legal trouble hung over my head I laughed almost uncontrollably reading about my arrest. They say we keep the same mentality of when we were much younger when we first get sober. It was kind of like when my name would get called over the intercom in school to report to in school suspension or something. This became so routine and funny in those days!
Old 02-23-2020, 08:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So what would you do in my situation? Go there, fail the test, tell my dad what happened and go with what the Doctors will suggest?
Exactly.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yep, the chaotic, stupid things I did while drunk are equally as significant in committing to sobriety and coming to terms as the drinking problem itself. And I had to contend with those behaviors after quitting, also. The drinking amplified and was entangled with those behaviors and impulses, but they were still there on some level when I quit drinking.

Impulsivity, the desire to escape, shame, resentment, regret, et al.

I can almost pinpoint what part of myself is the “alcoholic self,” even 2.5 years into sobriety.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
I can almost pinpoint what part of myself is the “alcoholic self,” even 2.5 years into sobriety.
That is brilliant - and one of the greatest gifts of my sobriety. That awareness guides me to keep making the next right choice in every area of my life. It's a worldview.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I would come clean and save the drive.....

I'd tell my Dad and the Dr. I messed up....

Then push the entry date back 3 days or whatever and then get admitted.

At this point honesty and truthfulness will be huge in moving forward.

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's some killer advice here Vino.
Really solid gold advice.

You made a mistake - own it, be honest.
Like Carl says if they offer drug rehab take it.

D
Old 02-24-2020, 06:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey Vino- how are you today?
Old 02-24-2020, 08:38 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey, August!

Thank you for asking. I am a bit less anxious about whole situation. I managed to process these thoughts about tomorrow. If I will be accepted, ok, if I won't, that's ok, too.

I really CRAVE being sober!

BUT,
as always, despite all 400 pages on SR I already read, I caved again. You know how this desease manifests itself. Drank about 1.5l of wine and 1 beer. Also have some weed to burn before the "NEXT STEP".

I am more and more surrendered by this whole situation. I believe that God will put things into right direction sooner or later.