Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Now that you’re sober, what do you do at night?

Notices

Old 12-28-2019, 06:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My old routine was drink until 7:30, eat, then pass out. Sleep (lay in bed)for 10-11 hours and feel like crap in the morning.

For me, my mornings/days/early evenings are so jam packed I don’t have time to get bored. But when 8:00 hits, its new territory for me being up and sober and I’m struggling to find something to pass the time.

Don’t get me wrong, drinking doesn’t even cross my mind. I have so much time on my hands at night now. Just wondering what everybody else filled their nights with.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

9PM is bedtime for me, so...

Sometimes bedtime is 8.

I'm up at 5AM and there's plenty to do all day long to stay busy.

I used to stay up doing God knows what until midnight or so. That led to me becoming an over-weight alcoholic.

Now I'm a sober, fit, healthy weight person with normal hours.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have so many things that keep me busy that I don't want to list them all.

But one thing I do almost every night just before I fall asleep is read my Kindle. I spend a fair amount of money buying electronic books.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I start work early, but I am home by 3pm. I'd have to put a few shots of vodka back just to steady my handwriting to pay bills. I would run some errands, do some cooking for myself and the family. Then lock myself away to watch some TV or youtube. It would be a miracle if I would remember seeing 7:30pm or even 8pm before blackout/passout. Feel like absolute garbage in the morning but would power through it.

On days off, like the weekend or holidays, I'd be in the sauce by mid-morning easy, trashed by late afternoon. Wake up the following morning around 4am wondering why I'm not dead!

Although I'm barely a week into sobriety, I'm already staying up to 10pm easy. Remembering what I watched on TV, even! Now around 3pm I go for my workout at a local park instead of hitting the bottle.

I started de-cluttering my life, so any "downtime" I may have is kept occupied organizing shelves and throwing stuff out.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notch8 View Post
I start work early, but I am home by 3pm. I'd have to put a few shots of vodka back just to steady my handwriting to pay bills. I would run some errands, do some cooking for myself and the family. Then lock myself away to watch some TV or youtube. It would be a miracle if I would remember seeing 7:30pm or even 8pm before blackout/passout. Feel like absolute garbage in the morning but would power through it.

On days off, like the weekend or holidays, I'd be in the sauce by mid-morning easy, trashed by late afternoon. Wake up the following morning around 4am wondering why I'm not dead!

Although I'm barely a week into sobriety, I'm already staying up to 10pm easy. Remembering what I watched on TV, even! Now around 3pm I go for my workout at a local park instead of hitting the bottle.

I started de-cluttering my life, so any "downtime" I may have is kept occupied organizing shelves and throwing stuff out.

It’s like looking into a mirror.

I too started exercising. I was never that big of a tv watcher because I knew I wasn’t going to remember it anyway. I do hear it’s the golden age of tv now so maybe I’ll give that a shot at night.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AKA ComputerMan

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
9PM is bedtime for me, so...

Sometimes bedtime is 8.

I'm up at 5AM and there's plenty to do all day long to stay busy.

I used to stay up doing God knows what until midnight or so. That led to me becoming an over-weight alcoholic.

Now I'm a sober, fit, healthy weight person with normal hours.
How long did it take you to change your bed time? i keep working it back i started from 11 PM and i tried to start at 10:30 Pm and it threw everything out of wack lol. I laid there until midnight watching the clock!
Old 12-28-2019, 06:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AKA ComputerMan

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I have so many things that keep me busy that I don't want to list them all.

But one thing I do almost every night just before I fall asleep is read my Kindle. I spend a fair amount of money buying electronic books.
Yes !!! reading has become a nightly thing for me and i find it very relaxing.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClarkGrizwold View Post
How long did it take you to change your bed time? i keep working it back i started from 11 PM and i tried to start at 10:30 Pm and it threw everything out of wack lol. I laid there until midnight watching the clock!
All through my drinking years I had swing shift or graveyard jobs, so the switch started when I got a day job. Then...

Ya have to go to bed tired.

So whatever that looks like to you. I have a full day, so 9PM is about it for me. Are you getting any exercise? That always helps me to fall asleep and stay asleep. I don't drink caffeine other than one cup of coffee in the morning and an iced tea with my afternoon meal, so that helps. Also, my mind and conscience are clear so I don't lay in bed with anxiety. When I had trouble sleeping I just got up. No need to lie in a dark room torturing myself with my own thoughts.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AKA ComputerMan

I kow i have comented here 3 times but i sware this is it lol

I read and also do pushups until my arms feel like they are going to fall off. it helps to reduce stress and makes me feel great and i do fall asleep faster. And i love putting my headphones on and listening to rock music for a few hours every day, it helps clear my head.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
zjw

initially in early sobriety i paced and was restless asf. i absolutly hated it and had nothing to do with myself. oh sure i did the usual things people suggest but it all was down right awful and i felt horrible i was merely going through the motions and passing the time fake it till you make it if you will. I drank tea and would read etc and pace.

now i guess i feel like a normie of sorts. i chase after the kids cook food and relax and it doesnt feel abnormal to do any of this.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Keep posting Clark! My problem isn’t sleeping. Well, it is but I know that’s just because my mind is getting used to going to bed naturally.

I’ve noticed that I can function just fine right now on 3-4 hours of sleep. My goal is to get to 7 hours. But that still leaves ~4 hours of downtime at night that I need to figure out how to fill.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AKA ComputerMan

Originally Posted by VinnyMcM View Post
Keep posting Clark! My problem isn’t sleeping. Well, it is but I know that’s just because my mind is getting used to going to bed naturally.

I’ve noticed that I can function just fine right now on 3-4 hours of sleep. My goal is to get to 7 hours. But that still leaves ~4 hours of downtime at night that I need to figure out how to fill.
MUSIC MUSIC AND more MUSIC sometimes I will put my headphones on and listen to music for 3 hours in the evening and it really helps you wind down from the day. heck I am listening to music right now, led zeppelin on my lap top. what kind of music do you like??
Old 12-28-2019, 07:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My music taste is all over the place. Being from northern WI, you’re kind of forced into country so I listen to a lot of that. On the opposite side of the spectrum, I do like hip-hop. Not mumble rap and fake artists (lil Wayne and drake. Artists who actually portray a positive message.

What I really recently got into is any song about alcohol/drug recovery. It’s inspirational to hear even with millions of dollars and fame, these artists use their stage to voice problems that they are going through that us “normal” folk go through.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
AKA ComputerMan

Originally Posted by VinnyMcM View Post
My music taste is all over the place. Being from northern WI, you’re kind of forced into country so I listen to a lot of that. On the opposite side of the spectrum, I do like hip-hop. Not mumble rap and fake artists (lil Wayne and drake. Artists who actually portray a positive message.

What I really recently got into is any song about alcohol/drug recovery. It’s inspirational to hear even with millions of dollars and fame, these artists use their stage to voice problems that they are going through that us “normal” folk go through.
have you tried some podcasts I listen to this one every other day
https://www.soberpod.com/
Old 12-28-2019, 07:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Reading books bro it helped me so so so so much especially with sleep .. or documentaries or recovery podcasts etc ?
Old 12-28-2019, 08:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Books. I think you might be on to something there. Haven’t read since I was forced to in college. Looking for a brand new hobby and that just might be the ticket.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I get insomnia sometimes, so I have gotten good at filling time. I do Pinterest a lot if I can't sleep. I also pick a show with several seasons and will trickle through that if I feel like it. I use the evenings to clean, so sometimes I put on headphones and catch up on housework. I'm very introverted, so I don't get the itch to go out in my free time. I do enough of that for work!
Old 12-28-2019, 08:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EmeraldCoastGal View Post
I get insomnia sometimes, so I have gotten good at filling time. I do Pinterest a lot if I can't sleep. I also pick a show with several seasons and will trickle through that if I feel like it. I use the evenings to clean, so sometimes I put on headphones and catch up on housework. I'm very introverted, so I don't get the itch to go out in my free time. I do enough of that for work!
I too am introverted and a complete homebody. My wife works long hours so between 5:00-8:00 I am cleaning, making dinner, bathing the kids, doing homework, etc. I am exhausted by the time I get the kids down. Not complaining. My life outside of booze is great. Just need to find something to fill that void between 8:00-12:00. I think I might give reading a try and catch up on some Netflix. Everyone needs some mindless entertainment sometimes!
Old 12-28-2019, 08:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

- Go to IOP
- Read and post on SR
That pretty much fills up all of my time in the evenings at the moment!

Once I'm done with IOP, I intend to go to a meeting every evening for at least a good long time, continue to read and post here, read and study recovery and mental health literature independently, listen to "This American Life" and "The Moth Radio Hour" while doing some more coloring to switch up my avatar, have good long cozy chats with people who love me and new friends I'd like to cultivate, work on jigsaw puzzles, and... I dunno what else. Other stuff will come up, I presume.

The possibilities are endless, really.
-take a walk
-do a crossword
-read a book
-start writing a book
-learn how to knit
-bake cookies
-clean out the junk drawer
-download the pokemon go game on your phone and go downtown to start playing it (we can become friends; I already play)
-go to a meeting
-try a new food
-cruise a thrift shop to see what interesting bargain you might find
-go to the book store and read for awhile
-go to the library!
-vaccuum the heat vents (when's the last time you did that?)
-etc etc etc

If you are flailing about, make a list of things today for tomorrow. And do them, even if it feels weird. Include on your list to make a new list for the next day.

In my mind, the essential recipe includes pointed efforts to sustain/shore up sobriety, continued work to improve my mental well-being (meds, therapy, mindfulness), connection to others, doing things to engage my brain and others that allow me to disengage in a healthy way. Topped off with physical activity - that will come in time, no doubt. But for me, my insides are in the most critical need of scaffolding right now.

O
Old 12-28-2019, 09:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
- Go to IOP
- Read and post on SR
That pretty much fills up all of my time in the evenings at the moment!

Once I'm done with IOP, I intend to go to a meeting every evening for at least a good long time, continue to read and post here, read and study recovery and mental health literature independently, listen to "This American Life" and "The Moth Radio Hour" while doing some more coloring to switch up my avatar, have good long cozy chats with people who love me and new friends I'd like to cultivate, work on jigsaw puzzles, and... I dunno what else. Other stuff will come up, I presume.

The possibilities are endless, really.
-take a walk
-do a crossword
-read a book
-start writing a book
-learn how to knit
-bake cookies
-clean out the junk drawer
-download the pokemon go game on your phone and go downtown to start playing it (we can become friends; I already play)
-go to a meeting
-try a new food
-cruise a thrift shop to see what interesting bargain you might find
-go to the book store and read for awhile
-go to the library!
-vaccuum the heat vents (when's the last time you did that?)
-etc etc etc

If you are flailing about, make a list of things today for tomorrow. And do them, even if it feels weird. Include on your list to make a new list for the next day.

In my mind, the essential recipe includes pointed efforts to sustain/shore up sobriety, continued work to improve my mental well-being (meds, therapy, mindfulness), connection to others, doing things to engage my brain and others that allow me to disengage in a healthy way. Topped off with physical activity - that will come in time, no doubt. But for me, my insides are in the most critical need of scaffolding right now.

O
Great advice! I already do the list for tomorrow and that has done wonders for filling out my mornings and days. Thanks for the suggestions!