Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Now that you’re sober, what do you do at night?

Notices

Now that you’re sober, what do you do at night?

Old 12-28-2019, 09:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have learned through my previous stints of sobriety, that bedtime routine is everything. Beings that is dark by 5pm, I usually start winding it down by 7:30or so, at least weeknights.

I may watch an episode of something light (Hawaii 5-0 reboot at the moment) followed by some reading, usually a magazine. I am reading two books right now. One by the comedian (and former addict) Russell Brand. Another on money management. I usually read until I begin to nod off, then its lights out.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:26 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notch8 View Post
I have learned through my previous stints of sobriety, that bedtime routine is everything. Beings that is dark by 5pm, I usually start winding it down by 7:30or so, at least weeknights.

I may watch an episode of something light (Hawaii 5-0 reboot at the moment) followed by some reading, usually a magazine. I am reading two books right now. One by the comedian (and former addict) Russell Brand. Another on money management. I usually read until I begin to nod off, then its lights out.
How is the Brand book? I think that’s exactly what I’m looking for. A comedic approach to addiction.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Go to meetings, read, youtube, walking.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VinnyMcM View Post
How is the Brand book? I think that’s exactly what I’m looking for. A comedic approach to addiction.
Its called Recovery: Freedom from our addictions. I'm only a few chapters in. He takes the typical 12-step program and makes it a bit less "spiritual" and more practical. If you have ever seen his standup or heard him talk, you will read the book in his dry-British accent!!

So far, so good!
Old 12-28-2019, 11:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I do all the things I couldn't do when I was an active drunk. I have much more time, energy, money and abilities now that i don't drink anymore.

Our addiction would love to have us think that we are limited in our choices because alcohol is not involved, but if anything it is exactly the opposite.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Life while drunk was: wake up - drink - pass out - repeat

Sober, I travel a lot, I go to a lot of gigs and sporting events. On an evening in my apartment, I watch films, play a game, or just enjoy some music.

In the past 18 months of sobriety the amount of bands I've discovered is tremendous.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm only in the early days so still getting my new nightly routine in order but so far I find eating earlier helps to reduce my old drinking time then I read, watch some tv, clean if needed or can be bothered and organise shopping lists etc for the next day or week then I fall asleep listening to sobriety podcasts. The best bit so far is waking up with energy.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

This was a big thing for me. My most active drinking hours were from 7pm to 10pm even though I'd drink all day anyway. These were the hours where I would sometimes consume more than a liter of liquor before bedtime.

When I got sober, I remember the first 6-9 months, I would feel like i was going nuts between those hours. It finally went away, but I had to fill those hours with a lot of activity until my mind and body stopped going there out of routine.

I collect cars, so I started working on restoring some of them and some nights I'd binge on netflix. Other nights, it was painting or drawing, or snacking on enough ice cream or hot wings to kill a horse. Just anything to take my mind off booze.

Eventually, that restless boredom turns to peace, you just need to give it time.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Being from northern WI, you’re kind of forced into country so I listen to a lot of that.
Can you read a book or something else?
Old 12-29-2019, 05:21 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tynesider22 View Post
Life while drunk was: wake up - drink - pass out - repeat
Disgusting. I only say this because that was my exact routine.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
Can you read a book or something else?
I think that’s the route I’m going to go. It would be a brand new hobby for me and that’s what I’m looking for. Notch gave me a great suggestion on a recovery book that’s non-spiritual which is right up my alley. Going to pick it up today!
Old 12-29-2019, 12:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Disgusting. I only say this because that was my exact routine.
Not something I'm proud of. In fact, it's something I want to distance myself from as far as possible.