Notices

Pros and Cons of counting sober time

Old 11-21-2019, 09:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I didn't count the days for two reasons. The first being that I did not believe t was possible for me to recover. The second was it was a bit discouraging to realize I only had three days, when the fellow across the hall had an incredible three weeks!

When my sponsor told me I had made three months, I probably counted the months for a while, but these days just the years as each new year rolls around. It is pretty incredible to me to have made a full and long term recovery. The time has some relevance to me in the sense that when I find someone with the exact same problem as me, I can be an example of a successful approach.

A few years back I met a man in a rehab we called the Hotel California. You have to be pretty bad to get in there, and most don't survive more than a couple of years after discharge. My friend was on his 13th admission to rehab and had been sober the entire time he was in the rehab, which at that stage was about three weeks. I met him at an institutional AA meeting, after which we talked a bit and it turned out he had the exact same problem as I had had.

However he had an alternative solution which was much better than mine and he was determined to continue to pursue that. What can you do? Wish him well and encourage him to follow his conscience. But there was nothing there to suggest it would be wise to follow him.

When a specific problem is identified, and a solution presented, a good bit of time successfully applying that solution is quite important to establish credibility.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For me, counting days was very important in early sobriety, because I discovered that not knowing how many days I had made it easier to relapse. Knowing how many days I had gave me a better idea of how much progress I had made and how much progress I would be losing by drinking again.

After the early days, counting became less important, but I still count because I like to know my total. Just don't necessarily do it every day.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Grateful

I've gotten sober 3 times. My first sobriety date was April 8th, 1990, the 2nd time I got sober was August 3rd, 1997, and my current sobriety date is April 17th, 2013. My first stretch of sobriety lasted for around 6.5 years, my second stretch of sobriety lasted around 7 years, and currently I have 6 years and 7 months. It's interesting how I remember the sobriety dates but I don't remember the relapse dates.

I remember my sobriety dates like I remember most other important anniversary dates in my life. I've had 2 open heart surgeries and I remember both of those dates (March 17th, 2004 & February 22nd, 2011). I've been divorced for over 20 years and still remember my wedding date (although I don't remember my divorce date ).

I stopped counting days around 6 months and stopped counting months around 2 years, but I have always remembered the day I decided to quit as it changed my life so much for the better. I also use the sobriety calculator on occasion to see how many days I've amassed (2,410) and post in the "Occasionally I (we) just like to count our days sober" thread for fun, and hopefully to motive others that they can do it too.
Old 11-25-2019, 11:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Someone in a meeting once said, the person here with the longest time in sobriety is whoever woke up first today

A clever way of saying, all we have is today