View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 04:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Grungehead
Grateful

I've gotten sober 3 times. My first sobriety date was April 8th, 1990, the 2nd time I got sober was August 3rd, 1997, and my current sobriety date is April 17th, 2013. My first stretch of sobriety lasted for around 6.5 years, my second stretch of sobriety lasted around 7 years, and currently I have 6 years and 7 months. It's interesting how I remember the sobriety dates but I don't remember the relapse dates.

I remember my sobriety dates like I remember most other important anniversary dates in my life. I've had 2 open heart surgeries and I remember both of those dates (March 17th, 2004 & February 22nd, 2011). I've been divorced for over 20 years and still remember my wedding date (although I don't remember my divorce date ).

I stopped counting days around 6 months and stopped counting months around 2 years, but I have always remembered the day I decided to quit as it changed my life so much for the better. I also use the sobriety calculator on occasion to see how many days I've amassed (2,410) and post in the "Occasionally I (we) just like to count our days sober" thread for fun, and hopefully to motive others that they can do it too.