Notices

Anxiety question

Old 11-22-2004, 09:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety question

Hello this is my first time posting here :shysmile: ,
i've been reading the message board for a little while though. Anyway here's a little intro and a question.
I've had an alcohol problem for a number of years now, I'm a 29 year old female living in the UK,and even though my drinking certainly isn't as bad as it was because I only drink very occasionally, I still seem to need to have a drink in certain situations to calm my nerves, and I fear that this occasional drink (sometimes on weekends and rare social situations),will regress to my everyday drinking habit of old,and I really don't want that to happen.Just recently I was so anxious when at a concert that I downed brandy (stupid I know) before the show,then proceeded to drink non-stop throughout and the next thing I new was I was waking up in the hospital hours later to discover that I'd blacked-out with no memory of how I'd got there.This totally scared me because this hadn't happened for a long time.I tend to blackout very easily.

So my question is,does anyone here know of any meds that can help deal with nerves and anxiety without being too harmfull?.I'm going to the doc's on Friday and I thought I could use this opportunity to ask him for a prescription for something.I must deal with this anxiety problem,I'm taking something called ciparlex at the moment but it really isn't helping with the nerves.I really want alcohol out of my life completey and I now need to face this problem head on,I stopped pretending to myself that there wasn't a problem long ago so being able to conquer one of the reasons for even needing to drink would be very liberating.
Anyway sorry to ramble on,any help or suggestions would be great.

Waif
:hello2
Old 11-23-2004, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Waif and welcome to SR,

Well, I can relate. I have an anxiety disorder and tried to self-medicate with alcohol for many years. This, of course, turned disatrous. I would experience more anxiety after stopping drinking, and would be so anxious that I would need to drink more to calm my nerves, turning it into one big viscious cycle.

For me, anyway, medication helps some with the anxiety but I relalized that alcohol was the precursor instigating much of my anxiety in the first place. I'm hoping that by removing alcohol from the equation, I can deal with the anxiety on a more rational level. In other words, I wasn't giving the medication the chance to do it's job because I was undermining myself with my alcohol abuse. I'm an alcoholic, and once I start dealing with that reality, I'm hoping the rest of my life, including the anxiety, can be dealt with one step at a time.

Only a doctor can tell you if you have an anxiety disorder, and prescribe medication, if necassary. I do hope you bring this up at your doctor's vist and I hope you can be honest with them about your alcohol use, that is very important in making a diagnoses.

I wish you the best with your appointment, and I hope you post back and let us know how it goes.

Take care,

Thorn
Old 11-23-2004, 10:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi waif,glad you posted.

I believe that alcohol is cunning, baffling , and powerful and there were many times in the past when I thought I was "regaining control of my drinking"

There were instances where I thought I was winning the fight because I was able to go for weeks with just having a couple of beers.But some event always occured that would precipitate another binge of wild abandon.It could be something as small as an argument with the girlfriend to something major like a death in the family.

In the face of emotional stress I always ran back to the one thing I thought would give me solace..............alcohol......

For years I could not understand my baffling behaviour when it came to alcohol but AA was able to enlighten me about the "nature of my disease" and being informed is a big step on the road to recovery from alcoholism.

As far as your anxiety is concerned the suggestions I will make is talk to a health care professional about the alternative of herbal treatment.

As an alcoholic I am very wary when it comes to prescription medicines.

Speak to professional counsellor about your anxieties and fears.

Get online and get informed about alcoholism,anxiety medications,herbal alternatives and of course prescription meds.

Keep coming back.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Waif and welcome to SR

It's good that you found this site because there are lots of people her who can share similar experiences and give you hope.

I'm a recovering alcoholic with two months of wonderful sobriety under my belt.

It sounds like you're in a bit of a vicious circle at the moment. Drinking to relieve the anxiety and then having the onset of anxiety through the effects of drinking. In this situation somethings has to give!

I had a similar situation with anxiety when I left the Army. Boy did I rely on drink to numb my senses. Eventually I started one to one counselling in order to deal with my combat related stress issues. This worked wonders.

By the time I started to address my stress and anxiety, alcohol had become a major problem, running rampan tover everything I cherished in my life. I tried cutting back and eventually went two months without drinking. I was unable to keep this up on my own, so I started going to AA meetings two months ago. This has turned out to be the key for me. Being able to listen to others and share my experiences without being judged. The AA fellowship really is a wonderful environment where people from all walks of life meet. It has certainly given me strength and courage to remain sober.

I hope your Doctor's appointment goes well. You might also want to check out a meeting or two with your local AA group. It certainly can't hurt.

I wish you the best.

Rich
Old 11-23-2004, 03:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your advice and warm welcomes!.You've certainly given me lot's to think about. Herbal alternative relaxation medications sound like a good area to explore, also possibly one to one counselling might be helpful.

I shall stick around and keep reading this message board and try to glean any useful info that I can.

Waif

Old 11-23-2004, 07:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome Waif! I also self medicated with alcohol for many years to help with anxiety. I aslo had panic attacks. I finally got te courage up to talk to a Doctor. He put me on Paxil. After adjusting the dosage a few times, the anxiety is now managable. Also talking things through with a therapist helps me. If drinking is also a problem, you may want to check out AA, as others mentioned. I wish you the best!
Old 11-23-2004, 11:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Waif,

I have anxiety/depression too and couldn't get it properly diagnosed so eventually turned to alcohol to self-medicate. What a mistake that was! I now take anti-depressants which help a lot with the depression and usually keep the anxiety at a level I am satisfied with. Talking to your dr is a great idea.

Before trying herbal rememdies I would suggest you search on the interenet to check on their side-effects.

Anna