View Single Post
Old 11-23-2004, 09:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thorn

Hi Waif and welcome to SR,

Well, I can relate. I have an anxiety disorder and tried to self-medicate with alcohol for many years. This, of course, turned disatrous. I would experience more anxiety after stopping drinking, and would be so anxious that I would need to drink more to calm my nerves, turning it into one big viscious cycle.

For me, anyway, medication helps some with the anxiety but I relalized that alcohol was the precursor instigating much of my anxiety in the first place. I'm hoping that by removing alcohol from the equation, I can deal with the anxiety on a more rational level. In other words, I wasn't giving the medication the chance to do it's job because I was undermining myself with my alcohol abuse. I'm an alcoholic, and once I start dealing with that reality, I'm hoping the rest of my life, including the anxiety, can be dealt with one step at a time.

Only a doctor can tell you if you have an anxiety disorder, and prescribe medication, if necassary. I do hope you bring this up at your doctor's vist and I hope you can be honest with them about your alcohol use, that is very important in making a diagnoses.

I wish you the best with your appointment, and I hope you post back and let us know how it goes.

Take care,

Thorn